NatWest won't open a new account without an email address

Comments

• Razoo
    Razoo Posts: 126 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 14 January 2019 at 9:15PM
    This call centre was very very competent from what you have written so far, they correctly explained to what would seem to be a slightly confused customer that these accounts are only available to people who can supply an email address.

I'm not convinced that NatWest are deserving of your tautologous praise. The call centre did indeed inform my friend that she could not open a savings account over the telephone without an email address. However, the issue then became whether my friend could open a savings account (without an email address) if she visited her local NatWest branch in person. Securing the definitive answer to this question was quite arduous and the reason why subsequent telephone calls were made and why my friend asked to be escalated to supervisor level.

Ultimately my friend was told that even if she did visit her local NatWest branch in person, she still would not be allowed to open a savings account without providing an email address. My friend thought this was unreasonable. So did I.

My friend might have mobility problems, but mentally she is right on the button.
    You seem to have wanted them to break the bank’s policy for you, which of course would be something that would actually indicate incompetence.

At no time was NatWest asked to set aside its account opening policy. Once the bank's irrational policy had been fully established, my friend was motivated to find an alternative bank that was more customer friendly. And that is exactly what she did.

Incidentally, had NatWest condescended to allow their loyal, long-term customer to open a new savings account without providing an email address, I believe such a concession would be more appropriately described as 'compassionate', rather than 'incompetent'.
    _____
    Razoo
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Razoo wrote: »

My friend no longer drives and is basically housebound, so she must have telephone banking.
    _____
    Razoo

First Direct maybe a better option then. Rather dated now but at least it's geared up .
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,007 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    True, but as I stated in my originating post, my friend has a current account with NatWest that she has held for the past 50-years. Consequently she already is a NatWest customer, unless or until NatWest choose to close her current account because she doesn't have an email address.

My friend is housebound and needs telephone banking.
    _____
    Razoo

Appointing someone with power of attorney sounds as if it could be very useful in this situation. For many things.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Really? Presumably you've never suffered the acute frustration of being persistently stonewalled by the 'computer says "No"' mentality of some call centres?

If you don't like the fact that all of the staff are giving you the same answer, perhaps you should stop to consider the answer might be accurate and something outwith their control?
  • JuicyJesus
    JuicyJesus Posts: 3,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    It's a business decision that NatWest are entirely within their rights to make. Their staff are following that business decision, as is their job.

Either give them an email address or go somewhere else. That's your options. There is no third option.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
  • Razoo
    Razoo Posts: 126 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Today my friend received an unexpected telephone call from a NatWest representative.

Apparently NatWest has had a change of heart and revised their account opening policies. It appears that not having an email address is no longer an obstacle to opening a new NatWest account.

The NatWest representative offered to open a new account for my friend, but it's too late as she has already opened one with Nationwide.

I'm not sure whether it's now possible to open a new NatWest account online without an email address, or whether the policy relaxation applies only to telephone and branch applications. It's unlikely that anyone able to open an account online would not have an email address.

I wonder why NatWest has had the change of heart?

Maybe they read this forum :D
    _____
    Razoo
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This seems quite discriminatory. I know many (generally older) people who do not have an email address.

I think you might be right. It's probably worth a speculative complaint to FOS.

There are rules about treating fairly in banking. I don't know where FOS would land on insisting people have email addresses when opening accounts in banks but there is a hint of unfairness about it, I don't think it would be clear cut in the banks favour.
  • jonnygee2
    jonnygee2 Posts: 2,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    This call centre was very very competent from what you have written so far, they correctly explained to what would seem to be a slightly confused customer that these accounts are only available to people who can supply an email address.

They are a customer service division. They should bend over backwards to make every customer feel satisfied and cared about, and focus on solving their customers problems for them. They could have asked the account holder to come to a branch and helped them set up an email account for example.

It's telling of how poor banking customer service actually is in the UK, when we start thinking they are doing their job as long as they are filling in their forms correctly.

I think it's perfectly fine to expect better.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I noticed this issue when I was setting up a new current account for mum and dad. Dad has dementia and so mum manages the account. They have an email address that has both of their names on but only mum is able to use it. Yet it would not let me proceed with the application until I provided an email address for dad! I used one of mine (I have 3- not for any nefarious reason, I use different ones for different things) and told mum I would pass on anything important I received- so it seems the practice is still in use!
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Armorica
    Armorica Posts: 866 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    One reason to require an email address is so it can be used for certain written communications - like notifying a change of interest rate. It costs the banks millions to do mailshots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure