Ebico / SSE partnership has ended!

Comments

• Anthorn
    Anthorn Posts: 4,362 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I'm not sure that it's Ebico "failing" the people it exists for. I think it's rather SSE not wanting to be in partnership anymore and therefore Ebico having to find a new partner e.g Robin Hood Energy.

On the other hand, why don't Ebico set themselves up as a proper energy company. If councils can do it all on their own then I don't see why not.

Rewind a bit and look at the facts:

Ebico started a new partnership with RHE apparently without any prior notice to customers. Then they inform customers that those receiving WHD should stay with their partnership with SSE while those who are not entitled to WHD would be better off changing to the RHE tariff. The reason for the difference is that while SSE provides WHD RHE does not.

Well, it's not really surprising that SSE should call a halt to that: They would be forking out WHD for Ebico's less fortunate customers most likely in receipt of WHD due to fuel poverty while RHE get the profits from better off customers.

That's why Ebico is failing in its goal of helping those who are in danger of fuel poverty. I think Ebico is blinded by RHE's non-profit status. In effect Ebico is splitting its customers into those who are in fuel poverty and those who are better off.

Personally I could say I'm appalled but "disappointed" is a better descriptive word. When I switched from OVO fixed I had the choice of Ebico Equipower variable or Scottish Power fixed for a fiver a year more. What swung it for Ebico was that I pay by monthly direct debit and the discount earned by that DD goes towards pre-pay customers who get an equal tariff. But I'm not sure how Ebico will do that on the new RHE tariff because everyone will be paying a standing charge. (I'm all electric)

Lastly I think SSE will be creaming off Ebico customers and I'm ready to switch to SSE (fixed) exclusively even though the tariff at current prices costs £15 more per year. I sincerely hope that Ebico will be losing customers en masse and if so it serves them right!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 27 February 2017 at 11:29AM
    I have just given up after trying to contact Ebico by telephone. A number of times this morning, after being put on hold for ten minutes per call, a message has come on with their opening times to call back with no option to continue holding. - This is not good - even for a free phone number - the one given in their email.

In their email they say I pay my bill on receipt when I actually pay by direct debit. I would like to rectify this and ask some other questions. (Anthorn - will the new arrangement definitely result in standing charges as I thought from the email that there would be none? As a low user I chose Ebico because there is no standing charge although I am not eligible for warm home payments.)

This is difficult as they say if you are satisfied you need do nothing. If they cannot answer my telephone call I shall have to contact them - perhaps by email.

Crimson
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I have just given up after trying to contact Ebico by telephone. A number of times this morning, after being put on hold for ten minutes per call, a message has come on with their opening times to call back with no option to continue holding. - This is not good - even for a free phone number - the one given in their email.

In their email they say I pay my bill on receipt when I actually pay by direct debit. I would like to rectify this and ask some other questions. (Anthorn - will the new arrangement definitely result in standing charges? As a low user I chose Ebico because there is no standing charge although I am not eligible for warm home payments.)

This is difficult as they say if you are satisfied you need do nothing. If they cannot answer my telephone call I shall have to quickly find another way of contacting them - perhaps by email if I can locate an Ebico one.

Crimson

We have two seperate properties on Ebico tariffs. We received emails for each with a unique code to register online. If you do it gives you the option of staying or going.

Hope that helps.
  • Thanks very much, uk1.

Crimson
  • Anthorn wrote: »
    Rewind a bit and look at the facts:

Ebico started a new partnership with RHE apparently without any prior notice to customers. Then they inform customers that those receiving WHD should stay with their partnership with SSE while those who are not entitled to WHD would be better off changing to the RHE tariff. The reason for the difference is that while SSE provides WHD RHE does not.

Well, it's not really surprising that SSE should call a halt to that: They would be forking out WHD for Ebico's less fortunate customers most likely in receipt of WHD due to fuel poverty while RHE get the profits from better off customers.

That's why Ebico is failing in its goal of helping those who are in danger of fuel poverty. I think Ebico is blinded by RHE's non-profit status. In effect Ebico is splitting its customers into those who are in fuel poverty and those who are better off.

Personally I could say I'm appalled but "disappointed" is a better descriptive word. When I switched from OVO fixed I had the choice of Ebico Equipower variable or Scottish Power fixed for a fiver a year more. What swung it for Ebico was that I pay by monthly direct debit and the discount earned by that DD goes towards pre-pay customers who get an equal tariff. But I'm not sure how Ebico will do that on the new RHE tariff because everyone will be paying a standing charge. (I'm all electric)

Lastly I think SSE will be creaming off Ebico customers and I'm ready to switch to SSE (fixed) exclusively even though the tariff at current prices costs £15 more per year. I sincerely hope that Ebico will be losing customers en masse and if so it serves them right!

I have no idea what WHD is, I don't get it and probably not entitled to it. People like me who work but are on low income living month to month get sweet nothing from the system.

I first went to Ebico for gas when I first got a gas supply in a few years ago. As I didn't know how much I would be using + in the summer months the bills were great due to there being no standing charge.

After doing a comparison last week it looks like Ebico are no longer cheapest for me and I could save £70 a year if I switch to Robin Hood (outright), who I already have my electricity with.

Anyone who thinks Ebico is set up purely to look after the poverty stricken folk are deluded. They all pay nice high salaries to the top men, it's all about the gravy train.
  • Trying to get in touch with SSE today regarding my account which is £30 in credit, I've been "number 1 in the queue" on the online chat for the past half an hour.
    Have read some customer reviews and the news isn't good.
    Hope I can get my money back from these people, I've also e-mailed them so fingers crossed
  • footyguy
    footyguy Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post

Anyone who thinks Ebico is set up purely to look after the poverty stricken folk are deluded. They all pay nice high salaries to the top men, it's all about the gravy train.

How much do you think Ebico actually pay then, even to the top men?

I think you will be shocked when you discover the actual amount. I certainly wouldn't class it as a "nice high salary" for a Managing Director of a company serving over 60,000 customers.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Anthorn wrote: »
    ... What swung it for Ebico was that I pay by monthly direct debit and the discount earned by that DD goes towards pre-pay customers who get an equal tariff. But I'm not sure how Ebico will do that on the new RHE tariff because everyone will be paying a standing charge. (I'm all electric)

The Ofgem rules now mean that PPM customers will have to pay a standing charge (the Ofgem rules don't specifically state that, but you cannot make a business case that would work without the application of the standing charge)

In view of that, Ebico are now giving a discount (1%) to those that pay by DD, so presumably they have decided not to cross subsidise anymore. I don't think you can blame Ebico for that change.

I, for one (credit meters, not eligible for WHD) will not be remaining with SSE.
    I'm an MSE'er. I opted for Ebico because it was cheaper. Perhaps not the cheapest down to a fraction of a penny, but no standing charge, paper billing, payment on receipt of bill, etc
    (To me 1% of not much in the first place isn't worth considering, especially when it will probably result in overpaying)

Now they have reduced their prices by about 4.5%, at a time when most suppliers are increasing prices, I can't see why I wouldn't remain with Ebico but now supplied by RHE.
    In fact, Im currently deciding if I should switch a gas supply to them for the summer months - that depends primarily on what I decide prices (by others) will do in about 6 months time.
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I have just given up after trying to contact Ebico by telephone. ...

They normally are very quick to answer calls.

However, with only a total of 7 employees including directors, they are probably currently snowed under with enquiries at this time of major change
  • footyguy
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 27 February 2017 at 2:29PM

In their email they say I pay my bill on receipt when I actually pay by direct debit. I would like to rectify this and ask some other questions. (Anthorn - will the new arrangement definitely result in standing charges as I thought from the email that there would be none? As a low user I chose Ebico because there is no standing charge although I am not eligible for warm home payments.)...

Does your email mention a standing charge will be payable? It shouldn't do as a credit meter customer.
    What it should mention is your price reduction (one you are changed over to RHE) and
    Importantly, Robin Hood Energy has also given us an assurance that Ebico's unique zero standing charge approach to home energy billing will remain in place.

Only PPM customers will now have to pay a standing charge as a result of the Ofgem rules affecting PPM customers
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure