Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gloryninja
    • By gloryninja 17th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 1Thanks
    gloryninja
    I am not fit to work - would they accept these reasons?
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:20 PM
    I am not fit to work - would they accept these reasons? 17th Jun 19 at 9:20 PM
    Hello!

I have recently applied for universal credit for the first time and i have mentioned that i am unable to work due to Depression and Drug addiction therapy .

I am 26 years old , got a full BSc degree and graduated back in 2015 and for most of my life i have always worked until early 2017 when everything started to go bad.

Many things lead me to a very bad drug addiction problem which i am currently getting support for. I am on a methadone treatment and i have found it very difficult to get back to work.

I have actually got hired in two different jobs where i literally quit 2 weeks later due to my health causing a problem. I am not a lazy person and if i was healthy enough to work, i will do anything to go back to work but in my conditions right now, it is very difficult to do so.

I have a doctors sick note for Drug addiction therapy and on anti depressants for my depression and methadone for my addiction.

Under UC, am i eligible for medical benefits ? I will be seeing my coach/worker soon who will see if i am unfit for work etc but i know how many people assume drug addiction is not a good enough reason and sometiems even shunned but with advice from my GP who provided me the sick note and quitting 2 jobs in less then 6 month due to my health, is that good enough to prove that i am unfit to work?

I am not taking drugs daily anymore (but still do just not daily) since i am on methadone and it is a process for me to get back to a healthier state which i am dying to get too but right now, i am not able to get a job under my circumstances and afraid that they wont take me seriously for depression or drug addiction.

any advice?
    Last edited by gloryninja; 25-06-2019 at 4:27 PM.
Page 1
    • Newly retired
    • By Newly retired 17th Jun 19, 9:43 PM
    • 2,417 Posts
    • 2,835 Thanks
    Newly retired
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:43 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:43 PM
    You will need to complete both a paper assessment and a face to face assessment. You will need to meet the criteria to show you have limited capability for work, or limited capability for Work Related activity.
    Have a look at the descriptors, or better still, get CAB to help you with the form.
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/universal-credit/claiming/getting-universal-credit-if-youre-sick-or-disabled/
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 17th Jun 19, 9:44 PM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 5,013 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:44 PM
    • 17th Jun 19, 9:44 PM
    It's not your work coach that will determine whether you're fit for work or not. For this your work coach will refer you for the work capability assessment. Once this is done you'll receive a work capability assessment, which you'll need to fill in and return with all your evidence to support your claim.

You'll most likely need a face to face work capability assessment and you'll be asked questions about your daily life and how your conditions affect you. They will assess your ability to do any type of work. Once the assessment is complete they will write a report and return it to the DWP with recommendations in it.

A decision maker will look at the report and make a decision. Once this is made you'll either be found fit for work, have limited capability for work, or limited capability for work related activity (LCWRA) if the decision is LCWRA then you'll receive an extra £336 per month from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent in your first fit note.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/Ill-Injured-or-Disabled/Universal-Credit-Capability-for-work-assessment

https://wcainfo.net/issues/substantial-risk-lcwra
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 18th Jun 19, 6:41 AM
    • 6,559 Posts
    • 7,274 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:41 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:41 AM
    I'm not familiar with how UC works, but if somebody is claiming to be unable to work due to illness won't they have to provide a medical certificate (Fit Note) from their doctor?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 18th Jun 19, 6:45 AM
    • 5,416 Posts
    • 5,013 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:45 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:45 AM
    I'm not familiar with how UC works, but if somebody is claiming to be unable to work due to illness won't they have to provide a medical certificate (Fit Note) from their doctor?
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    They already have one. Lots of people still call them "sick notes" but it's the same thing of course.
    I have a doctors sick note
    Originally posted by gloryninja
    • calcotti
    • By calcotti 18th Jun 19, 7:24 AM
    • 2,802 Posts
    • 1,879 Thanks
    calcotti
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:24 AM
    • 18th Jun 19, 7:24 AM
    They already have one. Lots of people still call them "sick notes" but it's the same thing of course.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    ‘Fit Note’ being government speak for ‘sick note’ as expressed in the language of us ordinary people given that the purpose of the note is to state why one is not fit!
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 18th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    • 4,652 Posts
    • 11,842 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    • 18th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 3:35 PM
    ‘Fit Note’ being government speak for ‘sick note’ as expressed in the language of us ordinary people given that the purpose of the note is to state why one is not fit!
    Originally posted by calcotti
    I thought the purpose of calling it a 'fit note' was so that the doctor could state what the person was able to do?
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 18th Jun 19, 6:15 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:15 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:15 PM
    If your depression is being treated and you are using methodone to come off the heroin then what exactly is the health issue that stops you being able to do any job at all?
    • ikcdab
    • By ikcdab 18th Jun 19, 6:29 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 70 Thanks
    ikcdab
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:29 PM
    • 18th Jun 19, 6:29 PM
    i think the answer has been given correctly above. You need to apply for the LCW element of UC - you do this by completing a form that asks you to describe how your illness affects you. This will be assessed and you will be interviewed. You score points for how closely you match the descriptors. If you score enough points you get it, if you don't then you don't. All you can do is apply and see what happens. You should ask your doctor to provide evidence to support your claim.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 18th Jun 19, 6:33 PM
    • 19,356 Posts
    • 49,135 Thanks
    elsien
    It's not about the label but about the impact it has on you. So you will need to be specific about the reasons you were unable to continue with the jobs and how you meet the descriptors, as above.
    Saying "I'm on methadone" and "I have depression" isn't enough to get you anywhere.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 18th Jun 19, 7:37 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    It's not about the label but about the impact it has on you. So you will need to be specific about the reasons you were unable to continue with the jobs and how you meet the descriptors, as above.
    Saying "I'm on methadone" and "I have depression" isn't enough to get you anywhere.
    Originally posted by elsien
    Indeed. I’ve friends with depression anxiety and a bad cocaine and alcohol habit who manage to be high performers twelve hours per day in the city.

As you say, the labels are irrelevant, the OP needs to explain what it is that is stopping them working.
    • cantcope
    • By cantcope 18th Jun 19, 8:12 PM
    • 1,766 Posts
    • 1,326 Thanks
    cantcope
    i cant offer any valuable advice but wanted to congratulate you on tackling your addiction. I wish you well for a bright future
    my eyes are like mirrors. They reflect whats going on around me rather than whats inside
    Original debt May 06 £16569,25th Feb 08 DEBT FREE

Last bet : 26th October 2006
    • gloryninja
    • By gloryninja 25th Jun 19, 4:20 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gloryninja
    Wow

thank you to all who responded with wonderful advice for me.

I do understand that they asses on how your medical situation effects your ability to work etc...

Although i am on methadone, i am definately not recovered and still suffer with the most basic stuff. When i got that job in iceland , i thought this was my chance to fix my life up but 2 weeks into my job, i physically and mentally could not handle the work and i stopped going to work with even not letting my manager know as i felt severe anxiety to contact him... I received a letter 3 weeks later stating that i am no longer an employee.

(i used to work at tesco back in 2011 for 3 years and was one of the top employees) but now its just impossible.

Would mentioning this during my assessment help my case?

Please note that i do not take drugs to get high... im way pass that now... no amount of heroin will make me feel high, i take it too feel normal and reduce withdrawals... I have to go chemist every single day for my methadone as even though my heroin use has reduced significantly, i still use it along with other drugs. 2 years ago i overdosed on fentanyl 3 times...

I refused to claim benefits before but it was only since 2018 that i realised how much it was impacted me in a negative way. my anxiety level is high, i leave my phone on silent to avoid calls as it causes me to panic...
    Last edited by gloryninja; 25-06-2019 at 4:26 PM.
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 25th Jun 19, 8:46 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    How long is your reduction of methodone program, I.e. how many weeks until you are off it?
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 25th Jun 19, 9:11 PM
    • 6,868 Posts
    • 12,400 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Does your addiction team know you're still on opiates along with the methadone?
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 25th Jun 19, 9:18 PM
    • 408 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    I don’t know how I managed to miss that point.

OP, you have to get his sorted out, now. What do you think that you are doing?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 25th Jun 19, 10:04 PM
    • 17,403 Posts
    • 13,551 Thanks
    hollydays
    I don’t know how I managed to miss that point.

OP, you have to get his sorted out, now. What do you think that you are doing?
    Originally posted by Kentish Dave
    Recovering from heroin addiction is not an overnight thing, but what he's doing is very dangerous.
    Last edited by hollydays; 25-06-2019 at 10:14 PM.
    • gloryninja
    • By gloryninja 26th Jun 19, 10:52 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    gloryninja
    Originally posted by GlasweJen
    Hi

Yes , I have to give a urine test every week anyways and its better to be honest with my keyworker to get the right support.

I wont be getting off methadone anytime soon... it takes years to get leaned off it and im at the beginning of my recovery.

I did manage to be clean for 2 month during the first 2 month of my methadone recovery but a week after i started my job at iceland, i went back into heroin since i still had to go chemist everyday for my methadone and since i started work at 11am and finished at 10pm, i had to take my methadone around 9am and i always start to feel withdrawals around 10pm ... I should of been allowed to take my methadone home but till this day, i dont know why they never let me since i was clean for 2 month.

I have a first degree in BSc Computing which i graduated in 2015 . Since i was 17, i always had a job and due to my experiences, it is far more easier for me to land a job if i was to look for one...

If i was capable of working even the slightest, i would of never considered universal credit . One thing i dont want people to think is that i want to claim benefits to feed my habits. I still pay for my methadone script even though im not working which is £9.00 everyweek and an additional £9.00 for my GP script every 2 weeks. If it wasnt for my loving family, i would of been doomed a long time ago.

Once i am on a stable medication for my depression and on methadone with no other illicit drugs in my system where i feel physically and mentally healthy to work , i will notify them... i will love to go back to work but if i couldnt last 2 weeks doing the most basic of work, i wont risk it.

I posted my health and disability questionnaire i received yesterday in post and also i got my work search review tomorrow. I provided an updated fit note which covers the next two month.

I will update tomorrow after my appointment!
    Last edited by gloryninja; 26-06-2019 at 11:08 AM.
    • Takmon
    • By Takmon 26th Jun 19, 1:26 PM
    • 679 Posts
    • 664 Thanks
    Takmon
    I still pay for my methadone script even though im not working which is £9.00 everyweek and an additional £9.00 for my GP script every 2 weeks.
    So your paying £702 a year on prescriptions?

You can get unlimited prescriptions for £104 a year with a PPC, which would save you £598 a year, or does this not apply to you for some reason?

https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/help-with-health-costs/save-money-with-a-prescription-prepayment-certificate-ppc/
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 26th Jun 19, 3:19 PM
    • 17,403 Posts
    • 13,551 Thanks
    hollydays
    Hi

Yes , I have to give a urine test every week anyways and its better to be honest with my keyworker to get the right support.

I wont be getting off methadone anytime soon... it takes years to get leaned off it and im at the beginning of my recovery.

I did manage to be clean for 2 month during the first 2 month of my methadone recovery but a week after i started my job at iceland, i went back into heroin since i still had to go chemist everyday for my methadone and since i started work at 11am and finished at 10pm, i had to take my methadone around 9am and i always start to feel withdrawals around 10pm ... I should of been allowed to take my methadone home but till this day, i dont know why they never let me since i was clean for 2 month.

I have a first degree in BSc Computing which i graduated in 2015 . Since i was 17, i always had a job and due to my experiences, it is far more easier for me to land a job if i was to look for one...

If i was capable of working even the slightest, i would of never considered universal credit . One thing i dont want people to think is that i want to claim benefits to feed my habits. I still pay for my methadone script even though im not working which is £9.00 everyweek and an additional £9.00 for my GP script every 2 weeks. If it wasnt for my loving family, i would of been doomed a long time ago.

Once i am on a stable medication for my depression and on methadone with no other illicit drugs in my system where i feel physically and mentally healthy to work , i will notify them... i will love to go back to work but if i couldnt last 2 weeks doing the most basic of work, i wont risk it.

I posted my health and disability questionnaire i received yesterday in post and also i got my work search review tomorrow. I provided an updated fit note which covers the next two month.

I will update tomorrow after my appointment!
    Are you not worried on the combination of methadone and opiates you could overdose?
    I expect they wouldn’t let you take the methadone home because people sell it
    Last edited by hollydays; 26-06-2019 at 3:22 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,494Users online

Martin's Twitter