Barclays blue rewards

Comments

• So literally is money for nothing and not taxable because it's cashback and goes into separate "rewards" account??
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,695
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    So literally is money for nothing and not taxable because it's cashback and goes into separate "rewards" account??
    That's correct.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ricky_v wrote: »
    However if you switch another current account to blue rewards the rewards double for a year so you'll get £11/month.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/banking/compare-best-bank-accounts/#barclays

Just spoken to Barclays and it turns out if you already have an account with blue rewards and switch a non Barclays account you only get the double reward for 1 month

Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• litepay
    litepay Posts: 45 Forumite
    derrick wrote: »
    Just spoken to Barclays and it turns out if you already have an account with blue rewards and switch a non Barclays account you only get the double reward for 1 month

Oh wow that sucks. Earlier this year they had another promotion for existing customers where they were offering double rewards for one year, I'm on that actually.
  • derrick wrote: »

The advice given to you by Barclays is contrary to the Terms & Conditions of their offer:

Receive Double Rewards for 12 months if you switch your bank/building society current account using the Current Account Switch Service (CASS), between 1 October 2018 and 14 November 2018 (the “Offer Period”) and sign-up to, or already hold Barclays Blue Rewards:
    If you don’t already have Barclays Blue Rewards you must request a full switch into an eligible Barclays current account and sign up to Barclays Blue Rewards using that current account;
    or
    If you already have Barclays Blue Rewards you must request a full switch into the current account which has been nominated for Barclays Blue Rewards. This is the account the Barclays Blue Rewards fee of £3 is debited from each month.

I was given similarly bad advice by my local Barclays branch when I did a switch into my pre-existing Blue Rewards current account for the earlier offer. Luckily I was pig-headed enough to ignore them and carry on with the switch and am now earning double rewards.

The one month thing is a separate offer for turning on Blue Rewards on a pre-existing account, no switching involved.

This later clause in the T&Cs caught my eye:

This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotional rewards or cashback offer, including any other Double Rewards offer, except where expressly permitted by us. This Offer supersedes/replaces any previous Double Blue Rewards Offer that you may be participating in.

This suggests that if you partook in the earlier offer you could do another switch before Nov 14 and the 2nd Double Rewards would kick in for 12 months from November/December's payment for 12 months replacing the 1st Double Rewards which by this time would have paid out 5/6 times.

So a 2nd switch is worth 5/6 extra months of Double Rewards????

• This later clause in the T&Cs caught my eye:

This offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other promotional rewards or cashback offer, including any other Double Rewards offer, except where expressly permitted by us. This Offer supersedes/replaces any previous Double Blue Rewards Offer that you may be participating in.

This suggests that if you partook in the earlier offer you could do another switch before Nov 14 and the 2nd Double Rewards would kick in for 12 months from November/December's payment for 12 months replacing the 1st Double Rewards which by this time would have paid out 5/6 times.

So a 2nd switch is worth 5/6 extra months of Double Rewards????

I'm going to give this a go. I opened a Barclays current account in May and switched a redundant Nat West account into it and have been receiving double rewards (current tally of rewards is £56). I will now switch Halifax Reward account (not worth keeping for £2 monthly reward) into the Barclays account and see what happens.
  • litepay
    litepay Posts: 45 Forumite
    I'm going to give this a go. I opened a Barclays current account in May and switched a redundant Nat West account into it and have been receiving double rewards (current tally of rewards is £56). I will now switch Halifax Reward account (not worth keeping for £2 monthly reward) into the Barclays account and see what happens.

Are you able to do that online or you need to go into a branch? I have an old Santander account I could switch as well...
  • litepay wrote: »
    Are you able to do that online or you need to go into a branch? I have an old Santander account I could switch as well...

Unfortunately you need to go to a branch to arrange switch into existing account.
  • aj23_2
    aj23_2 Posts: 1,155
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    If you already have a current account with Barclays, have 2+ direct debits and paying in £800 a month, then yeah you would be better off. It's not much, but the banks make enough as it is so why not get something back off them?
  • datz
    datz Posts: 159
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 12 October 2018 at 7:06PM
    If you already have Barclays Blue Rewards you must request a full switch into the current account which has been nominated for Barclays Blue Rewards. This is the account the Barclays Blue Rewards fee of £3 is debited from each month.

The above (by changearound) appears to be the case, and I had also noticed those clauses from the promotion T&Cs when they launched the latest double blue rewards 12-month promotion at the start of this month.

I already have the previous (12-month) double blue rewards promotion active on my account (from late spring/early summer), but since I always keep a couple of extra disposable/unused current accounts lying around (created solely for taking advantage of any switch promotions that may come up), I decided to "refresh" the timer on this one.

I chanced a drop-in at my local branch on the day this latest promotion launched since I was already going to be in town anyway (they were otherwise fully booked for over a week). As an existing customer, a branch visit was required. Turned out I was able to be seen immediately due to a no-show.

Anyway, she confirmed the above T&C clauses with me and processed the switch request without any issues.

Switch process is already under way, and received a text message a couple of days ago stating the following:
    Thank you for Switching to us and turning on Blue Rewards! Great news, because you have Blue Rewards, you'll receive double cash rewards over the next 12 months. Rewards are paid into the Wallet on the 2nd working day of the month. Double rewards are paid later in the month. Your Barclays Team

So far it seems to all be going as expected, but I suppose I won't find out if there are any problems until early summer next year (after the first 12-month promotion has ended for me).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure