MSE News: Barclays offers switchers double rewards for a year

Comments

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Katiehound wrote: »
    Just be warned that you need a Barclays card reader to make payments etc.online. Nationwide & Natwest readers will allow you to log in but they don't have an 'enter' button which you need to set up payments.
    Use the green OK button on your Nationwide reader, it serves the same purpose. You don't need the card reader to make payments but you do for new payees, my Nationwide reader allows you to use the 'sign' function just fine with a Barclays card
  • Ashen
    Ashen Posts: 592 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Had two texts from Barclays this morning, saying that they've contacted my old bank. Bit late considering the switch date I was given is tomorrow. Will see I guess.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    ColdIron wrote: »
    Use the green OK button on your Nationwide reader, it serves the same purpose. You don't need the card reader to make payments but you do for new payees, my Nationwide reader allows you to use the 'sign' function just fine with a Barclays card

No the green button OK did not work- tried it. Can't remember what it said but I needed to enter a code off the screen & I've a feeling it said something like choose function.. Do I dare try again with the 'sign' function? or risk getting blocked.....and yes, I did need the card reader because there are no payees on the new account.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,045 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Katiehound wrote: »
    No the green button OK did not work- tried it. Can't remember what it said but I needed to enter a code off the screen & I've a feeling it said something like choose function.. Do I dare try again with the 'sign' function? or risk getting blocked.....and yes, I did need the card reader because there are no payees on the new account.
    If you have no payees you will need to set some up with the card reader before you can transfer money (just like Nationwide). If you make future payments to these accounts you don't need the card reader as you have 'signed' them already. The buttons, symbols and colours are the same except Nationwide's green button says OK instead of Barclays Enter. Put your card in, it will ask you to SELECT FUNCTION, press the Sign button, enter your PIN (Press green OK), enter the account number of the new payee (Press green OK) and then the amount (remembering it's pence not pounds) (Press green OK) and you'll be given an 8 character code to enter online

It works, I did it this morning
  • Ashen
    Just to avoid any possible doubt over eligibility for existing Blue Rewards customers - they're sending this out to at least some customers (not sure who, since it wouldn't seem sensible on their part to send out to all customers?!):
    Get even more with double Barclays Blue Rewards

You're already enjoying monthly cash rewards through Barclays Blue Rewards – but you could be getting so much more. Double, to be exact.

If you've got another current account with a different bank, switch it to us by the 29 June 2018 using the Current Account Switching Service (CASS), and we'll give you double cash rewards every month for a year – up to £384^. Terms and Conditions apply
  • beefturnmail
    beefturnmail Posts: 906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    After applying for an account on the 10th May, had my branch 'appointment' (didn't pre-arrange one, just walked in) today for the switch as instructed by the e-mail.

Branch didn't seem to have much of a clue (didn't know about the 12 month blue reward incentive until I told them and they checked on the website - I rather got the impression I was the first in that branch to do this.)

Nevertheless the switch was processed in about 15 minutes, with no selling. The did ask why I was switching and I gave an honest answer (for the incentive).

They didn't ask to see any of my ID I had taken with me - but did ask me to put in my card into a reader and enter my PIN (which luckily had arrived yesterday). Switch date agreed for 24th May.

Then when I got home, I have a letter dated 11th May, saying "we are processing your switch as instructed which will take place on the 25th May", so it seems there was no need to go into the branch at all. Though now I seem to have 2 switches set up on the 24th and 25th. Will wait to see what happens....
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,552 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Had my 'interview' today.- had to make an appointment a week ago!
    It turns out that she was on holiday, hence the delay.
    Painless- ID checked and photocopied.
    She had loads of bank updates to read through but no mention of the switch deal with double Blue Rewards for a year!
    So, I was the first customer to make her aware.
    She transferred the money for me- so that payee is now on system.

If you are switching for the blue rewards deal you might be interested to get a quote for house/contents insurance as it would net £6 per month. I shall go in for a quote nearer my renewal date and see if the Barclays quote is cheaper / comparable.

Switch starts May 22nd, due to be completed 29th.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything! --
    Many thanks
    -Stash bust:in 2022:337
    Stash bust :2023. 120duvets, 24 bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lav bags,36 angels,9 bones, 1 knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramids = total 420 total spend £5. Total for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets,29 pyramids, 6 hottie covers, 4 knit hats,13 crochet angels,1 shopper, 87cards=163 £86 spent!!!
  • Ashen
    I had a switch date of the 16th on the form I signed at my switching appointment, letter through the post today confirming it as the 22nd.

If I was actually using my switching account as my main bank account I might be annoyed.
  • Katiehound wrote: »
    So, I was the first customer to make her aware.

This sort of thing annoys me. These people are employed to advise us and yet all too often we have to advise them!

I gave up trying to get any sense out of Barclays and filled in two forms *online*, so it is possible to do it online. One to get £75 to transfer my Santander account to Halifax and hopefully another £100 to transfer the extra Barclays account I ended up with, transferred to Natwest.
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
  • keef-WhatStandards
    keef-WhatStandards Posts: 286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 May 2018 at 2:08AM

Still can't get the hang of quoting on this board. I select the quote button at the bottom of the item I want to quote and it quotes the last post! :( Manually having to amend the poster's name in the quote box is daft. :(

Replying to Ashen :-

Since when has anything banks do been "sensible"? ;)

I get offers that don't apply to me all the time from Halifax and when queried I get told it is "a marketing decision". In other words it is cheaper to send letters out to all customers rather than program their system to pick out only the customers to whom the offer applies.

Tesco is another one. Opening my online banking, I get told I should apply for a second card, despite having two cards! They email me, despite insisting they don't accept email communication, telling me I do a to get b and when I do I get c. Then they insist I ring them to sort it out, rather than pass on my comments to their IT dept or contractors. :(

Perhaps it is just me?
    Keef - Sheerness, Kent UK
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family