Here we can all be heard for a little while. Part 3

Comments

• Aw, thank you for being so lovely, everyone. So far so good, I have explained my childhood to my cousin and he didn't run away! He sent a lovely email back instead saying he has nothing but admiration for me. I haven't really touched on mental health yet other than to say obviously bad situations leave their scars but slowly does it!

He is interested in knowing what it was like to grow up in the area where almost all of our ancestors and I were born because he moved away when he was five. This is where I have to point out that I was kept very isolated so don't really know much about an ordinary childhood there. I shall do my best though!
    Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened - Anatole France

If I knew that the world would end tomorrow, I would still plant apple trees today - Martin Luther King
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Yes! Jump to it, Lambyr!

(Says she, lolling about on the bed doing MSE stuff!:rotfl:)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• aww thanks so much, everyone for the positive encouragement :)
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • Lambyr wrote: »
    Good job I'm writing medieval fantasy isn't it?
    Of the swords, sorcery and dragons kind? Or lots of barons fighting for power, having wars and arguing with the king but no magic involved kind?

I've read a lot of fantasy, mostly of the former kind, but some which might be called "historical fantasy" as well - no magic or strange creatures, but still set in medieval times (whether on this world or another), and some set against the backdrop of famous events in history.

Often wondered why in fiction including magic, they almost never get around to having an industrial revolution.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pyxis
    Of the swords, sorcery and dragons kind? Or lots of barons fighting for power, having wars and arguing with the king but no magic involved kind?

I've read a lot of fantasy, mostly of the former kind, but some which might be called "historical fantasy" as well - no magic or strange creatures, but still set in medieval times (whether on this world or another), and some set against the backdrop of famous events in history.

Often wondered why in fiction including magic, they almost never get around to having an industrial revolution.

Sometimes, as in Star Trek, they have a sort of hybrid society, where they are outwardly mediaeval, but there is some advanced technology lurking about.

Then there are the societies that are truly mediaeval, but that's 'cos they're kept that way by a benevolent despot of a giant, ruling computer under the hillside.

And finally you have the societies who were once technologically advanced, but who have rejected that technology for the simple rural life, and won't have anything to do with anything that smacks of technology, lest it takes them down the road to
    Armageddon yet again.

Sci-Fi geek? Moi? :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• Pyxis
    It's interesting, Lambyr! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    Well now I want to go home and read LOTR rather than spend the day at work!
  • Despite the fact I have bookshelves full of fantasy and scifi novels, I've never read LOTR :o
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Pyxis
    edited 14 September 2016 at 9:06AM
    Despite the fact I have bookshelves full of fantasy and scifi novels, I've never read LOTR :o

My school, despite being a very conservative convent school, had a few very cutting-edge teachers, which, of course, I didn't realise at the time, only many years later in hindsight.

I can remember when the school library got three sets of the books in, and this must have been only a few years after it was first published.
    There was a waiting list to read the books, but I got there in the end!

A new music teacher got us singing pieces that were relatively newly composed, too.

It's so true that youth is wasted on the young! :D
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• tea_lover
    tea_lover Posts: 8,261 Forumite
    I only recently finished them all. The books had been on my 'to read' pile for years. I read The Hobbit a few years ago and loved it but it took me a while to get into the others. I persevered though and am v glad I did as they were just wonderful. The imagery definitely stays with you.

Am currently on the third of the Duncton books which no one else ever seems to have heard of. There are six books, they're each about 1000 pages and they're about moles :rotfl:! But oh my, they are mesmerising. I've never been so engrossed. I can see that they definitely wouldn't be for everyone (what with being about moles, and a very strong religious allegorical theme), but I can't stop banging on about them to anyone who'll listen. Definitely not for children, despite the cute animals involved - there's a lot of violence, etc.

I was in floods of tears the other night while reading, and genuinely gasped out loud a couple of times :rotfl:.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback