The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,110
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    caronc wrote: »
    I've not won that battle with my Dad either....

I think it is definitely a tad warmer though the wind is baltic. still not much sign of a full thaw though some of the icicles hanging from the shed have gone. My poor wee tete-a-tete daffs which were in full bloom are looking decidedly woebegone:(

I never won it with my mum either, had to be "the electric company" and BT, I think they feel safe & know where they are with those legacy suppliers

Hope your Tete a Tete perk up, mine have now it is raining and normal temeperature

The LO pie, chips and bisto granule gravy was lovely, just the rib sticking stuff for a dull day

I've spent last few hours being extremely wee weed off. My PC had a windoze update, which made it unresponsive. I've had to restore back to end of Feb. If I vanish for a bit you'll know what happened
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,058
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Farway wrote: »
    I never won it with my mum either, had to be "the electric company" and BT, I think they feel safe & know where they are with those legacy suppliers

Hope your Tete a Tete perk up, mine have now it is raining and normal temeperature

The LO pie, chips and bisto granule gravy was lovely, just the rib sticking stuff for a dull day

I've spent last few hours being extremely wee weed off. My PC had a windoze update, which made it unresponsive. I've had to restore back to end of Feb. If I vanish for a bit you'll know what happened
    Hope both your PC and daffs recover with a bit of tlc :)
  • Hollyharvey
    Hollyharvey Posts: 1,939
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Farway wrote: »

I had a Windows update about 3 weeks ago and I kept on hitting the postpone button until one day it just did it. Then the system wouldn't let me back in and it wouldn't allow me to restore to an earlier date either. In the end I had to do a clean install.

It sounds like you have had better luck. I really dread updates though :(.
  • I'm wondering if it's some sort of update in the background that's mucked me up a bit. I've had Pinterest for a while - in order to be able to copy other peoples pins I fancied. Then I realised some days ago that I could add a Pinterest button to my browser banner and copy off what I fancied myself and duly got some saved webpages I wanted directly for myself and did so okay for several days.

Now I can still copy off other peoples pins if I want - but the vast majority of the time I find the Pinterest webpage of my boards just flashes briefly at me and goes away again any time I try to do save new ones of my own now.

My main beef being that several times daily the whole computer sorta freezes and I've found I can get it back together again by switching the whole thing off/promptly switching it back on again - but that's a pain. But I also want to be able to save my own pins again - since that problem started I've been able to save precisely one (the latest post someone had made on their advert-less blog). Hence wondering if my latest security update is refusing to let through any webpage to Pinterest with adverts on the website - even though I want the webpage (if not its blinkin' adverts).

I've found first one and then another "little computer guy" since moving here - but neither of them feel that confident to me. Has suspicion I might have to have in the 2nd computer man for an hour though...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    I'm still on Windows XP, which has given up updating as it's no longer supported. It used to pee me off if I had webpages open and dozed off .... to later wake up to see the login boxes as it had decided (even though I'd turned Auto OFF) that it'd do an update and reboot anyway.

It only happened about 2-3x in 10 years, but that's still annoying.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 4 March 2018 at 7:09AM
    Gateau for breakfast .... obviously :)

With a black coffee.

It's the best slice so far... clearly frozen gateaux need to not be defrosted the 1-2 hours they say on the box, but longer/overnight.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    my last laptop with windows 7 was boogered by an update. Money I would personally do a system restore and then disable any windows updates while you are offline until you get auto updates switched off. I still use that computer but now am permanently offline and only use it for dvds and my m/s money programme. I removed all other non-essential programmes. While at it I also took the laptop apart and cleaned out the inside, especially the cooling fan, with compressed air. It behaved well afterwards. I also got a new power cable, these bend where they curve and the wiring inside gets broken, causing blackouts. I re-inforced my new cable with a lollipop stick and insulation tape. It is a good computer now but I got myself a small laptop with windows 10 and I like that for banking etc and will never put m/s money at risk again
  • As what I know about computers could be written on the back of a postcard - sounds like maybe I'll have to have Mr Computer in for a couple of hours then.

Goes off to ponder whether either my Home City Mr Computer or computer-minded friend from Home City might fancy a holiday in Wales?:rotfl:

My thought for the day yesterday came from reading that people from my home city are described as confident was "Of course we are - and that confidence comes from knowing we can get whatever/whoever/etc we want pretty easily":cool:. Hence the shock when finding there's a lot less of whatever/whoever/etc away from it...:cool::o

At least I'm in good company - I've heard a lot of comments since moving about other incomers "going into shock" at trying to find various facilities as per normal....

Default fallback position = keep some money to one side for long weekends/weeks back there if need be....and at least be grateful that I won't feel the effect here of the Government currently saying "Go on - shove another storey or two on top of buildings to get more homes built". I reckon this town should resolutely stay one-storey or two-storey:)
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 4 March 2018 at 9:18AM
    I'm still on Windows XP, which has given up updating as it's no longer supported.
    Me too! But I always had automatic updates turned off. In fact I do that with all software so it bugs me when you have a programme with a built in scheduler which you can't opt out of.

My cottage backs on to a big Tudor house which was actually a later add on. The party wall is just rough stone. Don't know if it was always like that or if someone took off the plaster. I'm not keen as the room is dark enough as it is plus it's a real dust/spider trap. Also there are bits of pointing missing here and there. I've plugged some obvious gaps with wire wool owing to previous mouse incursions :eek: but there must be more. It's a concern that the people next door commented on how nice my dinner smelled the other day (I was cooking a dahl with lots of spices on the lounge stove.). They are very thick walls but there must be a way through. (they too have their stone revealed on the other side). Plus I do know they sometimes get mice in their larder on the other side and I don't want the little beggars getting through. Maybe I should bite the bullet and get the whole thing plastered. People say it would be a travesty but they don't have to live with it.
    I ought to do something about the characterful but leaky front door too. Having lived in various rural locations, I've noticed that farmers tend to upgrade to a nice new modern property with all mod cons when they can - flogging their cold. draughty, wormy properties to idiots like me. :D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,058
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Good morning everyone,
    My laptop was playing up the other week (Windows 8) but thankfully a system "clean up" seems to have sorted it. I think it was sluggish as the memory was nearly full of random rubbish:)

In my experience mice will always find a way in if they want to. I get field mice every winter apparently they just need a space the width of a pencil as they can collapse their ribcages:eek:.

It's definitely milder this morning though still frosty/icy and it was attempting to snow again when I got up. Most of the snow at the back of the house is away but the front is still pretty covered.

Think I'll have a hot brunch today probably lorne, tomato & tattie scone :)and I've belly pork slices defrosted for tonight which I'll braise and then roast. I cooked extra spuds last night to have tonight and I've spare peppercorn sauce to use up. I've green veg of various types to have with it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback