PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 March 2018 at 8:31AM
    wort wrote: »
    I'm glad I don't have right of way paths etc. I certainly would be to worried to go out and tel people they can't walk there, big softy I am .I hate confrontation.
    It was a tad tricky but I do find that as one gets older, it becomes easier to 'speak one's mind' :D
    No lasting damage hopefully.
    Bank Holiday Weekend - I always hated them even when I was working. For the last few years I've lived in tourist areas. The roads and car parks get clogged and it just becomes more difficult to go about your business. This weekend we have the annual Easter vintage steam rally in the local town so the roads will be double clogged - as will the pavements with stalls selling tourist tat. I live here and I would just like to be able to buy a pair of undies thank you very much. A cheap heavy mug with a border collie's head printed on it is of no use to me :mad: Plus I know where those 'farmhouse' cakes and biscuits come from.... ;)
    So off out in a mo to get a few things to see me through the weekend before the mayhem starts. If it hasn't already.....
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 March 2018 at 8:33AM
    I did it. Plan was: Get there, get something, get out.

I grabbed the 19p carrots, pack of bread rolls, frozen burgers, frozen peas, cherry tomatoes, bubble bath and a pack of powders for colds etc.

I forgot chocolate as I was just working on "get something and get out" ....

If nothing else those four bread rolls and four frozen burgers are a fast meal 4x :)

I could see L1dl ... and thought about sausage rolls and another bag of chips, but I really CBA at that stage and thought "you've got something/enough, just go home".
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'm not well. I'm never ill, so this sucks.

It's "just a cold" but not nice. I felt something coming up on Tuesday when my throat felt a little enlarged.... and by last night I was sneezing.

This morning I have the tight/enlarged throat, runny eye, snotty nose.
    Hot water, lemon, honey, Beechams - and whisky ;)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning everyone,
    Hope you feel better soon PN, at least you managed to get out for supplies.
    Both sets of offspring arrived safely and fish suppers were consumed. I really enjoyed it but couldn't manage any chips as the fish portion was massive!
    Another sunny and cold day here, I'm not sure what the kids' plans are yet and I'll just go with the flow. I've a huge Tesco order to deal with this morning and later on I'm making gravlax. Apart from that there is not much I can do in prep for Sunday until tomorrow so I'm looking forward to a relaxing day:)
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,194 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Porridge, HM yoghurt & FMS for breakfast. Kittie I used to have jumbo oats but found them a bit take it leave it, went back to Smartprice bog standard, nice to hear of your ones, I'll look into that

PN, hope you improve, at least you are stocked up

What a lot of bother there is over pathways & bins. I think my self lucky, similar to Caron, there is a right of way at the rear, but it is a dead end so no passing walkers. Sometimes was a hide & seek venue but those kids have now grown up, however a quick OI sorted that

Our bins, i'm terraced, but the front path is another dead end and behind a wall and shrubs, so not accessible from the kerbside. We leave our bins on the path although we aren't supposed to but it is live & let live and in everyone's interest to just live with it, ro drag the bin around from the back garden via the alley
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 30 March 2018 at 10:54AM
    pineapple wrote: »
    It was a tad tricky but I do find that as one gets older, it becomes easier to 'speak one's mind' :D
    No lasting damage hopefully.

I agree with that re it getting easier - though I still wish I never got in the position of having to do so and would much prefer "stuff that shouldnt be" to not happen in the first place.

I guess it depends on what the incentive is to do so - I know in my case it didn't take much figuring out to realise that, if neighbours established any "rights" over my garden then it would lose value from my house (which I don't want to happen - particularly as houses back in my home city cost so much more than this one anyway - and who knows....?). I realised also that there was a pretty good chance they actually knew that they would be taking away some of my house "value" and adding it onto their house "value" instead. That's why solicitors don't like things like this - as they are aware of that.

I've always known it as very much "the norm" for gardens to be private (albeit often overlooked) and had never even heard of people going into or across other peoples gardens until I moved basically. So it was very upsetting to have people "crashing straight through My Norms - in my own home - where things are obviously 'exactly as I'm used to them being' basically". At the time I bought this house I had already figured out pretty much how I would have my garden and 'other people in it' would prove disruptive to that and I'd be altering my plans right, left and centre to accommodate them in my own home.:eek:

Better to have a short period of "major disruption" putting things right and then they can be "normal" from there on in - than years of a permanent niggle and disruption imo. Things like that do "eat away at you" if left unsolved imo. Also the neighbours had caused a couple of bits of damage already....

I can understand people not wanting to deal with intruders - as I would certainly have much preferred not to have been put in that position in the first place.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,672 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Good morning all, feeling a tad delicate, after our girlie night, really enjoyed it though, it's great to chat and laugh, and even a bit of crying was done, but shows how close and comfortable we all are with each other.
    Toast eaten , gfree crispy roll made up with ham and salad with yogurt for lunch. As I'm in work.
    Just run round with the hoover to clear the crisp crumbs up, from last night, washing up is done so I'm straight again.
    It's rain here, though the sun keeps poking through. Not seen the forcast but hoping it improves!
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • PasturesNew
    I've nothing sweet in the house .... should've bought a trifle.

I could make a trifle, but the best one would include cakey bits ... and I could make cakey bits, except the minimum cakey bits you can make are larger than needed for a trifle.... and I don't fancy eating cake, just to use some small cakey bits, in a trifle .... and have to wait about 3 hours before the jelly's set.

I think "lack of sweeties" will be my downfall today ... and it'll niggle me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ohhh dear me, I know that mouth feeling, for something sweet. I had to avoid a very strong temptation the other day, to make scottish tablet. Don`t know how I got through, maybe went to the allotment

That was the wrong oats, these are the big lovely jumbo oats
    https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/organic-jumbo-porridge-oats-1-25kg.html

Still in my nightwear but am not expecting visitors so no rush to change. Had my second breakfast of thin crunchy buttered toast with spooned cottage cheese and tomato in a small bowl. Leek and potato soup is cooking and smells good, lunch is prepared and so are the other bits. After lunch I will have eaten 6 today, will be having raspberries and hm yogurt. I need to make more yogurt and will be using non-homogenised FC milk, only heating up to 45, not the high heat then cooling. Will also be whisking in a tbs of organic powdered milk, to make it thicker

I will have to get warmly dressed, it will be pelting rain soon, until bedtime and rain out feels cold inside. Looks like a reading/spinning/film day today. Oh yes, I watched lion on prime the other day, such a very good film, one of the best ever. About a small boy from India, who gets lost, it is a true story. I watched it twice, second time with 8 and 10 year olds, they were silent the whole time and I think were left with a sense of being grateful for so much
  • PasturesNew
    I made a cake :)
    A chocolate cake.
    It's cooked, so just at the "cooling" stage.
    It's a flat cake, I guess these days people'd call it brownies.
    I'll cut it into cubes/slabs later :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure