iCloud & 2 step verification - not very good?

Options
My wife and I use find my iPhone when we need to know where the other is (quicker than texting/waiting on a reply and if the other is driving or working late at no notice then calling is no good either). She had some old iPhones listed on her account and wanted them removed.

I found that this could be done by logging in to iCloud on a PC and removing them that way so went to log on. As the correct details were entered it said a code had been sent to an iDevice and this 2 step verification code needed to be entered.

No problem as we had the device at hand.

However what if you lose your phone for example and you want to erase it via iCloud at a PC? You'll get this enter a code message which you obviously wont be able to do - as you'll have lost the phone.

Is there no way round that? Just seemed a bit of a potential problem to me.

Comments

• custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    My wife and I use find my iPhone when we need to know where the other is (quicker than texting/waiting on a reply and if the other is driving or working late at no notice then calling is no good either). She had some old iPhones listed on her account and wanted them removed.

I found that this could be done by logging in to iCloud on a PC and removing them that way so went to log on. As the correct details were entered it said a code had been sent to an iDevice and this 2 step verification code needed to be entered.

However what if you lose your phone for example and you want to erase it via iCloud at a PC? You'll get this enter a code message which you obviously wont be able to do - as you'll have lost the phone.

first point,how often do you need to know the exact position of your partner? Weird
    second point, does it come via the phone number or handset?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Read this

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204915
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    first point,how often do you need to know the exact position of your partner? Weird
    second point, does it come via the phone number or handset?
    First point - how is that in any way at all helpful to me & the question i asked?

Second point - i assume by 'it' you mean what gets tracked & in this case it would be the handset.

Thanks for answering my question though.

Oh hang on...

john22 wrote: »
    Thanks for the link.
  • custardy
    Options
    First point - how is that in any way at all helpful to me & the question i asked?

Second point - i assume by 'it' you mean what gets tracked & in this case it would be the handset.

Thanks for answering my question though.

You posted the superfluous information. Post on a forum its relative to the reply.
    Still weird though.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    I posted because everyone here always want more information and to know the why's and why nots as shown in your case.

Thanks for finally answering the question though.

Hmm....

Are you related to the member Mercdriver by any chance??!
  • Roland_Sausage
    Options
    You do realise that rather than having to use the "find my iPhone" thing, Apple have an app called Find Friends that does exactly what you are looking to do?
  • custardy
    Options
    I posted because everyone here always want more information and to know the why's and why nots as shown in your case.

Thanks for finally answering the question though.

Hmm....

Are you related to the member Mercdriver by any chance??!

Do they think you are weird too?
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Do they think you are weird too?
    Yet the pair of you follow me around & can't resist replying but not actually answering anything.

And i'm the one that's weird?! :rotfl::rotfl:
  • custardy
    Options
    Yet the pair of you follow me around & can't resist replying but not actually answering anything.

And i'm the one that's weird?! :rotfl::rotfl:

Well you certainly have a high opinion of yourself.
  • JustAnotherSaver
    Options
    Well you certainly have a high opinion of yourself.
    I can only deal with the facts, nothing else. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport