PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Comments

• kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Forumite
    Definite marmite house then :D

Looks handy for the pub (pic 11) if one should wish to stop by for a tankard of ye olde mead :D
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,543
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    RedFraggle wrote: »

Would have to paint all that wood in a nice white shade to match the existing exterior and interior, panel in and paint the staircase in a nice white, replace the door and windows with UPVC ones, partition off the sleeping area and put in a false ceiling upstairs and in the kitchen.

(Runs for cover to avoid wrath and missiles of "Ye Olde Worlde" lovers!)
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    I like it - but don't think I'd want to live in it.
  • ukmaggie45
    ukmaggie45 Posts: 2,968
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I like it - but don't think I'd want to live in it.

Bedroom and living room upstairs, loo downstairs. That'd be an accident waiting to happen for me! Though suppose could keep a camping toilet in the bedroom. ;) :eek:
  • TamsinC
    TamsinC Posts: 625 Forumite
    Would have to paint all that wood in a nice white shade to match the existing exterior and interior, panel in and paint the staircase in a nice white, replace the door and windows with UPVC ones, partition off the sleeping area and put in a false ceiling upstairs and in the kitchen.

grade 2 listed - you would never get permission (thank goodness, I say as an 'ye olde world' lover ;) )
    “Isn't this enough? Just this world? Just this beautiful, complex
    Wonderfully unfathomable, natural world” Tim Minchin
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    This is why it's cheap

Agent!!!8217;s notes
    !!!8226; The Old Gatehouse currently has planning as a holiday let; changing its status to full residential should be a fairly straightforward planning procedure, subject to planning.
    !!!8226; There is an agreement between the previous owners (The Vivat Trust) and Historic England that has approximately two years to run. It precludes any lending on the building and the owner!!!8217;s need to open the house to the public (to be agreed with HE). This, however, shouldn't hinder or impinge on the use of the building.
    !!!8226; An ongoing maintenance schedule is provided for the next two years.
    !!!8226; A recent onsite meeting with Historic England raised the possibility of re-instating the lost wing to the south east of the building. The consensus was that an oak-framed modern extension would be respectful to the original frame. This could add another reception room and a further bedroom/bathroom, subject to planning.
    !!!8226; The garden/land to the rear is on a 46 year lease from the owner of The Old Rectory next door (currently under The Vivat trust name).
    !!!8226; The access and land to the front is classed as !!!8216;no man!!!8217;s land!!!8217;; unencumbered access has been given for the past 550 years and so the current owners have an insurance policy to protect this access.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • RedFraggle
    RedFraggle Posts: 1,309
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Oh no, I thought that numbers glitch was an I phone thing but I'm android!
    Officially in a clique of idiots
  • Anyone remember sponging? Where you applied 3 or 4 adjacent shades of pastel to the wall using a sponge?

You ended up with an effect a bit like this
    https://www.picclickimg.com/00/s/MTE2OVgxMTY1/z/Z70AAOSwdu9arnob/$/Robert-Heindel-Passion-of-Land-Limited-Edition-_57.jpg
    unless of course you coc ked it up. I have to say I still like it....
  • Would have to paint all that wood in a nice white shade to match the existing exterior and interior, panel in and paint the staircase in a nice white, replace the door and windows with UPVC ones, partition off the sleeping area and put in a false ceiling upstairs and in the kitchen.

Very unambitious. I would be looking to knock everywhere through into everywhere else.
  • phoebe1989seb
    phoebe1989seb Posts: 4,452
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Just need to delete the last 3 characters of the URL: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-55986546.html

Love it :D
    Mortgage-free for fourteen years!

Over £40,000 mis-sold PPI reclaimed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills