Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    • scb2503
    • By scb2503 17th Jun 19, 11:51 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Benefits paid to relative
    • #1
    • 17th Jun 19, 11:51 AM
    Benefits paid to relative 17th Jun 19 at 11:51 AM

    Does anyone have any advice or experience on how to check with DWP what benefits my elderly father is claiming / being paid. I am Power of Attorney for him.

    A trawl on the DWP website suggests contacting the benefits office but I'm finding it near impossible to find the appropriate contact number.

Page 1
    • anmarj
    • By anmarj 17th Jun 19, 12:13 PM
    • 1,685 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    • #2
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:13 PM
    • #2
    • 17th Jun 19, 12:13 PM
    0800 731 0469 - if your POA are not registered with DWP you will need to do that first before they will speak or send information out
    Parent to one

    "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 17th Jun 19, 1:03 PM
    • 30,180 Posts
    • 18,486 Thanks
    • #3
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:03 PM
    • #3
    • 17th Jun 19, 1:03 PM
    Have you checked your father's papers for his state pension update (around March this year)? If he is receiving other benefits (Attendance Allowance/PC etc), there should also be letters from DWP.

    Have you checked his bank account(s)?

    If the person you care for needs help with managing their benefit-related affairs you can apply to the Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) to become an “Appointee”.

    Please note if a Property and Financial Affairs Lasting Power of Attorney or a Court of Protection appointed Deputy is already in place the DWP will accept this instead.

    A relative of mine had PoA for his relative who was in receipt of SP and AA.

    He needed to send a certified copy ( done by his relative's solicitor) of the PoA to the DWP and to HMRC and to every financial institution with which the relative had dealings so that it could be registered in their records.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

62Posts Today

2,195Users online

Martin's Twitter