Redundancy next steps

Hello,

I found out earlier this week that my job is at risk as they are closing the office down. I am scheduled for my consultation on Tuesday next week. I believe that there won't be any suitable alternatives in a nearby office and the only offer will be to relocate 400 miles north.
I am also unsure at this moment in time about my final date etc. I am unlikely to receive any pay as I have been with the employer less than 2 years. I am actually still on probation so I believe I only have to be given a week's notice.

I am still feeling numb but I am already worried sick about my finances. Am I able to start looking at claiming JSA? I believe I am entitled to contribution based JSA. Or do I need to wait until the day I am actually out of work?

Thank you in advance during this difficult time.

Comments

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,816
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    You can look for a job asap, your compny should let you have reasonable time off for interviews. You dont have to wait till you are made redundant under the circumstances. Ie no redundancy pay. Good luck in finding something
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Definitely start looking for another job straight away as soon as you are told you will be made redundant. its true that you are not legally entitled to any redundancy pay, but you might find you will be offered an extra week or two extra money as a sweetner - fingers crossed! I don't think you can claim JSA until you have actually left, but it will apply from the day after that.

I know its difficult, but try to view the situation as an opportunity, not a disaster. I've been made redundant three times, and each time its led to something better. Good luck.
    Sealed Pot Challenge no 035. Fashion on the Ration: 24/66 coupons spent.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I am actually still on probation so I believe I only have to be given a week's notice.

Just to clarify you would normally get this notice after the end of the 'at risk' period, not after the interview. You should still have some time, do you know how long it is before your role is actually made redundant?

I too have been made redundant - actually I think most working people will be made redundant a few times in their life. I completely understand the fear and the lack of control, but unemployment rates are low right now and you will most likely pick up a new job before long.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    The thing to do is to get your CV updated and top notch and start applying for jobs. If you manage to land something before they drop the axe, then you won't be losing a big redundancy payout, even in the unlikely event that they go above and beyond the statutory minimum, it will still be based on length of service.

You can only apply for JSA when you're available to start a new job, and so that's the day you're told not to come back in to the office (i.e. even if you're told you don't need to work your notice period).
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
  • describes
    describes Posts: 42 Forumite
    Thanks everyone.

I had my meeting and I have had the final day and pay amount confirmed which is more generous than expected.

I am in the middle of interviewing for a few jobs. I've hated this process as I have found recruiters to be really hard work but I'm confident after a few interviews that I will have a job in place ready.

I went to the job centre today as I was misadvised by them I can apply early to start the processing but a patronising woman told me to make it my "mission" not to return to the job centre.
    She told me to print out my CV and take it into coffee shops. And I should use this time to really focus on getting a job. Like I'm not already?!
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,522
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    They do say some stupid things sometimes. They don't seem able to cope with people who are on more than minimum wage, or are motivated to look elsewhere.
    Hopefully you'll find something soon and won't need to listen to them for much longer.

ETA - the claims process is started off online or by phone. They'll let you know when you need to attend in person.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • describes
    Thanks everyone.

I had my meeting and I have had the final day and pay amount confirmed which is more generous than expected.

I am in the middle of interviewing for a few jobs. I've hated this process as I have found recruiters to be really hard work but I'm confident after a few interviews that I will have a job in place ready.

I went to the job centre today as I was misadvised by them I can apply early to start the processing but a patronising woman told me to make it my "mission" not to return to the job centre.
    She told me to print out my CV and take it into coffee shops. And I should use this time to really focus on getting a job. Like I'm not already?!
  • describes
    elsien wrote: »
    They do say some stupid things sometimes. They don't seem able to cope with people who are on more than minimum wage, or are motivated to look elsewhere.
    Hopefully you'll find something soon and won't need to listen to them for much longer.

ETA - the claims process is started off online or by phone. They'll let you know when you need to attend in person.

I did apply online and didn't receive a call. Just a text telling me to turn up today so I did and they told me I should have called!

Thank you very much :) I am excited and for the first time since the announcement, I have eaten 3 full meals. Not sleeping properly yet but I am hopeful once I have a proper offer, I will be able relax more.
  • Paul_DNAP
    Paul_DNAP Posts: 751
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    describes wrote: »
    Thanks everyone.

Sadly, it's not a nice process, but you will get through it eventually.

And it's not helped by the jobcenters being staffed with the most unpleasant people on the planet, they truly are a despicable bunch who will set out to demoralise, ridicule and belittle you at every opportunity, just take a deep breath, take it in your stride and remember to be thankful for the JSA they will begrudgingly agree you're entitled to.

My job adviser wanted me to apply as a shelf stacker on my first appointment, so a coffee shop is quite generous of yours (I did hold out a few months longer and managed to land a job that uses my degree and 20+years experience the industry I trained for.)
    (Although I could be wrong, I often am.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure