Change in wedding company

Options
We booked a wedding at a council owned venue for later this year. The council contract out the running of weddings to a local company so you pay the venue directly for the booking and then everything else is done through the catering company (so they arrange the day etc).

I've just had an email saying the company are no longer running weddings at this venue and the contract has now been transferred to a new company. They've said all deposits etc will be transferred, the booking remains in place, the price doesn't change and the menu etc will remain the same.

I am slightly nervous because the company that have taken over do not have many reviews online (in contrast to the previous company who had been running events at this venue for 10 years). What should I be checking/asking to make sure that nothing goes wrong?

Comments

• MankyVegSoup
    Options
    Have they given you a contact at the new company?

I'd suggest asking for a meeting with them and going through everything that's in your contract. Ask them lots of questions about how they will manage your day (timings, coordination with other suppliers etc) and quiz them on their experience. It could be a new company but the people may have loads of experience.

A face to face meeting will give you a much better feel for whether they are competent (or not).

If after that alarm bells are ringing, then it's time to look at your contract small print and see if you have grounds to cancel.
  • JCS1
    JCS1 Posts: 5,288 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You may find it's the same staff, as they will have TUPE'd over from the previous catering company to the new one.
  • m0t
    m0t Posts: 327 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The 'new' company isn't new but still pretty small. They have told us that some staff are transferring over but the two chefs own the old company so aren't.

Both companies are small and the people that run the old one have bought a wedding venue so I think that's why they are not doing this one any more.

Should I ask for the new people to send through a new contract and some kind of statement to show deposits etc?

I don't think we have a choice in canceling now as all the invites have gone out, hotel rooms booked etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure