Carers uk petition to raise carers allowance. Scotland now gets £8.50 more per wk.

Options
Carersuk's has started a petition which requests that Carer's Allowance is raised. Please sign.
https://www.carersuk.org/news-and-campaigns/campaigns/fairer-for-carers?utm_source=Carers%20UK&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=9854887_Carers%20Rights%20Day%20%26%20AGM%20members%20email&utm_content=Fairer%20for%20Carers%20Campaign&dm_i=74C,5V82V,3VLWWU,MXUXS,1

"Carer’s Allowance is the lowest benefit of its kind at £64.60 per week. It is the main benefit for people caring unpaid for family or friends. We want to see Carer’s Allowance significantly increased for all carers in the UK.

In Scotland, Carer’s Allowance is going up by £8.50 per week, to the same level as Jobseeker’s Allowance. In the short term we want Carer’s Allowance in England, Wales and Northern Ireland to be raised by at least £8.50, to match the changes being made in Scotland.

Carers UK is sending a letter on behalf of the 6.5 million carers in the UK to Secretary of State, Esther McVey, calling for Carer's Allowance to be raised to the level of Jobseeker's Allowance." Carers uk

Comments

• Danday
    Danday Posts: 436 Forumite
    edited 23 September 2018 at 12:19AM
    Options
    6.5 million carers each demanding an extra £8.50 a week will cost the government in excess of £55m a week extra!!

Who do you propose should pay for that?
  • try £55 million a weeks, that said I would rather see CA not taken off income based benefits only to be replaced by a premium worth around half of its value.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Danday wrote: »
    6.5 million carers each demanding an extra £8.50 a week will cost the government in excess of £55m a year extra!!

It would cost the government far more to pay for a professional carer to do 35 hours plus each week.

You do the math.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    6.5 million carers each demanding an extra £8.50 a week will cost the government in excess of £55m a year extra!!

How about how much carers saves the government?

"A new report from Carers UK and the University of Sheffield reveals that the 6.8 million people who provide unpaid care for a disabled, seriously-ill or older loved one in the UK save the state £132 billion a year – close to the cost of a second NHS."

Often carers have no choice but to care for loved one. They frequently care to the point of damage to their own health. I care and live with my elderly mother in her home. I live off £64.60, which is the carers allowance weekly rate. Try living off such a small amount week in week out. The increase in carers allowance from 2017 to 2018 was £1.90 per week.
    Can you actually imagine living off £3359.2 in 2018? A decent increase in carers allowance is long over-due.
  • Danday
    Options
    venison wrote: »
    try £55 million a weeks, that said I would rather see CA not taken off income based benefits only to be replaced by a premium worth around half of its value.
    Sorry my mistake - £55m a WEEK!!
  • Danday
    Options
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    It would cost the government far more to pay for a professional carer to do 35 hours plus each week.

You do the math.
    No need to that would never happen. Besides Careers Allowance is not paid as compensation for caring.
    Next thing you will be suggesting is that carers get the minimum wage x 35 hours a week.
  • Danday
    Options
    pearl123 wrote: »
    I care and live with my elderly mother in her home. I live off £64.60, which is the carers allowance weekly rate. Try living off such a small amount week in week out. .
    Have you not claimed Income Support or if over 65, Pension Credit?
  • Danday
    Options
    pearl123 wrote: »

"A new report from Carers UK and the University of Sheffield reveals that the 6.8 million people who provide unpaid care for a disabled, seriously-ill or older loved one in the UK save the state £132 billion a year – close to the cost of a second NHS.".

You cannot put a value on caring. Most people care because they want to and have a need to. - much the same as people do voluntary work in the community - they don't want or expect to be paid - they do it because they feel a need to.
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 22 September 2018 at 12:18AM
    Options
    Have you not claimed Income Support or if over 65, Pension Credit?

Carers allowance is all that i can get. Take a look at carers uk or Alzheimers org uk forums to see the reality of caring, from the emotional, physical and financial sides.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You cannot put a value on caring. Most people care because they want to and have a need to. - much the same as people do voluntary work in the community - they don't want or expect to be paid - they do it because they feel a need to.

Open your eyes, most people do it because they have no other option as they cannot afford to pay for care for their loved ones.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure