Impact of future move abroad on arrangement of new fixed period remortgage

Options
Hi everyone, my 5 year fixed term deal is coming to an end in a couple of months time. I'm looking to arrange another fixed term arrangement probably with my existing mortgage provider probably for 3 years. Next year, it is likely that myself and my family are going to move to Australia for a couple of years to see if we may want to base ourselves there for the long term (my wife is Australian) and plan to rent our current home out whilst we try it. I mentioned it to my mortgage provider and they said I would have to apply for consent to let at the time but they did not see any particular issue with me being based in Australia for part of my mortgage period.

I just wanted to check that this seemed right, I had read on other forums about some issues relating to UK mortgages for non residents but not sure if that issue was specific to people being abroad and already non resident in UK when they sought to arrange the remortgage of their UK property. Any perspectives from anyone familiar with such a scenario would be appreciated!

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Consent to let is at the discretion of the lender and will be made on a case by case basis. Switching mortgage product with the same lender , is not a remortgage. If you remain in Oz. Then switching lenders may well be problematic. Though so could letting property half way around the world. Not as if you can pop back to resolve issues easily.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure