PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The "have a look at this!" thread II

Options

Comments

• NaughtiusMaximus
    Options
    A listing of many contradictions:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67792868.html

That's quite a lot of house and land (18 acres/7.2 hectares!) for your large slab of wonga.

But there's something unremittingly grim about the place - for example, the cloakroom with its wonky wooden toilet seat and crappy tiles, and that awful shaker-style kitchen, and the relentless torrent of beige that permeates the whole house.

Also, if I ever put a property on the market for a million pounds, I'm going to have the pictures taken by someone who isn't my dog using something that isn't a potato.

The description of the age of the property as 'late 20th century' as opposed to 1970s or 1980s sounds a little odd and out of place too. Usually you only see such vague age ranges on properties over 100 years old.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • datlex
    datlex Posts: 2,239 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

That's quite a lot of house and land (18 acres/7.2 hectares!) for your large slab of wonga.

But there's something unremittingly grim about the place - for example, the cloakroom with its wonky wooden toilet seat and crappy tiles, and that awful shaker-style kitchen, and the relentless torrent of beige that permeates the whole house.

Also, if I ever put a property on the market for a million pounds, I'm going to have the pictures taken by someone who isn't my dog using something that isn't a potato.
    Not only that it is very expensive for the local area. Saltburn is just up the road from Redcar, former British Steel/ SSI effected region. I think they would struggle to sell.
    Paid off the last of my unsecured debts in 2016. Then saved up and bought a property. Current aim is to pay off my mortgage as early as possible. Currently over paying every month. Mortgage due to be paid off in 2036 hoping to get it paid off much earlier. Set up my own bespoke spreadsheet to manage my money.
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    But there's something unremittingly grim about the place

Like the conservatory that's reminiscent of a prison exercise yard
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 October 2018 at 9:39AM
    Options
    datlex wrote: »
    Not only that it is very expensive for the local area. Saltburn is just up the road from Redcar, former British Steel/ SSI effected region. I think they would struggle to sell.

Yes but its also only a spit from the North Yorkshire Heritage Coastline and is very popular with visitors. Its a lot of land so I would agree the place has potential even if the house itself is grim. A developer wouldn't want the house anyway (except as a site office). I'd say it was (subject to planning) ideal housing development land - this listing isn't about the house, its about the location and land.
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

That carpet, just why?

It has an air of a 1980's B&B throughout the downstairs.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • ancientofdays
    Options
    It is, indeed, a truly horrible carpet. Perhaps it is such good condition despite the horribleness, that they just can't bear to replace it and are moving to get away from it.
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
  • hedgewitchery
    Options
    Thought this place seemed cheap for a 2 bedroom until I looked at the floorplan...

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76141226.html

Bizarre - almost seems designed to make the worst possible use of the available space...
  • quantumlobster
    Options
    Thought this place seemed cheap for a 2 bedroom until I looked at the floorplan...

rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-76141226.html

Bizarre - almost seems designed to make the worst possible use of the available space...
    That kitchen is insane. How do you even get the appliances in, never mind use them?
  • hedgewitchery
    Options
    Good point - think you'd be looking at dismantling the whole kitchen if/when the cooker or washing machine goes. I was more concerned about getting into it in the first place as someone who is a little, *ahem*, bottom-heavy...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure