PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

After Greggs’ vegan sausage roll, what else would you veganise?

Options

Comments

• MandM90
    MandM90 Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you Rhiannon, I've taken a picture of your post and am going to hunt down the cheese and experiment a bit with the milks.

I've found a fantastic fresh baked vegan bread in a health food store in Brighton. It was a little pricey though, and white bread when I normally eat very densely seedy bread. I bought some seedy oatcakes and some rye linseed bread, both high in Omega and things I've eaten a lot of previously, so it shouldn't be hard to cut out toast and load them up with yummy things.

The above wasn't very MSE, but I guess once I've found food I like I can hunt for cheaper.

On the MSE front I bought some vegan soups in tins. I have been eating paninis at work when I forget my lunch, so although the soups were pricey they work out about £3 cheaper a meal! and miles healthier.

I bought some sunflower 'mince' which I am going to try tonight.

I find most supermarket bread to be vegan anyway!

Sunflower mince sounds intriguing, never heard of it :)
  • adamandtania
    Options
    I used to love peanut butter and coleslaw sandwiches. Don't laugh, despite sounding weird they really work as the peanut butter is dry and balances the wet coleslaw. The only problem is finding vegan coleslaw which is not sold by any of the supermarkets. Most recipes online call for vegan mayonnaise which is really not the same as the stuff that is used to make the kind of coleslaw sold in Tesco, Waitrose etc. If anyone can let me know where to buy this I would be eternally grateful, and if Tesco are listening I would buy it every week!
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    I used to love peanut butter and coleslaw sandwiches. Don't laugh, despite sounding weird they really work as the peanut butter is dry and balances the wet coleslaw. The only problem is finding vegan coleslaw which is not sold by any of the supermarkets. Most recipes online call for vegan mayonnaise which is really not the same as the stuff that is used to make the kind of coleslaw sold in Tesco, Waitrose etc. If anyone can let me know where to buy this I would be eternally grateful, and if Tesco are listening I would buy it every week!

M&S have just launchged a vegan coleslaw as part of their Plant Kitchen range. Very nice it is too!

Aldi is currently selling vegan Hellmann's mayo.

Follow Your Heart vegenaise (my favourite) is available from some Sainsburys and online from The Vegan Kind :)
  • Maat
    Maat Posts: 478 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had cow milk butter this morning as I haven't yet bought new butter in

Darn, the one dairy item I forgot to mention. The whole Pure margarine range is vegan, as is Vitalite. Both can be bought at any supermarket.

I'm glad the previous information was useful and the best of luck with your journey. :)
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I found a recipe for Vegan Cornish pasty today which mentioned both Vegan margarine and Vegan butter. I have never heard of the latter, could someone enlighten me please?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Captain_Bluebear
    Options
    I happened to pop into a different branch of Aldi from my normal one today and found they are selling tins of Jackfruit in water for £1.09.(I literally gasped when I saw it!) A massive saving compared to nearly £3.00 locally. The lady on the till said she'd not seen it before so I'm hoping it's a new product nationally.

I have read and totally understand several of your views on 'substitute' meat. At the moment, I am still 'dabbling' with the idea of going vegetarian/vegan and am grateful for the feeling that I've opened up a whole new avenue of exciting recipes rather than missing out.

Excellent thread OP!
    Thank you!

Blue
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    Options
    [QUOTE=Captain Bluebear;75302586) A massive saving compared to nearly £3.00 locally. The lady on the till said she'd not seen it before so I'm hoping it's a new product nationally.
    Blue[/QUOTE]

If you have a Sainsbury or Morrisons close by they also sell at £1.20 per tin, just in case Aldi runs out.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Captain_Bluebear
    Options
    If you have a Sainsbury or Morrisons close by they also sell at £1.20 per tin, just in case Aldi runs out.

Living Proof! Thank you! I had no idea, I'll check them out too.

Blue
  • Grouchy
    Grouchy Posts: 439 Forumite
    Options
    Excellent thread and lots of useful info. I'm vegetarian but always on the lookout for other sound tasty recipies and to eat even less animal products.

One thing I haven't tried yet is Jackfruit. Lots of info (sometimes contradictory!) on the internet - for instance, recipies with, drain pat dry and add to sauce kind of use, to other more complicated options. Does anyone have a tried and tested easy first recipe for say something mexican, enchilladas or burritos? Also, any tips on cooking with jackfruit for a beginner, e.g. the basics of preparation?

Sorry to go back to basics especially when so many here have the Tshirt long ago on this thread ;)

Any help appreciated.
  • happyinflorida
    Options
    Completely agree..... was subjected to a hater when standing in line at my local McDonalds waiting to order my Vegan meal. Anyone would have thought I was supporting a mega corporation that slaughtered millions of animals a year when in fact I was just buying a heathy, cruelty free, good for the environment Vegan meal.

What do you think?

Wish I'd been there - he'd have got it with both barrels from me and I'm not a vegan!! lol

Every vegan I've ever known has always been a wonderfully, kind, caring and animal loving person - so I'd really go out of my way to help and stand up for anyone who was vegan who was being bad mouthed by some ignorant, selfish POS. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure