Tesco value range rebranding = worse products

Options

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Tesco have reduced Low Fat Yogurt, now 45p. was 60p. Renamed Creamfields.
    Value cornflakes, still stocked at my local though price seems to increase all the time now 45p per 750g. Also my favourite.
  • judexx
    judexx Posts: 495 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pws52 wrote: »
    I totally agree about the oats.
    I bought two bags earlier in the week.
    I have opened one bag and made porridge three times and not at all happy.
    The texture is horrible.

Thanks for your reply - so not just me then, will give Morrisons value ones a try instead.

And the labelling on the bag of Tesco oats made me laugh....apparently the new product is from a farm!!

Now there was me thinking that they'd been created in a lab ;)
  • pakokelso93
    pakokelso93 Posts: 255 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I totally agree about the oats.
    I bought two bags earlier in the week.
    I have opened one bag and made porridge three times and not at all happy.
    The texture is horrible.

I will be returning the second bag and buying oats from Lidl which was my second choice and has now been promoted!

And the labelling on the bag of Tesco oats made me laugh....apparently the new product is from a farm!!

Mornflake oats out of home bargains is superb. £1 for 1kg.
    PK! :money:
  • PLRFD
    PLRFD Posts: 1,125 Forumite
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Tesco have reduced Low Fat Yogurt, now 45p. was 60p. Renamed Creamfields.
    Value cornflakes, still stocked at my local though price seems to increase all the time now 45p per 750g. Also my favourite.

I don't know about Tesco but Asda have stopped putting the plastic lid on the cheap yoghurt it's well annoying,I must admit I pick one off of another tub and put it on mine.
  • dontone
    dontone Posts: 4,871 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I had a whinge to Tesco on Twitter about their Quiche Lorriane.
    It used to be lovely, full of ham & cheese, etc. And had a nice texture and cooked lovely.
    We had one after the rebranding, and it was like eating a bag of onions, and hardly and meat in it.
    After I asked if they had changed the recipe, it took them a week to answer, and the response was 'yes, we have added onions, changed the cheese and added more ham'
    I replied, 'If I wanted a quiche with a lot of onions, I would have bought a cheese & onion one' . The didn't reply to that one.
    It looks like they might be discontinuing their Prawn Crackers too (red bag for a quid). They had a ton of new brand looking 50p ones in the clear bags on the shelf this morning.
    What is happening to the place? It hasn't half gone downhill.......
    BEST EVER WINS WON IN ORDER (so far) = Sony Camcorder, 32" lcd telly, micro ipod hifi, Ipod Nano, Playstation 3, Andrex Jackpup, Holiday to USA, nintendo wii, Liverpool vs Everton tickets, £250 Reward Your thirst, £500 Pepsi, p&o rotterdam trip, perfume hamper, Dr Who stamp set, steam cleaner.

comping = nowt more thrillin' than winnin':T :j
  • welshbookworm
    welshbookworm Posts: 2,905 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Add the sliced ham to the list of things to avoid! The everyday value one was HAM, where as the rebranded one is a chopped ham and pork roll thingy.
    Not as nice in my opinion.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
  • silverwhistle
    silverwhistle Posts: 3,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mornflake oats out of home bargains is superb. £1 for 1kg.

I tend to get Waitrose oats, which are more expensive as you might expect, but good quality. When I'm feeling flush they also sell Flahavans jumbo organic oats, and a kilo bag lasts me some time and the quality and size really makes a difference for some recipes.
  • mikep22
    mikep22 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I thought everyone knew these companies on the ex-value range are all completely fictitious....it is a little misleading but really I am sure we have bigger things to worry about...

I also think you sometimes have to bear in mind as living costs are generally more expensive as a rule, sometimes keeping the cost the same is as good as a reduction and its reflected with the quality of food within the products.

That some people on here are looking at tesco value products and complain the company care about price and not quality is hilarious mind. A) as a supermarket they are there to make money and b) its the value range.....if you are buying finest and its a load of rubbish, then complaining about the quality is fair cop. My outlook with the value stuff is to try it, if its rubbish then I try the next one up....most of it is fine for the money you pay.
    Debt: May 15: £17335 Jul 16: £13874 Jan 17: £11,606 Dec 18: £8,308 Sept 19: £4,969 Jul 21: £890
    :beer:
  • badmemory
    badmemory Posts: 7,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 30 July 2018 at 2:32AM
    Options
    I think what people are complaining about is that they have replaced value products with their "new range" which is more expensive and worse quality.

Personally I never found it even remotely embarrassing walking out with value products in my trolley. What I would have found embarrassing was walking out with exactly the same product at more than 4 times the price.

Between this and their removal of best before dates they are not doing themselves any favours. This actually amused me because when Aldis opened up near here a couple of years ago one of the reasons I was reluctant to buy their fruit & veg was that I was unsure of their stock rotation capabilities because they didn't have dates on their products. They do now.

I know that my local Tescos stock rotation "is less than optimal" (carp in other words) & now they have removed the best before dates. I assume the number on the packaging is a packing date which someone knows the meaning of. So when a bin has 4 of those numbers in which product do you pick? Yes the one from Aldi.
  • judexx
    judexx Posts: 495 Forumite
    edited 30 July 2018 at 1:20PM
    Options
    badmemory wrote: »

I know that my local Tescos stock rotation "is less than optimal" (carp in other words) & now they have removed the best before dates..

Definitely something fishy going on there ! :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Seriously though - Tesco must be laughing all the way to the bank, they can get rid of stuff near its best before date without having to reduce it, and claim that they're acting 'responsibly' by stopping consumers from throwing out fruit and veg just because of the date :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure