NatWest won't open a new account without an email address

I have an elderly friend who is not in the best of health. She does not own a computer, or a smartphone.

My friend has a current account with NatWest that she has held for the past 50-years. She now wants to open a linked NatWest savings account to deposit some money that is for a specific purpose and that she wants to keep separate from her current account monies.

I was surprised to be told that NatWest has refused to allow my friend to open a savings account with them because she doesn't have an email address. She has telephoned NatWest several times and has escalated her request beyond the Call Centre keyboard drones to supervisor level. The answer is still the same: 'No email address, therefore no savings account'. Even if she makes a personal visit to her local NatWest branch, she still will not be allowed to open a savings account.

I cannot see the logic here, as my friend's current account has been running for the past 50-years without an email address. Surely opening a savings account linked to an existing current account shouldn't be an issue?

Is this 'email address' requirement typical of all banks nowadays, or is NatWest just being obdurate?
______
Razoo

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Calling people who are just doing their job drones is uncalled for.

Anyways, have you looked at Natwest savings rates....they are abysmal.
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Most savings accounts are online these-days so maybe NatWest do not offer any branch based savings accounts.
    Could you:
    - Open a 2nd current acct with NatWest?
    - Open a branch based acct elsewhere?
    - Set up an email address for your friend and monitor it for them, providing that once set up the account can be operated from a branch?
  • polymaff
    polymaff Posts: 3,904 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Logic? Banks? No, can't see any connection there. :)

Can't you just lend her an email address?

Or attempt to counter her ULS (undeserved loyalty syndrome)?
  • Razoo
    Razoo Posts: 126 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Tom99 wrote: »
    Most savings accounts are online these-days so maybe NatWest do not offer any branch based savings accounts.

Possibly not - I don't know.
    Could you:
    - Open a 2nd current acct with NatWest?
    Not without an email address, it seems.
    - Open a branch based acct elsewhere?
    Yes, but for some reason my friend wants to remain loyal to NatWest.
    - Set up an email address for your friend and monitor it for them, providing that once set up the account can be operated from a branch?

I've considered that option, although having had personal experience of NatWest myself, I've suggested she changes to another bank.

My friend no longer drives and is basically housebound, so she must have telephone banking.
    _____
    Razoo
  • Razoo
    BoGoF wrote: »
    Calling people who are just doing their job drones is uncalled for.

Really? Presumably you've never suffered the acute frustration of being persistently stonewalled by the 'computer says "No"' mentality of some call centres?
    Anyways, have you looked at Natwest savings rates....they are abysmal.

They certainly are abysmal, rather like the interest rates offered by Halifax Bank (other providers of abysmal interest rates are available) :)
    _____
    Razoo
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,106 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    You need n email address and a mobile phone number to open the linked savings account.

The Customer Service person cannot change the banks rules.

https://personal.natwest.com/personal/_compare_savings_accounts/_instant_saver.html

How do I open and manage my account?
    Your eligibility

You must be a UK resident aged 16 years or over and already have a current account with us, or apply for a current account with us at the same time.

We will also need your email address and mobile number to open your account.

You can open and manage your account on our mobile app, online, in branch or by telephone.

You can also pay money into your account at one of our cash deposit machines.

No minimum deposit is required to open the account; no minimum deposit needs to be made on a regular basis; and there is no maximum balance limit.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Just create a gmail/yahoo address for her and check it once a week/month or when you like, jobs a good un.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,403 Forumite
    How about a Virgin account manageable by phone or post?

https://uk.virginmoney.com/savings/find/results/store-or-post
  • Maybe the banks are just doing their jobs?

Personally I wouldn’t want you as a customer were you to refer to their staff in such manners
  • Razoo
    sheramber wrote: »
    You need an email address and a mobile phone number to open the linked savings account.

I wonder why an email address is mandatory, even when the customer visits the branch to open an account?

This seems quite discriminatory. I know many (generally older) people who do not have an email address. Presumably they don't have a NatWest bank account either.

To reiterate my original question: Is this 'email address' requirement typical of all banks nowadays, or is NatWest just being obdurate?
    _____
    Razoo
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family