Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Comments

• Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,249 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Rental agents seem to make up the rules as they go along. Finding this out via my DS - licence to print money. Hope he gets it sorted.

Sounds like you're DS's PA :)

Cold and sunny here today too.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • Letting agents are great at making money out of people , it’s a shame you can’t get your hands on tenancy agreement.

Agree about You Gov surveys .

I agree :mad:
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Rental agents seem to make up the rules as they go along. Finding this out via my DS - licence to print money. Hope he gets it sorted.

Sounds like you're DS's PA :)

Cold and sunny here today too.

I feel like DS's PA but without the pay :rotfl:
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,186 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ask agency for copy of lease :mad:

Another one here who will be drawing their pemsion before I get to payout on You Gov too. Bah.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Wow it moves fast in here, I can't keep up :rotfl:

Hope you get the rental sorted, they can be so annoying but at least once it's done it will be out the way before he goes. He flys on my birthday :rotfl:

Hope he has an amazing time x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 2 February 2018 at 10:06AM
    I'm going to try very hard not to worry about DS2 and may or may not succeed :rotfl:. He's staying in a hostel in a shared room this time as it's cheaper. Rather him than me :eek:. Still he's young and I'd have probably done it at his age.

Your mention of staying in a hostel brought back some very happy memories for me:j. In my youth (decades ago:o) I did lots of travelling with only a female friend. It wasn't a gap-year type of experience, no on had heard of gap-years that long ago:rotfl:) but done as and when we had the time and money to do it. We always stayed in hostels, some of the Far Eastern ones were pretty basic:eek: but we never came to any harm:j. It was a great opportunity to meet people from so many different cultures and an experience I wouldn't have missed for the world. Some of the rooms we stayed in were massive dormitories but all went well. We were usually so tired every night we slept like logs despite the noise and bustle.

Needless to say my Mother was a nervous wreck for the whole duration of each of my trips but nothing bad ever befell us and we came to no harm. I think hostels are far better regulated now and a good, inexpensive way to travel. Just impress on your DS the need for extra vigilance when it comes to security of his belongings when staying in hostels.
  • Verbatim
    Verbatim Posts: 4,830 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    If the tenancy was the usual shorthold it is standard for notice to need to be given 1 month ahead starting on the rent day. The landlord must give 2 months.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
  • beanielou wrote: »
    Ask agency for copy of lease :mad:

Another one here who will be drawing their pemsion before I get to payout on You Gov too. Bah.

Tell me about it :mad:
    Wow it moves fast in here, I can't keep up :rotfl:

Hope you get the rental sorted, they can be so annoying but at least once it's done it will be out the way before he goes. He flys on my birthday :rotfl:

Hope he has an amazing time x

He is looking forward to going Wannabe :)
    Verbatim wrote: »
    If the tenancy was the usual shorthold it is standard for notice to need to be given 1 month ahead starting on the rent day. The landlord must give 2 months.

That's what the agency woman said Verbatim. DH has dropped off an amended letter now, so at least there's a limit to DS2's financial commitment!
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Your mention of staying in a hostel brought back some very happy memories for me:j. In my youth (decades ago:o) I did lots of travelling with only a female friend. It wasn't a gap-year type of experience, no on had heard of gap-years that long ago:rotfl:) but done as and when we had the time and money to do it. We always stayed in hostels, some of the Far Eastern ones were pretty basic:eek: but we never came to any harm:j. It was a great opportunity to meet people from so many different cultures and an experience I wouldn't have missed for the world. Some of the rooms we stayed in were massive dormitories but all went well. We were usually so tired every night we slept like logs despite the noise and bustle.

Needless to say my Mother was a nervous wreck for the whole duration of each of my trips but nothing bad ever befell us and we came to no harm. I think hostels are far better regulated now and a good, inexpensive way to travel. Just impress on your DS the need for extra vigilance when it comes to security of his belongings when staying in hostels.

The lovely people on here are very good at making me feel less anxious :). DS2's hostel looks clean and respectable (judging by the photos) and there are lockable cupboards by every bed. It will be a good life experience for him (I keep telling myself).

You obviously have very happy memories of your travels Carboot :). I wish I'd done more travelling when I was young.

My mum had sleepless nights when DH and I did a parachute jump a few weeks before our wedding. I couldn't understand why she was worried at the time :rotfl:, but I'd be terrified if any of my DC did one :eek:
  • I've made DH go to the doctor this afternoon as he felt confused this morning and had a bad headache :(. Hopefully it's just stress. He's also going to ask for a prostate cancer check because of his brother.

I found a message this morning from a friend saying our other friend had been trying to get hold of me to invite me to a get together tonight. A bit short notice, but as my social life is non existent it happens that I'm available tonight :rotfl:.

I'll see what the doctor says about DH, but if he gets a clean bill of health then I'll go. I can tell DS1 to keep an eye on DH which he is very good at. It won''t do my budget or diet much good, but it's the same pub as last time, which did good value food (and wine ;)).

I went for my walk this morning and it's been a NSD :D.

I hope everyone is having a good Friday so far. I can't believe it's Friday again!
  • Munchin
    Munchin Posts: 2,816 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Debt-free and Proud!
    Hi HHD - I hope DH is ok.

My social life is a bit like yours...sparse :o. Most of my friends have young kids so it's not easy for them to get out and about but we have a ball when we meet up.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback