PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Loft Conversion no proven buildings regs - renegotiate price - help!

Comments

• BakingC
    BakingC Posts: 119 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    If they cannot prove it is up to scratch I would say best to leave it and count yourself lucky

My mum bought a house with a loft conversion without proper proof of being stable. Mortgage company / solicitors said they didnt mind as it had been up a while and seemed secure, now we need the roof fully redone as it has started to collapse under the weight as the supports had been thinned to make room for the loft.
  • Doozergirl
    Doozergirl Posts: 33,804 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Just to go back to the beginning, of course you renegotiate. I know the survey belongs to you but it's pretty damning and will back you up more than just not having the relvant approval.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
  • Kulpio
    Kulpio Posts: 11 Forumite
    Hoploz wrote: »
    Have you actually investigated whether it had planning / building control? The surveyor doesn't know and is assuming.

I must admit it doesn't sound good ... Personally I'd be concerned about the woodworm.

The owner is in a care home, it is being sorted by a relative. The estate agent said they wouldnt be able to find any documents like that. I mean they struggled to find the deeds, apparently. So we are now assuming there is none as no one can provide any

Woodworm can be treated right
  • Hoploz
    Hoploz Posts: 3,888 Forumite
    And when you do renegotiate, remember, it's not the lack of a 20 year old piece of paper that's the issue - the survey has highlighted structural problems which will require rectifying.

I would only be buying this if it was the only choice and would definitely be a forever home. It's going to be a lot of hassle getting repairs done as its all hidden and will need opening up.
  • Kulpio
    Kulpio Posts: 11 Forumite
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    What did the surveyor value the property at in it's current state?

Other interested parties are going to encounter the same issues. If the property is highly desirable due to location for example. Then having the neccessary work done may not be an issue for some people. As they might have bigger plans for the property.

The surveyor did not give a value in his report. I am not sure the other parties know about the issues, the estate agents certainly do know but didnt tell us or anyone. They said, well the vendors were selling it as a project. Then why not be clear with us to start with... The other top offer came from someone deep in a chain whereas we are non-chain so it is helpful for them.
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    I think the problem is that loads of buyers won't be even remotely fazed by the stuff you've quoted and the sellers will know that. With the level of interest you've mentioned my guess is they'd remarket the house in a heartbeat if you try to get a chunk of money off the price.

You say nobody's helping you. What sort of help do you want? The solicitor can answer legal questions and the surveyor can tell you about the property. The estate agent is working for the seller. There's no one whose job it is to advise you what to do in this situation. Decisions about whether or not to proceed and whether to reduce your offer are for you to make on your own.

If I were you I'd ring the surveyor to gauge whether anything needs doing to the conversion.
  • Doozergirl
    Stuff needs doing to it.

Come on guys, shoddy building work does exist and indemnity policies don't fix that. Let's be a little more thoughtful when offering up advice about indemnity policies and when they are suitable, by asking a few more questions.
  • spadoosh
    spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
    Doozergirl wrote: »
    Stuff needs doing to it.

Come on guys, shoddy building work does exist and indemnity policies don't fix that. Let's be a little more thoughtful when offering up advice about indemnity policies and when they are suitable, by asking a few more questions.

C'mon doozer, youre drawing on a comment that was the third post in direct reply to the OP. One which was lacking in much detail.

I saw a new poster, i saw that what is a typical solution in these fairly common situations (lack of regulatory approval) hadnt been suggested and i recommended that the conversation was had with a solicitor about it. I also pointed out that it doesnt cover the bad work it covers the lack of approvals.

I get it, youre the oracle in these here parts of the forum. Ill be directing any and all questions on this forum to your PM account as my advice is clearly unsuitable and you will know better.

Pompous person.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    To sort this house out you are going to need a lot of spare cash.
  • Doozergirl
    edited 8 August 2018 at 5:46PM
    spadoosh wrote: »
    C'mon doozer, youre drawing on a comment that was the third post in direct reply to the OP. One which was lacking in much detail.

I saw a new poster, i saw that what is a typical solution in these fairly common situations (lack of regulatory approval) hadnt been suggested and i recommended that the conversation was had with a solicitor about it. I also pointed out that it doesnt cover the bad work it covers the lack of approvals.

I get it, youre the oracle in these here parts of the forum. Ill be directing any and all questions on this forum to your PM account as my advice is clearly unsuitable and you will know better.

Pompous person.

I'm not trying to be pompous, I'm genuinely encouraging people to take more information from the OP and try to offer advice that is a little more tailored to them. You didn't have the info and answered, okay. We got some more information and the subsequent advice needs to be tailored to that. I'll often guide people to an indemnity policy too. Some things aren't worth losing sleep over.

My post was general but if it was in reply to anyone, it was shortcrust in the post above mine, who was saying that people wouldn't be bothered by it and asking if anything needed to be done even after the OP posted a pretty rubbish report from the surveyor that didn't just say 'you should check for permissions'. Perhaps shortcrust didn't read the replies or something.

It does concern me that there can be a sort of consensus on the board that one should ignore much of a survey report as backside covering by a surveyor. I totally see that these reports can make quite trivial things seem complicated to new buyers but comprehensive reports are valuable reports and can contain issues with quite expensive resolutions that people gloss over.

FWIW, if I do get PMs, I usually ask people to post on the boards and I'll reply to them there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure