PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Comments

• OUT - chicken and cheese pasta sauce, makes marginally more room :P

Ended up having an Indian takeaway for tea :( so pasta sauce will have to wait to be used tomorrow
    House purchased November 2013
    Original MF Date: January 2045 - £104,400
    Current MF Date: April 2030- £48,719. 75
  • Edwardia
    Edwardia Posts: 9,170 Forumite
    Hello everyone hope you're all well :)

Gave OH stern lecture tonight about continual removal of meat from freezer. Told him he doesn't need to eat meat every night and both lunch and dinner at weekends and that he certainly doesn't need to be providing more than one meat option per meal.

Also got told he's too fussy and that most people DO shop with a menu in mind and that his I don't want to know on Monday what I'm eating on Friday is a PITA to shop for. I have a dish in mind, he uses the vital ingredient in something else and then I have to go buy more/alternatives to make remaining ingredients work. :mad:

Freezer Movements

IN
    Morrisons organic free range whole chicken
    President unsalted Normandy butter x6 (on offer Morrisons 1.25)
    Riverford organic vegetable pasty

OUT
    Nothing - having veggie weekend :D
  • Ms_Topaz
    Ms_Topaz Posts: 16 Forumite
    In the past 2 days

Out beef burgers & turkey burgers, plus buns so thats made a nice gap

Shopping delivery coming later though so it will soon be filled.

Edwardia, how are you doing with diabetes now as while reading through the thread you were managing via diet to combat it. Do you think buying organic helps with that or is that general diet all round?
  • Edwardia
    edited 26 October 2013 at 3:00PM
    Hi Ms Topaz.. good question and thanks for visiting the thread.. after being diagnosed with diabetes I tried a low GI (glycemic index) diet eating slow release carbs like lentils, porridge etc and that didn't work for me at all. My blood glucose was still 13% above normal.

I decided to try low carb in 2010 and that has really worked for me. I went organic as much as poss (more than 90%) in March 2012 and that has made a big difference too. So I'd say both really.

However I think personally that just avoiding additives could drastically improve anyone's health and my consultant seems to agree with me.

Freezer movements

IN
    Iceland 6 mini beef pasties (no additives) OH likes three with bits of cucumber, cheese and fruit as a change from sandwiches so good for two lunches for £1 and rather moreish.
    Iceland 16 vegetable spring rolls 288g (additive free though they do contain palm oil and soya oil) 4.6g carbs each, made in China and really good especially for £1
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Made a pizza base in the breadmaker yesterday as needed to use the mozzarella. Only added free toppings from the allotment - basil pesto, tomatoes, chilli, courgette, onion, garlic and thyme. Just had the leftovers for lunch today.

Nothing out of freezer.
    Into freezer few more portions of cooked courgette pieces.

Had my 2nd cheapest month of the year - £108.85 so far though should have been cheaper really but I got a few extras to make things easy while I'm stuck doing DIY - no shopping in shops, have had 2 Ocado deliveries and 2 Farmaround deliveries. Still picked a LOT of veg from the allotment this week, sweetcorn, mange tout, carrots, spinach, lettuce, spicy salad leaves, fennel, courgettes, pak choi, radish. Beans/cucumbers have now finished. Last of the chillis and tomatoes from the greenhouse. Plenty of beetroot and potatoes (and loads more carrots) need to be dug up still. Lots of onions and garlic in store.

Edwardia - I'd lose my patience if I was the one having to organise the shopping, cooking and meal plans!!
    What low carb veggie meals are you doing this weekend?
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Kirri:- I'm really impressed with your allotment growing. My DH made me 12 really good raised beds about 6 years ago and a very big wooden fruit cage but 2 bad hips prevented me from doing justice to them. Now I'm back to normal (last op 10 weeks ago) so really looking forward to next year. I used to be mainly self suficient in both veg, fruit and to some extent in meat. I just so want to get back to that way of life.

Freezer movements over the last few days
    Out:- last of the 2012 turkeys, cooked, 2 meals eaten, the rest portioned and refrozen, stock being made, will freeze some and the rest use in soup together with all the turkey bits.
    8 x quail cooked in a mushroom sauce, 2 have been eaten and the rest refrozen.
    HM apple and blackberry in filo pastry, marmalade sponge, some brownies and the remainder of a tea loaf.
    In: just the cooked turkey in its various forms plus the quail
  • Edwardia
    Kirri, impressed with your allotment growing too and the pizza sounds fantastic (though off menu for me personally, not had since 2007).

Tonight we're having Pot au Feu which is basically cauliflower, cabbage, onions/shallots carrots, leeks, swede/turnip, tomatoes, celery, veg stock (you can sub veg but no spuds - too starchy and alters flavour) simmered for an hour until really soft and then served very hot with loads of grated cheese and finely chopped parsley. The cheese melts over the veg and it's wonderful. Our version is based on Sonia Allison's The Dairy Book of Home Cookery recipe. Both our mothers swear by that book.

Tomorrow I'm planning a Mozzarella and radicchio bake using the recipe which came from Riverford, but without the pasta.

zafiro1984 mm quail.. haven't had that in ages. Pleased to hear you're back to normal.
  • Kirri
    Kirri Posts: 6,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Zafiro, yes, I've had a good end to the growing year although lots of things were late due to the cold spring and I've only just about got my sweetcorn and borlotti crop ready after the weather turned. It's a very satisfying way of life, not to mention the money I save, I wish I could do more!! Knowing how my relatively minor op set me back last year I'm not surprised you've not been able to make use of yours! Will be nice to get back to it.

Dinner tonight was allotment corn on the cob, sliced golden beetroot slices roasted in the oven and a cheat addition of a Hiddigy tart (been painting this afternoon hence easy ish meal)..

Edwardia, pot au feu sounds nice! Is that the 70's book? If so I asked my mum but she threw it out :(
  • Edwardia
    Yep the 1970s edition. I was given one by my MIL and found one in a charity shop because MIL's so tatty. They don't seem to get thrown out much so difficult to find.

Planning menus is easy for me as ex chef and shopping mostly online so the only PITA is the husband ;)
  • Florenceem
    Florenceem Posts: 7,925 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Out of freezer - 3 Muffins + BPITH + Smoked Salmon Quiche.
    In - nothing.
    We had HM BPITH + roast potatoes + carrots, leek, swede, garlic + gravy for dinner. Lovely to have some HM food in the freezer to use while I catch up with washing, ironing and housework after being away for a week.

[IMG][/img]Saturdaysdinner_zpscb801f8d.jpg
    Decluttering Achieved - 2023 - 10,364 Decluttering Target - 2024 - 2,874 April - 252/300
    GC NSD 2023 - 242/365
    2023 Craft Makes - 245 Craft Spends 2023 - £676.03/£400
    Books read - 2023 - 37
    GC - 2024 4 Week Period £51.35/£100 NSD - 75
    2024 Craft Makes - 204 Craft Spends 2024 £295.23/£500
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business