PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Council housing - how long did you wait?

Options

Comments

• Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    I have been fortunate enough to never need a council house, but what is needed is for all lifetime tenancies to be revoked.

This brings to mind a much publicised interview with Bob Crow when he was still around. He was earning £145,000 and was "proud to be living in a council house". I cannot understand why he was not vilified by his own members, he was depriving someone who needed a council house because he wanted to live in one. As for the idea that it would have meant that he would have deserted his working class roots, the moment he started a job with that sort of salary was the moment he did just that.

How many more people are living in council houses when they could well afford at least private rental, if not a mortgage. I always thought they were for people that had no other option.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • bspm1
    bspm1 Posts: 332 Forumite
    Options
    We got married in September 1974, came back off honeymoon and went to the phone box at end of street to call Council re a place to live, (we were living with my parents after we got married) , we were told that we would get a multi story flat if I got pregnant.

Having no plans to start a family so soon, or so young and having come back off our honeymoon with the princely sum of £40 (our only savings) we saved for one year to get a deposit of £1000 and bought our first house for £9000, we haven't looked back since. We are probably still on the list lol.
  • Cheeky_Monkey
    Options
    I have been fortunate enough to never need a council house, but what is needed is for all lifetime tenancies to be revoked.

This brings to mind a much publicised interview with Bob Crow when he was still around. He was earning £145,000 and was "proud to be living in a council house". I cannot understand why he was not vilified by his own members, he was depriving someone who needed a council house because he wanted to live in one. As for the idea that it would have meant that he would have deserted his working class roots, the moment he started a job with that sort of salary was the moment he did just that.

How many more people are living in council houses when they could well afford at least private rental, if not a mortgage. I always thought they were for people that had no other option.

Not to mention Susan Boyle - she was earning millions and still refused to leave her Council house.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not to mention Susan Boyle - she was earning millions and still refused to leave her Council house.

If this is correct then Susan Boyle actually bought her council house. Another reason why there are so few council houses/housing association properties available.

https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/1002429/Susan-Boyle-2018-live-now-audition-Britains-Got-Talent-news
  • sevenhills
    Options
    This brings to mind a much publicised interview with Bob Crow when he was still around. He was earning £145,000 and was "proud to be living in a council house". I cannot understand why he was not vilified by his own members, he was depriving someone who needed a council house because he wanted to live in one.

I would think that the landlords on here would love a tenant like Bob Crow, long term and professional, I am sure they would have made a profit from that house.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I thought that council housing now is offered only to people who are vulnerable in some way.

What annoys me are people who know that council housing is in short supply get a property and then have more children than can fit into the house and then complain that they are overcrowded.
  • sevenhills
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I thought that council housing now is offered only to people who are vulnerable in some way.

If that were the case we would have estates full of vulnerable people, not a good idea.
    In some areas the council let 25% of their house to the people that have been on the waiting list the longest, no special requirements required.
  • Computer_Beginner
    Options

How much do you actually know about the history of council housing?
    You seem to be taking the attitudes of many in the country today as if they are the only option. Not looking back to the intentions of the people when these houses were built.

Maybe you should educate yourself a bit more and not accept the agenda of the mainstream media without question.
    Selling off the UK's gold reserves at USD 276 per ounce was a really good idea, which I will not citicise in any way.
  • Computer_Beginner
    Options
    Cakeguts wrote: »
    I

What annoys me are people who know that council housing is in short supply get a property and then have more children than can fit into the house and then complain that they are overcrowded.

The shortage of council housing is a deliberate decision by the government. It keeps prices high and helps the banks make money through debt. Don't accept everything the mainstream media throws at you.
    Selling off the UK's gold reserves at USD 276 per ounce was a really good idea, which I will not citicise in any way.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    How much do you actually know about the history of council housing?
    You seem to be taking the attitudes of many in the country today as if they are the only option. Not looking back to the intentions of the people when these houses were built.

Maybe you should educate yourself a bit more and not accept the agenda of the mainstream media without question.

How it started is hardly relevant, these days it is intended to give people that can't afford current rents access to accommodation.
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport