PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's not our fault on this thread that Brexit looks set to happen, it's not our business to ask how people voted or why, it's not for us to persuade people who think we're bonkers to take responsibility for their own future, it's not for us to sooth their anger and it's not for us to be a dumb and submitting verbal punch bag for them to vent their ire upon either! Differences of opinion and alternative points of view are healthy and we can all learn something new from listening to them BUT downright aggressive rudeness and the constant re-phrasing of the it's not fair and in a first world country 'why should we have to' is only ever going to elicit a brusque response!

I've NEVER 'kow-towed' to anyone or anything in my entire life, I'm bolshie by nature and I don't take gladly to being 'told'! If the whole idea of Brexit offends then don't come on to a dedicated thread to find answers to your questions lovey, we all accept (not always gladly) that it's going to happen and are simply trying to make the happening and the 'afterwards' as easy for ourselves as we can. If you don't understand why anyone should have to prepare for anything I feel you must have had a very nice and level life in a safe place with loving people around you and not know adversity. If that's so I'm delighted for you and hope that your untrammelled existence continues in the same vein forever. Many of us haven't been that fortunate and do know how grindingly tough and hard life is at times and because of that we don't sit and wail unfair because we know that's a waste of time and breath and it changes nothing. We'll just get on with prepping in our own ways and hope that if you chose to do nothing one of your acquaintance has a spare stash to help you through what may be difficult times. If they aren't you'll have the last laugh and can say 'I told you so' and we'll be wrong and the daft old bats we seem to be. It's a wait and see isn't it?
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2018 at 8:34AM
    Options
    Excellent post, Mrs LW.

Having grown up in a country with supply issues, and with a mother who experienced wartime shortages, I've always had a contingency cupboard. I was also a Girl Guide, motto: "Be Prepared".

In lean times the contingency cupboard, aka continuity cupboard, has been a godsend. When I've been unwell and unable to get to the shops, ditto.

It's just prudence, after all, and I'm minded of the custom in Scotland in long bygone days of sending the student off to university with their stores, traditionally a sack of oatmeal and a barrel of salt herring.

I do think people can use the coming of Brexit to consider how best, e.g. to eat locally and reduce food miles. I was a great admirer of the Fife Diet project, which encouraged people to buy food locally and reduce food miles. I am not on a large budget (I pay no income tax as my income is below the threshold), but I have a weekly organic veg box, and buy locally grown meat, poultry and eggs. I'm fortunate to be only catering for myself these days. But it's simply prudence to accept that keeping contingency supplies can even out peaks and troughs in the supply chain.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 9 August 2018 at 9:01AM
    Options
    Tori.....what a great analogy, global capitalism is indeed a form of cancer.

Whilst global capitalism has brought us huge advantages, helping to lift billions out of poverty it does have its more sinister and negative connotations,....exploitation of workers, depletion of resources, destruction of wildlife and natural habitats - these we already know and understand.

However I think there is another face to global capitalism, one perhaps we haven't given much thought to......until now. I think by its very success in bringing ease and comfort to billions it has also made us over reliant on others to supply our needs and wants.

Why grow food when it is easier to nip to the supermarket or even have it delivered, why make your own clothes when it is cheaper and easier to buy them......the list goes on.

When goods and services are cheap then people are obviously going to take the easy way out. There is nothing wrong with this but it does mean that many of us may have lost the practical skills and the mindset needed to stand on our two feet, especially our younger folk who have never known anything but ease and plenty.

The other thing to remember about capitalism, is that by its very nature, it is subject to boom and bust cycles. Whether we like it or not we are heading for recession. When, how long and how deep the next one will be is anyone's guess it, but with or without Brexit, another recession is waiting in the wings.

As some of us "oldies" on here can testify.......nothing teaches so well as experience. Life does indeed throw curved balls and those of us who have experienced challenging times will know that being prepared, with a well stocked food cupboard, alternative fuel supplies, and some cash in the house can ensure that we can ride out the bad times in some measure of comfort and security.

Many animals do exactly this.....squirrels stock pile nuts for example..... whilst bears feast through summer, laying down fat so they can hibernate through winter. Humans are no different. As many of us have already admitted, we tend to stock up a bit for winter anyway, so prepping for Brexit is really no different.

To those like Melanzana who have never had to plan ahead before well then you have been very fortunate. My children are in their 30s, they have known nothing but comfort and ease. One is nervous about Brexit the other is sanguine. Neither had given a thought about making any preparations until we had a bit of a chat recently.

On a personal level I don't think it will be all doom and gloom.....the world will still want to trade with us and the EU will still want to trade with us. There might be some logistical difficulties and no doubt there will be increased beaurocracy but I don't think these difficulties will be insurmountable.

Yes I shall stock up on some things, I do every winter. But this time I shall just buy a bit more not necessarily because of short supplies but in my case I know that, because I'm moving house and will be having to pay for a lot of renovations then money is going to be a bit tight for a while. So for me I shall be stocking up as a financial investment.

At a time when savings rates are low then I'm going to put some of my money into goods to protect myself against raising prices for a while until my finances are less strained. Call it Hedge Fund Management.....:rotfl:

I run my personal finances the way I ran my businesses. i think and plan ahead, I try to prepare for lean times, bad weather, recessions and now Brexit.

Using two well worn cliches here.......I make hay while the sun shines whilst keeping a weather eye out for storms on the horizon.

I dont think this is panic, sensationalism or doom mongering, to me it's just simple common sense and being pragmatic. Or in business terms, contingency planning.

As any good Girl Guide will tell you......."be prepared". ;)
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Mrs LW......posts crossed.

I have never Kowtowed in my life either.....I was once invited to meet Princess Margaret.... I declined. No way was I going to curtsy. :rotfl:

I have reached a stage in my life where I simply don't care what people think of me. If they dislike me or think I'm a daft old bat then that's their prerogative.

"It is not my business what people think of me" :rotfl:

Anyway it seems like we may be legally completing by the end of August. Once I've moved in the prepping can begin. First jobs will be get the open chimney swept and checked, boiler and gas fire checked and serviced. And start shopping......
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Some very rational, well-reasoned posts here. It makes a change from some of the hysterical rantings that have been posted previously. I agree with Melanzana that it is ridiculous the amount of panic that is going on, as if we were about to be wiped off the face of the Earth because of political events. Prepping for adverse circumstances makes good sense, remember the bad winters we have had in recent years, where people could not get out to the shops in some places, and there were empty shelves in supermarkets? That is why we have storecupboards which can be raided to feed our families without having to go near a shop for days or even weeks, depending on what we store. Thinking ahead to March 2019, I am thinking of also stocking up on pet foods so Albert, Patsy and Molly don't suffer. Even if the food is made in the U.K. you bet your life that the barstewards will still increase their prices and find a way to blame it on Brexit!
    One life - your life - live it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Same list Lessonlearned, first act in our new home will be to get in a woodstove firm and install a stove because I love ours here and don't want to be without one. Everything serviced is next and stock up is third. Luckily we're not downsizing and will still have the 4th bedroom to use as the pantry/store and much more storage in the huge kitchen that's in the house we're moving to almost double the capacity of this one here and this one is 28 x 12 and cupboarded entirely floor to ceiling on almost half of it. New house has what was the existing kitchen and an enormous extension which more than doubles up on it's size but on a different floor level (2 steps down) that runs into a pretty big conservatory all in one enormous room, it's wonderful!

I don't leave things to chance, I like to drive my own life as well as I can.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    zeupater wrote: »
    Hi

Don't know whether this will help relieve the anxiety, but have you tried to find out where the medication is manufactured as there's a fair chance that it'll be in the UK ...

The government themselves don't seem to anticipate much of a problem, however it does look like there'll be a forward-build of contingency stocks for the NHS to cover issues at changeover.

Maybe this would be of interest, it probably won't help at an individual level, but it does provide a view of what the industry itself believes the general position to be ... https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201719/cmselect/cmbeis/382/38205.htm ... (2/16)
    HTH
    Z

Thanks for that. I have tried to find out where it is from but can't pin it down. Our pharmacist is lovely so I will ask her when she gets back, she is on holiday in her home country. She is from the EU so I'm hoping she will stay in the UK after Brexit. I often go to her instead of the GP and get my flu jab from her.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    Much of the changes in prescription issuing (no longer giving 6 monthly prescriptions; and in our area, at least, stopping the pharmacies ordering repeat prescriptions) is to do with trying to reduce the wastage of medicines. Often 6 monthly prescriptions would be issued only for something to change halfway through, and then the original prescriptions would be wasted as they can't be re-used by the pharmacy. My pharmacist also said that a lot of people were requesting automatic ordering of prescriptions and then not pick them up (for a variety of reasons - sometimes death, sadly).
    I now have to re-order my own prescription on a monthly basis, although I can then have it sent to a designated pharmacy (or I could choose to pick it up in person to take elsewhere). Although I appreciate this system can be a little less convenient for some, in effect I can build up a small stash of medicine by requesting my prescription a few days earlier each month. By the way, I believe the pharmacy can still order in certain cases but it has to be requested specifically.
    I too don't really care who voted in/out/or if they shook it all about and abstained - we now just have to get on with life in the best way we believe suits ourselves. I stockpile most autumns/winters as I am not always steady on my feet and don't want to go out if it is icy. I like to think that if I have a few tins of tomatoes, a couple of onions and some pasta or rice, I have the basis of a reasonably satisfying meal - just add whatever protein is available. So tomatoes and baked beans are always a staple for me. Not so much tinned veg. but taking previous posters' advice I will add them in, even if only to make soup. Bread flour and dried yeast will also be put by, along with some tinned pulses. But my "apocalypse cupboard" (as my children call it) won't be much bigger for Brexit than for normal preparations. The other thing I am good at is being adaptable to whatever is in the supermarket, rather than going in with a fixed idea of what I want, so learning some new recipes with more seasonal, local produce could also be good preparation.

I do understand about the over ordering but in my case I have been on the same dose of the same med for over 10 years and the pharmacy only ever gave out 2 months at a time so a six month prescription was issued in 3 stages. It seemed sensible and worked well.
  • humptydumptybits
    Options
    There's been the warning from the government to start to stock up on food hasn't there? just because life has been wine and roses and pink sunsets for all of an existence doesn't mean it can't and won't change whether you want it to or not. The wartime references are ONLY because people had to be extremely innovative with their thinking to make a better life for themselves on limited availability while it was happening and some of the things they found as solutions work, if they worked then they'll work now IF and only if we need them. No we're not at war, no we haven't got air raid sirens ringing out why would they? it's not a TV programme and it's not an historical re-enactment happening it's real life and whether it's fair or not, whether it should be happening in a first world country or not it IS happening and we all have to deal with it. Don't accuse us of liking to 'play' at prepping because it amuses us, we each of us prep for different reasons, we've all had very different lives and we all see a pertinent reason to take responsibility for our own lives, it harms no one, it's not for 'fun' and if you'd ever got up into an ice cold room in the middle of winter and had to put back on wet shoes when you've got chilblains and walk 5 miles to work and back you'd realise that's not fun either but if I'd had the foresight to have been able to have a second pair of shoes that were dry it would have a darned sight comfier.

That is what I don't understand, the govt are advising us to stock up and yet people continue to say it isn't necessary. I don't know if they don't want to consider it or they think the govt is making it up but it just seems sensible to have some stuff in the cupboard. If nothing goes wrong we will eat it anyway so nothing lost. I'm not buying masses but I am buying a couple of items every week, just stuff like baked beans, kidney beans, tuna and most important tea bags because I can't bear the thought of no tea.
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do understand about the over ordering but in my case I have been on the same dose of the same med for over 10 years and the pharmacy only ever gave out 2 months at a time so a six month prescription was issued in 3 stages. It seemed sensible and worked well.

Yes, my meds. have been stable too for many years, and the previous system worked well for me. But not everyone is as diligent as you or I may be, and my pharmacist told me that there is an awful lot of wastage because people don't come in and pick up their prescriptions, and the meds. can't just be put back into stores once prescribed (and sat on the shelf for a week or so) - and this is in a small, local pharmacy. I don't understand people not picking up prescriptions as I need mine to stay well, but apparently it is quite a common thing, so something had to be done to prevent the waste.

Anyway, back to storing food etc. I think Weemidgie makes a good point about considering what we eat and where it's from. I do this quite regularly as i keep a spreadsheet of my monthly outgoings as I am on a fixed income below the tax threshold. I have noticed that the last couple of months has seen quite an increase despite not feeling as if I am buying extras (the salted caramel ice cream doesn't count ) so had already been looking at the best way to reduce this again whilst at the same time being able to buy one or two extra tins etc. a week. I realised that, as I had not been able to grow much of my own veg, this year, I have gotten into the routine of just throwing in some salad items (especially in the lovely weather) without looking at the source.
    This, to me is the benefit of a thread like this (I also haunt the main prepping thread). Some of it isn't for me but sometimes I read something that I can take on board (and sometimes adapt for my way of life) or at least makes me think/re-think about things I have been doing. I don't think anyone should judge anyone else for their lifestyle choices as long as they are not hurting anyone else. Most of the judgement I have experienced about how I live seems to come from those who feel my way of life somehow invalidates their choices. Frankly I couldn't care less.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback