Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Autumn86
    • By Autumn86 8th Jun 19, 5:16 PM
    • 209Posts
    • 59Thanks
    Autumn86
    Am I entitled to any benefits? (Average income earner)
    • 8th Jun 19, 5:16 PM
    Am I entitled to any benefits? (Average income earner) 8th Jun 19 at 5:16 PM
    Hello I just wondered if anyone knew of any benefits which I am entitled to based on my salary?

I used to claim various benefits for multiple years, and so was very knowledgable about them all;
    However that was many years ago now, but so am not especially well-versed with what the current available benefits out there area...

I work full-time (36 hours per week / 3x 12-hour shifts), and my monthly take-home pay (after tax) is between £1,960 - £2,050.
    I get paid at an enhanced rate for every shift which is a night shift (so every alternate week) + for all shifts which are on weekends, so my pay can vary by around £100 either way each month.

So my yearly salary is just over 30k,
    which whilst I appreciate doesn't put me in poverty, as someone who lives/works in the London area this is probably slightly below average wage.

I'm aged in my late 20s, not married, and don't have any kids, so know I don't qualify for any child benefits;
    But wondered if I qualify for any other benefits or tax-breaks such as working-tax credits?
    Last edited by Autumn86; 08-06-2019 at 5:18 PM.
Page 2
    • Autumn86
    • By Autumn86 10th Jun 19, 11:07 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Autumn86
    To live off. As with more than 16K in the bank you will not be getting any benefits if you reduce your working hours.

Benefits are there are a safety net not because you want to save all your wages to buy a home.

Yours

Calley x
    Originally posted by calleyw

Why would I need to spend any of my savings on day-to-day living costs when my salary already more than covers them (plus leaves me with a very large spare monthly-excess of money)...

My savings are my own personal money though, not the business of the government/benefits service/or anyone else;
    And so I'm perfectly entitled to simply withdraw it all into cash, do whatever I want with that cash, for whatever reason I choose to do whatever it is that I do with it, and don't have to 'prove' to anyone what I did with it.

I am not interested in 'the moralities' of the benefits system (as moralities are irrelevant in the modern-world tbh),
    I simply am reviewing the system from a numerical and unbias perspective, to see if any decent financial opportunities could be made use of through it.
    Last edited by Autumn86; 10-06-2019 at 11:19 PM.
    • Autumn86
    • By Autumn86 10th Jun 19, 11:15 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Autumn86
    OP lives in hope that a drop in hours and house prices would suit their life. Unfortunately yes it would, but after this, I doubt they’d get a mortgaging their hoped for crash?
    Originally posted by Blackbeard of Perranporth

Why would having a spotlessly clean credit-record with zero history of ever needing to rely on loans/or getting into debt have an adverse impact on me getting a mortgage?

I had the opportunity in 2008 to withdraw around £10,500 onto cash from various credit cards, and so I chose to take that opportunity and then use the statute-barring method to get the debt written off.

But so whilst yes for 6 years (until 2014) my credit-record showed those debts,
    Since 2014 (so for over 5+ years now) my credit record has been spotless, with no trace or record of any loans or debts whatsoever.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 10th Jun 19, 11:17 PM
    • 2,252 Posts
    • 5,997 Thanks
    Loanranger
    Nope. Your savings are the business of the government, HMRC among others, and as soon as you try to claim from the taxpayer then all of your income and savings are the business of the government.
    • Autumn86
    • By Autumn86 10th Jun 19, 11:26 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Autumn86
    Nope. Your savings are the business of the government, HMRC among others, and as soon as you try to claim from the taxpayer then all of your income and savings are the business of the government.
    Originally posted by Loanranger

Yes, but I am legally perfectly entitled to spend my money however I want, as 'recklessly' as I want, and to not keep a single record or trace of that spending whilst I am not claiming any benefits...

If I choose to withdraw all my money into cash, and then to gamble all of it away (without keeping any record or trace even), well I'm perfectly entitled to do that.

And then if in the future I choose to put in a claim for benefits, well all I need to do is present the local council with a copy of my most recent bank statement showing that I have only a few £100 in there, and that's that.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Jun 19, 3:58 AM
    • 2,082 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    _shel
    Yes, but I am legally perfectly entitled to spend my money however I want, as 'recklessly' as I want, and to not keep a single record or trace of that spending whilst I am not claiming any benefits...

If I choose to withdraw all my money into cash, and then to gamble all of it away (without keeping any record or trace even), well I'm perfectly entitled to do that.

And then if in the future I choose to put in a claim for benefits, well all I need to do is present the local council with a copy of my most recent bank statement showing that I have only a few £100 in there, and that's that.
    Originally posted by Autumn86
    No actually that wouldn't be that. Once your bank statements aka more than one, are seen an the recent disappearance of a substantial amount of money is seen you are expected to prove it's not deprivation of assets. Aka receipts for essential goods or you get nothing on the basis you spent your money in order to maximise benefits.
    • Mrsn
    • By Mrsn 11th Jun 19, 5:10 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Mrsn
    You seem to have a very skewed version of how this works.... I don’t mean that to sound harsh but actually don’t think you fully understand the way you are portraying yourself.

UC will make you jump through hoops for your money, you have no genuine reason to drop your hours at work and would very much be sanctioned for doing so. If they have any reason to suspect you have deliberately deprived yourself of income and assets you will be sanctioned....

UC for us is only to help pay for childcare costs, we don’t get any other help and are under what you earn a month alone. The benefits system very much has its faults but it is designed to help those most financially vulnerable for health reasons, low incomes etc and you do not appear to fit in either of the categories
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 11th Jun 19, 6:14 AM
    • 2,064 Posts
    • 3,535 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    Try and play the system if you wish, blow all your savings, try and claim benefits and see where that gets you.

Personally, I think this thread is a wind up...well I hope so anyway.

As an oldie, it reminds me of the lyrics to Wham Rap, ... basically, live on the dole, have fun, jobs are for fools!!!

"Hey everybody take a look at me,
    I've got street credibility,
    I may not have a job,
    But I have a good time,
    With the boys that I meet "down on the line"
    I said, I, don't, need, you
    So you don't approve,
    Well who asked you to?
    Hey, jerk, you, work
    This boy's got better things to do
    Hell,
    I ain't never gonna work, get down in the dirt,
    I choose, to cruise.
    Gonna live my life, sharp as a knife,
    I've found my groove and I just can't lose.
    A.1. style from head to toe,
    Cool cat flash gonna let you know,
    I'm a soul boy, I'm a dole boy,
    Take pleasure in leisure, I believe in joy!"
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow " JOB DONE!!
    This should now read "It's time to start digging up those Squirrelled Nuts"!!!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Jun 19, 6:17 AM
    • 5,422 Posts
    • 5,018 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Personally, I think this thread is a wind up...
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    Yes, troll comes to my mind too. The OP that is.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 11th Jun 19, 7:27 AM
    • 9,156 Posts
    • 16,982 Thanks
    calleyw
    Yes, troll comes to my mind too. The OP that is.
    Originally posted by poppy12345

Or a very deluded individual.

Take your pick.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 11th Jun 19, 8:12 AM
    • 24,722 Posts
    • 13,097 Thanks
    lisyloo

No you are not.
    If you (for example) gave your home away to your son/daughter knowing you needed to claim benefits then it would be taken back.
    It called deliberate deprivation of assets.
    Of course if you’ve spent it on horses then it can’t be rolled back but your benefits could be stopped or you could be prosecuted.

There are ways of hiding cash under the mattress without it being noticed, but the typical scenario of giving a house to a son or daughter is easily traceable.

Regardless of the practicalities you are wrong.
    If you know you have a need for state benefits then you cannot deliberately deprive yourself of assets.

If you are wanting to play the system then you need to get a lot more savvy and acquaint yourself with the facts.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Jun 19, 8:29 AM
    • 9,108 Posts
    • 10,531 Thanks
    Comms69
    Why would having a spotlessly clean credit-record with zero history of ever needing to rely on loans/or getting into debt have an adverse impact on me getting a mortgage?

I had the opportunity in 2008 to withdraw around £10,500 onto cash from various credit cards, and so I chose to take that opportunity and then use the statute-barring method to get the debt written off.

But so whilst yes for 6 years (until 2014) my credit-record showed those debts,
    Since 2014 (so for over 5+ years now) my credit record has been spotless, with no trace or record of any loans or debts whatsoever.
    You're a nurse. You're suggesting something that runs close to the edge of benefit fraud. If you get found out, your job will likely end and the NMC may be involved.
    • GlasweJen
    • By GlasweJen 11th Jun 19, 8:49 AM
    • 6,869 Posts
    • 12,400 Thanks
    GlasweJen
    Don't worry, you could always go on the bank as a healthcare support worker if it all goes tits up. You'll earn much less then...
    Bounts, Quidco, Shop and Scan, Receipt Hog, Costco Cashback, Debit card cashback

NOT BUYING IT
    (unless it's on offer and can get my loyalty points)
    • Mrsn
    • By Mrsn 11th Jun 19, 10:03 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Mrsn
    Comms69 I read it that the fraud part had already happened with the withdrawal of cash on the cards and deliberately not paying them back
    • ToxicWomble
    • By ToxicWomble 11th Jun 19, 12:01 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    ToxicWomble
    The OP is just looking at a way out of paying her student loan back judging by her posting history by lowering he income below the payment threshold and then expecting someone else to fund her lifestyle
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 11th Jun 19, 12:46 PM
    • 6,988 Posts
    • 7,657 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    I think you are labouring under a misapprehension if you believe that just because your debt was statute barred it has been written off - chances are it hasn't.

Just because the bank no longer has a legally enforceable way of collecting it doesn't mean they've forgotten about it, so good luck getting a mortgage with any of the ones you've done over in the past.
    • Kentish Dave
    • By Kentish Dave 11th Jun 19, 1:33 PM
    • 411 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    Kentish Dave
    Come on guys, the op is a troll or a child, there’s no point engaging with them, they are only here to wind people up.
    • Autumn86
    • By Autumn86 11th Jun 19, 5:22 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Autumn86
    You're a nurse. You're suggesting something that runs close to the edge of benefit fraud. If you get found out, your job will likely end and the NMC may be involved.
    Originally posted by Comms69

I'm a nurse?

Not sure when I got that job, but no I'd find that job too dirty & boring, with too low authority.
    • Autumn86
    • By Autumn86 11th Jun 19, 5:24 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Autumn86
    I think you are labouring under a misapprehension if you believe that just because your debt was statute barred it has been written off - chances are it hasn't.

Just because the bank no longer has a legally enforceable way of collecting it doesn't mean they've forgotten about it, so good luck getting a mortgage with any of the ones you've done over in the past.
    Originally posted by p00hsticks

Yes I'm sure that Halifax do still hold my data on their files,
    But there are dozens of other banks & mortgage lenders apart from Halifax, and so I am not concerned in the slightest...
    • Mr Costcutter
    • By Mr Costcutter 12th Jun 19, 6:49 AM
    • 377 Posts
    • 1,084 Thanks
    Mr Costcutter

Not sure when I got that job, but no I'd find that job too dirty & boring, with too low authority.
    You obviously don't have a clue about the nursing profession either!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Jun 19, 9:16 AM
    • 4,271 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    You obviously don't have a clue about the nursing profession either!
    Originally posted by Mr Costcutter
    They're a troll, just check their other posts and then put them on ignore.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,335Posts Today

7,408Users online

Martin's Twitter