Credit card cash interest advice please

Hi all, hope you are well.

I just wanted to ask some advice please, as recently taken out a credit card with 12 months 0% interest in purchases and 19.9% interest in cash withdrawals......

I know I shouldn't do it, but ive taken out approximately £1000 in cash over a 3 month period, so was thinking when I got paid, to pay off say £1000 of the balance.

What i need to ask is, if i do this will this flush out all of my cash interest in one go?

Ive been informed that because i have 0% in purchases then any money i pay towards my balance will always go on the highest rate of APR first (i.e cash withdrawals) so firstly is this true?

I was thinking of paying off a huge balance with my wages and then surviving that month using my credit card and that way i would get rid of all of my cash interest and not pick up any interest.

Can i ask does this work and is this the right way to do it?

Never done it this way before, so kind of doubting myself for some reason, so just wanted some advice really. Thank you.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    It will pay off the highest rate statemented balance.
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    How not to use a 0% purchases card.
  • jonjon123
    jonjon123 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Very helpful, thanks.

Think i already stated that didnt i?
  • How not to use a 0% purchases card.

How not to use any credit card...
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    jonjon123 wrote: »
    Very helpful, thanks.

Think i already stated that didnt i?
    You did.

But I felt a one liner warning to others was in order.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    jonjon123 wrote: »
    Hi all, hope you are well.

I just wanted to ask some advice please, as recently taken out a credit card with 12 months 0% interest in purchases and 19.9% interest in cash withdrawals......

I know I shouldn't do it, but ive taken out approximately £1000 in cash over a 3 month period, so was thinking when I got paid, to pay off say £1000 of the balance.

What i need to ask is, if i do this will this flush out all of my cash interest in one go?

You need to pay off the £1000 you withdrew plus all the interest that has accrued, and then next month there will be a little bit more trailing interest that will also need paying off. Then you need to not do this again!
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • jonjon123
    jonjon123 Posts: 57 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    MallyGirl wrote: »
    You need to pay off the £1000 you withdrew plus all the interest that has accrued, and then next month there will be a little bit more trailing interest that will also need paying off. Then you need to not do this again!

Ok, so basically pay off all the cash i have withdrawn and then I have to do it again next month? Correct?

Will that then flush out literally EVERYTHING I have built up? Regardless of whether I did it all in same month or previous months?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure