Raf Pension sharing order valid if I remarry ?

Hello all,

If there's anyone out there that knows the answer to my question , I'd be grateful.
My first husband and I divorced in 2002 . He was in the RAF ,we parted on good terms & as part of the financial settlement we agreed that his pension would be subject to a pension sharing order as I had care of the children .I was allocated a 20% share.
( I did ( unfortunately !) remarry but that did not work out and i have been trying to find him to divorce him for the last 4 years )
Am I still eligible to claim that pension, or does the fact that I remarried nullify this ?

Comments

• molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 August 2018 at 7:32PM
    A PSO is not affected by future events, it is a normal pension belonging to you.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/armed-forces-pensions-on-divorce-and-dissolution-of-civil-partnerships/guidance-and-information

From the AFPS75 guide
    In legal proceedings begun on or after 1 December 2000, courts have had the additional option of making Pension Sharing Orders on divorce. These provisions also apply to the dissolution of a civil partnership. It allows pension rights to be treated like other assets and part or the whole of their value to be transferred from the member to the former spouse or civil partner. The payment of the pension is direct to the former spouse or civil partner, and is not affected by changes in the circumstances of the member or former spouse or civil partner after the divorce or dissolution. In this way, the two parties are helped to make a financial "clean break".

Under a Pension Sharing Order, a court may order that a percentage of the value of your benefits is transferred permanently to your former spouse or civil partner and they become a pension credit member. These rights are known as pension credit rights and are payable when the former spouse or civil partner reaches the age of 60, if the order was made before 6 April 2006, or 65, if it was made after that date. The pension may be paid earlier at age 55, but at an actuarially reduced rate.
  • rae2820
    rae2820 Posts: 45 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    molerat wrote: »
    A PSO is not affected by future events, it is a normal pension belonging to you.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/armed-forces-pensions-on-divorce-and-dissolution-of-civil-partnerships/guidance-and-information

From the AFPS75 guide
    Thank you so much , that sounds like good news to me ! :j
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    molerat wrote: »

But presumably her second husband could claim half of it in a divorce settlement?
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • rae2820
    sooo...one more question...

If the value of my share was stated at £47176.67 in 2002 with a lump sum of £19,728.23 and an annual sum of £6576.07 is that how much it will be worth when I can claim it or will that change ?
  • rae2820
    kidmugsy wrote: »
    But presumably her second husband could claim half of it in a divorce settlement?
    Gosh ! what a thought ! Good point !
    His pension is worth way more than mine so it would not be in his interests to do so...I hope :(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure