Has anyone had any luck cancelling a membership/subscription by citing 'unfair terms'?

Hi there,

Not sure if I'm in the right section so I tread carefully.

My question relates to a subscription I have with a local bike sharing scheme. I have been a member for the past two and a half years.

Their memberships are either a 12 month subscription (either paid annually or debited per month) or you can PAYG. Should you wish to cancel, according to their terms, you need to give them 4 weeks notice. Otherwise, it's possible that your membership will renew for another 12 months! Terms here - nextbike.co.uk/media/201806_terms_nextbikeUK.pdf

I've not had any problems with my subscription until now, where I'm hoping to cancel due to the fact that I'm no longer using their bikes as often.

I have a feeling as my membership 'auto-renewed' (not too sure, the regular amount just came off my ccard), I could be tied in until May 2019 (the full 12 months).

What are my chances to cancel by giving 4 weeks notice and citing the unfair terms?

They do not provide any advance warning to advise that the membership may potentially renew should they not be contacted. The exact section I'm referring to is 5.19.1 of the Consumer Rights Act -

assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/450440/Unfair_Terms_Main_Guidance.pdf

Looking for some advice before approaching them :)

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,542 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    They do not provide any advance warning to advise that the membership may potentially renew should they not be contacted. The exact section I'm referring to is 5.19.1 of the Consumer Rights Act -

from the t&cs you linked section 15.3
    3) The Annual rate is valid for 12 months following the order. The validity is automatically extended by one year, unless the customer cancels the tariff in writing or per e-mail at least 4 weeks prior to expiration.
  • I dont think the terms are unfair - I do however believe that you must be contacted before auto renewal. So you may have grounds to complain if you didnt receive any notification that it will auto renew.

Give them a ring and ask would be the first option, be friendly and if that fails then you can give it the full works later on.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sky, Vodafone, BT, gym's and a thousand more companies can hold us to 12 month contracts so what's unfair about a bike sharing company doing the same?

Your clutching at straws.
  • bris wrote: »
    Sky, Vodafone, BT, gym's and a thousand more companies can hold us to 12 month contracts so what's unfair about a bike sharing company doing the same?

Your clutching at straws.

None of those autorenew for an extra year though as far as I know (at least they haven't with me). Normally a 12-24 month initial contract followed by an autorenew rolling contract, at which point you can normally push for a better deal and go onto another fixed term.

The only thing I've ever known to autorenew for a full year is insurance.

The new guidelines say that you must be given sufficient reminders before renewal, so if they didn't then you have a case.
  • wesleyad wrote: »

The new guidelines say that you must be given sufficient reminders before renewal, so if they didn't then you have a case.

Which specific guidelines?
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Which specific guidelines?

CMA's unfair term guidance I would guess (the old guidance being OFT's)
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • Which specific guidelines?

I was just having a look around and most places were saying there needs to be a reminder. This from the gov website kind of agrees. It doesn't say you have to, but implies without it the terms could be unfair:

"For example, your terms are more likely to be fair if:
    It is made clear to customers at the outset how their subscription or contract will be renewed and the contract requires that they are sent a reminder a reasonable time before it is due to be renewed. The reminder should include clear information about the terms of the proposed renewal of the contract and the reasonable steps customers need to take to stop the renewal, if they wish to."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/unfair-terms-explained-for-businesses-full-guide#subscriptions-and-automatic-rollovers
  • unforeseen
    unforeseen Posts: 7,279 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It doesn't say that it is unfair if the GUIDELINES aren't followed though. My interpretation is that if followed then it's clearcut fair. If not all followed then there MAY be a question of doubt.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure