Is this genuine from bt?

Options
It looks like someone has been using your broadband to share copyrighted material (that means things like music, films, sport or books). And as your broadband provider, we have to let you know when this happens.

I received an email from bt regarding the above. I do not know whether it is genuine as Indo not download any films etc. Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 4,176 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Es they send mail like that. Do you download music?
  • onomatopoeia99
    onomatopoeia99 Posts: 6,964 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    loulou41 wrote: »
    It looks like someone has been using your broadband to share copyrighted material (that means things like music, films, sport or books). And as your broadband provider, we have to let you know when this happens.

I received an email from bt regarding the above. I do not know whether it is genuine as Indo not download any films etc. Thanks
    ISPs do send letters like that. Are you the only user of your connection? If not, have you asked the other users?
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • loulou41
    loulou41 Posts: 2,871 Forumite
    Options
    Yes and we do not download. My son comes to stay over the weekend and I have asked him and he said he did not. I will ring the free number on the email as do not want to click on any links. Thanks
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Personally, if you haven't been d/loading films illegally, I'd ignore the email. There is a possible risk that it might be the start of a blackmail type scam - don't give them the opportunity to harvest your phone number.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    loulou41 wrote: »
    Yes and we do not download. My son comes to stay over the weekend and I have asked him and he said he did not. I will ring the free number on the email as do not want to click on any links. Thanks

I've had a couple, one from Sky & one from NowTV over the years. I suspect your son is telling porkies I'm afraid.

Edit: I'm fairly sure mine actually stated what it was that was downloaded and when. Did yours not have any more detail? There's no need to get in touch with them BTW.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    Try your BT Help Pages >> members community forum for guidance .
  • oldagetraveller
    oldagetraveller Posts: 3,653 Forumite
    Options
    "My son comes to stay over the weekend and I have asked him and he said he did not."
    Might I respectfully suggest - he would say that anyway.:)
  • loulou41
    Options
    I have just phoned bt and was told it is a scam. Do not click on any link and to delete it. The email looks genuine with free number etc and was assured it was a scam.
  • loulou41
    Options
    I've had a couple, one from Sky & one from NowTV over the years. I suspect your son is telling porkies I'm afraid.

Edit: I'm fairly sure mine actually stated what it was that was downloaded and when. Did yours not have any more detail? There's no need to get in touch with them BTW.

It was a Sunday at 2 am on the 12th and title it says to click on link to find out for more details.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    Options
    <it says to click on link to find out for more>>
    Thats always the give away clink link open doc etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income