Giving way on a hill

124»

Comments

• Car_54
    Car_54 Posts: 8,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Exemplar wrote: »
    I'll back up most on here. People coming up have right of way.

No, they haven't.

First, there is no such thing as right of way.

Second, the Highway Code only says you should give way to them on single-track roads. There is no mention of the situation on normal roads.

However, it does say we should be considerate to other road users at all times, and as others have said this "unofficial rule" is an example of courtesy and consideration.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Car_54 wrote: »
    First, there is no such thing as right of way.

Second, the Highway Code only says you should give way to them on single-track roads. There is no mention of the situation on normal roads.
    I was careful not to use the term in my OP, saying 'give way' instead. I agree; there is no 'right', just learning ways in which being considerate can help everyone to have a better day.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • Richard53
    Richard53 Posts: 3,173 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 October 2016 at 8:33PM
    That was known as the suicide lane.

You don't see many (any?) about these days.
    There are still some about. There's a stretch I use every day between home and work. About a mile long, dead straight, significant gradient, three lanes and a blind summit at the top. It's also the only reliable overtaking opportunity for a couple of miles either way, so the middle lane gets used a lot. It's marked as two lanes up, one lane down, so not strictly a shared lane, but it's often used that way, especially late at night. There was a huge accident near to the top a few years ago, when some Barry Boys were racing up the hill, and one muppet decided to use the single down lane as a lane to overtake people who were already overtaking going uphill. Some other cars came over the brow of the hill going down, and there was carnage. No-one killed, thank goodness, but some serious injuries. Three jailed.

https://goo.gl/maps/mPRQC2787n52

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-30574895

I use the centre lane a lot, but it's always with eyes peeled and a careful right foot.
    If someone is nice to you but rude to the waiter, they are not a nice person.
  • NBLondon
    NBLondon Posts: 5,526 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Car_54 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be surprised if when that rule was first written, the situation of both sides of a "normal" road being jammed with parked cars thus making it effectively a single-track road wasn't as common as it is today.

As I said before - my father taught me the rule of thumb and since he learned to drive in the 1960s on tractors it was probably far more useful then.
    Wash your Knobs and Knockers... Keep the Postie safe!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure