Site Plan not showing porch

Options
joanneharris
joanneharris Posts: 62 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I am looking at replacing my rear conservatory with a brick extension of the same size and am in the process of getting site plans drawn up for my building notice.

I looked at my current site plan online and can see my existing building outline including my conservatory at the rear but my front porch extension is not shown. 2 other properties down my street have porches and both can be seen on the site plan map so why not mine?

My porch was built 10-15 years ago (before I lived in the property) and I'm worried about this coming up during my new building work. Is it possible that the porch is not needed on a site plan and I am just worrying over nothing?

If it is needed, should I show it on my site plans as the existing layout (which makes me concerned it doesn't match the online map) or do I exclude it from my plans (which matches the online map but makes me worry that when my rear extension is checked, the front porch will be noticed and questioned why not on the plans)?

Comments

• teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    Don't worry about it. The official ordnance survey plans are often out of date, I've had them with entire houses missing.

Sometimes I draw the missing extension etc. on but usually don't bother. They are only used as a guide to location, not an official document testifying to the exact footprint of the building.
  • troffasky
    Options
    OS maps in my street show a free-standing building at the side of my house, which has almost certainly never been there. Streetview coincidentally shows a gazebo/event shelter-type thing in the same location for a couple of years. It also show a neighbour's shed as an "extension" on the back of their house, which is a horrible sheet metal thing from Argos. I get the feeling some of these details are added [guessed...] from aerial imagery rather than actual surveys.
  • freezspirit
    Options
    just out of interest where can I get a site plan for my property?
  • joanneharris
    Options
    teneighty wrote: »
    Sometimes I draw the missing extension etc. on but usually don't bother. They are only used as a guide to location, not an official document testifying to the exact footprint of the building.

I will be submiting a location plan, site plan and floor plan (whether all this is necessary or not I don't know?!) so feel it difficult to leave off the porch on all of them. From what you are saying then, they will just ignore the existing property and any record they may hold for it and just look at the proposed changes?
  • troffasky
    Options
    just out of interest where can I get a site plan for my property?

buyaplan.co.uk - don't have to actually buy it. Just need to feed it an email address to get a demo. I got that tip from someone in here.
  • teneighty
    teneighty Posts: 1,347 Forumite
    Options
    I will be submiting a location plan, site plan and floor plan (whether all this is necessary or not I don't know?!) so feel it difficult to leave off the porch on all of them. From what you are saying then, they will just ignore the existing property and any record they may hold for it and just look at the proposed changes?

For a building notice you only need to submit a block plan, which is usually an OS plan at 1:1250. This is really just used as a location plan, to show boundaries and the position of the building in relation to neighbouring buildings. At that scale and that degree of accuracy it is far too small to show a floor plan.

The proposed changes are not looked at until you start work on site so I am wondering if a building notice is really a good idea for you. Maybe a full plans application would give you more certainty and avoid potential surprises once work progresses on site. Unless your builder is managing the process and they are very confident they know exactly what standard they need to build to to achieve Building Regulations compliance.
  • joanneharris
    Options
    My builder has advised a building notice will be sufficient but did say to submit this with drawings of the extension. I was planning on location plan, site plan and floor plan (and possibly elevation drawings too). I don't want to over do this as it really is a simple knock down of existing conservatory and erection of brick built extension on the same floor plan. Surely a location plan on its own wouldn't suffice?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure