Noisy Neighbour - Not sure of next steps

Comments

• Jimmy_Boy
    Jimmy_Boy Posts: 269 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    ajs88 wrote: »
    *Be aware that if you sell legally you have to declare that you have reported your neighbours for noise issues or you could be sued for costs incurred including hotels/rent and loss on sale.

This is what gets me, it's like a double-whammy. Does this also apply if I was to rent the property ?
  • My problem is very similar to yours in many details: "Noise is not loud enough" or it is not a nuisance (not sure what their definition is but it is very annoying to me and therefore a nuisance). Council can't force my neighbor to lay the carpet despite of the fact that the tenancy agreement states:
    "You must put down a suitable floor covering, with adequate underlay or insulation underneath it, to make sure that any noise, including normal day-today noise, could not and does not cause a nuisance to your neighbors". It does not say "lay the carpets" but talks about "underlay". They told me that that the judge will need the evidence of the "noise nuisance" like is is not enough that during the testing of floor upstairs we could hear the housing officer stamping and dropping mobile phone on the floor with the bang. Not enough evidence that "normal living noise IS transmitting"? This is where I am today - thinking how can I make the council to enforce their own legal agreement!
    Any progress with your case since July?
  • Jimmy_Boy
    Any progress with your case since July?

It's super frustrating, isn't it? There's very little concern from any official authority, but it's slowly drove me mental!!

Progress has been made in my case as I have managed to get my upstairs neighbour to finally work with me.

I have paid for underlay and carpet to be fitted in the upstairs flat at a cost of approx £400. The super annoying thing was, about 30 minutes after the carpet fitter had finished, I heard the noise again that really bothers me!! All this time, one of the biggest problems has been knowing what was making the noisy that truly bothers me. I know the noises I hear, but hard to know exactly what it was that was causing the noise.

The noise that has been really bothering me is the woman putting cutlery and crockery on the kitchen worktop, she really slams cups and bowls onto the worktop, and it sounds louder for me downstairs than it does to her upstairs. The main issue is, she makes a lot of drinks, and she does this throughout the night. Anyway, I purchased some silicon matts to put on her worktops, put some rubber blocks underneath the legs of all the kitchen units, and also underlay under the kitchen units too. Also fitted soft closers to all her kitchen units! I now have a much quieter upstairs neighbour! But its cost me about £450 in total.

Unfortunately, thats not the end of the story. I am also hearing noises from my next door neighbour (shouting, tv, music, knocks, bangs etc...). Sound is difficult to determine exactly where its coming from, I have previously attributed 95% of the noise being her upstairs, but now its quiet upstairs (mostly) I realise that probably 20-30% of the noise I have been hearing has been from next door. So, now I'm looking at soundproofing the wall which is going to cost about £1,000.

One of the problems is, I have been dealing with this for so long now that I am without doubt super sensitive to noises now :( and wonder if I will ever be able to get comfortable and relax in my home.

I hope you can find some resolution to your problem, as I know how much it can mentally affect you. When you describe it in words its hard to convey how much it affects you, and it can also sound petty, but nonetheless it can really get to you.

Good luck and hope you keep well.
  • AnnikaBengzon
    AnnikaBengzon Posts: 27 Forumite
    edited 8 October 2018 at 1:42PM
    Thank you very much for your reply, Jimmy. I agree with you that no one would understand you better then the person in the same situation. Yes, you quickly become an "active listener" reacting to everything! I found your detailed account very helpful as I am trying to decide how to proceed in my case.
    Can you say that installing the carpet with the underlay made a lots of difference? Do you still hear them stomping, banging and dropping things (this is what my NNs do)? Did it eliminate this type of noise completely or just maffled the sounds? Please let me know the type of the product you used for the underlay.
    My upstairs neighbours have a thin carpet (not fitted, laid like a rug) without underlay which is very close to having nothing but this is enough for the council to say that they "have taken the steps to provide an adequate flooring" and cannot be forced to lay the carpet with the underlay despite of the fact that the tenancy agreement mentions "underlay or insulation". Offering to buy the underlay to use under the existing old and dirty looking carpet might be an option for me. I really don't wish to "award" them with the brand new carpet as well!
    Moving out is not much of the option for me. Council will not provide the transfer (I am their tenant) in this situation. I also spent a hell a lots of money to turn the run down flat into very nice home. Finding the swap is hard for many reasons: my flat is in a tower block and I need to be very careful about what to choose and not to put myself potentially into the same situation, etc..
  • Jimmy_Boy
    Hey AnnikaBengzon,

This is the carpet I purchased:
    https://www.flooringsuperstore.com/royale-saxony-pancake.html

This is the underlay I purchased:
    https://www.flooringsuperstore.com/high-density-9mm.html

I chose that particular underlay as it had (from what I could see) the best noise reduction to cost ratio.

How much difference has it made? Its really difficult to say with 100% confidence. As I previously stated, the noise that was really bothering me was the slamming stuff on the kitchen worktop, but I didn't discover this until AFTER fitting the carpet. I'm sure I was hearing other things like items dropping on the floor and heavy footsteps, but its difficult for me to know exactly what was making what noises.

What I can tell you is, my neighbours entrance is by stairs on the side of my flat, and the initial 2 foot or so of entrance to their flat is not carpeted. I can hear people walk up the stairs and through the door and the 2 foot uncarpeted, but then I don't hear anything. It has made night and day difference with people up their wearing heeled shoes, that used to drive me crazy.

I would say it has stopped 90% - 95% of 'foot traffic', however... I have heard the odd 'thud' now and then. For example her smoke alarm went off the other night and she must of jumped off the sofa and run to the smoke alarm, I heard that. I think this is mainly due to the construction of the property... as this is the sound still penetrating through the foundations of the building. So, depending exactly on what type of noise you are experiencing, your mileage may vary. If your neighbour was upstairs jumping up and down, or has kids carelessly running around, I would imagine you're still going to hear some of this (unfortunately), but if it is just 'normal' walking, or dropping items on the floor then I would say it would help quite significantly.

My mindset at the end of the day was... yes its going to cost me ~£400, but its a small price to pay if helps save what sanity I have left.

If you want to know anything else, just let me know, happy to help.

All the best.
  • Jimmy_Boy wrote: »
    Hey AnnikaBengzon,

I chose that particular underlay as it had (from what I could see) the best noise reduction to cost ratio.

How much difference has it made? Its really difficult to say with 100% confidence. As I previously stated, the noise that was really bothering me was the slamming stuff on the kitchen worktop, but I didn't discover this until AFTER fitting the carpet. I'm sure I was hearing other things like items dropping on the floor and heavy footsteps, but its difficult for me to know exactly what was making what noises.

What I can tell you is, my neighbours entrance is by stairs on the side of my flat, and the initial 2 foot or so of entrance to their flat is not carpeted. I can hear people walk up the stairs and through the door and the 2 foot uncarpeted, but then I don't hear anything. It has made night and day difference with people up their wearing heeled shoes, that used to drive me crazy.

I would say it has stopped 90% - 95% of 'foot traffic', however... I have heard the odd 'thud' now and then. For example her smoke alarm went off the other night and she must of jumped off the sofa and run to the smoke alarm, I heard that. I think this is mainly due to the construction of the property... as this is the sound still penetrating through the foundations of the building. So, depending exactly on what type of noise you are experiencing, your mileage may vary. If your neighbour was upstairs jumping up and down, or has kids carelessly running around, I would imagine you're still going to hear some of this (unfortunately), but if it is just 'normal' walking, or dropping items on the floor then I would say it would help quite significantly.

My mindset at the end of the day was... yes its going to cost me ~£400, but its a small price to pay if helps save what sanity I have left.

All the best.
    Thank you!
  • Jimmy_Boy wrote: »
    Hey AnnikaBengzon,

All the best.
    Thank you! :)
  • Countfox
    Countfox Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 15 October 2018 at 2:28PM
    Jimmy_Boy, your experience...sounds similar to mine:

My fight...against my local Authority & the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO). They’re not independent of each other...

The following is my experience with my local Authority and the LGO, regarding House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), (to which I’m sure you will find shocking). But, MPs & Councillors don’t care... and none of the tabloids won’t print my story, nor even part of it.

I’m suffering because of HMO neighbour noise and my local Council and the LGO. My treatment from Stevenage Borough Council’s Environmental Department & the LGO has been unfair, unjust and appalling! Moreover, they have violated my human and civil rights.

I'm a 71-year-old male and been fighting with neighbour HMO property owner/Stevenage Borough Council & the Local Government Ombudsman for Justice and my (basic) human rights since November 2015. It is regarding (5) heavy hydraulic-spring fire doors and (1) extra main entrance/door fitted in a prefabricated, sub-standard 3-bedroom house built in 1960 that I believe is not suitable for HMO/heavy fire doors. Two of these doors – (1 fire door and the extra main entrance/door) fitted only 1 meter away from the very thin party wall that divides us. The council's Environmental Health officer did a biased, covered up, flawed investigation of the fire doors noise. Because I knew the outcome and decision of the investigation were biased/flawed (in favour of the HMO property owner), I then escalated my complaint to council’s stages 1, 2 & 3 investigations, where officer's manager supported the officer.

At the early stage of the investigation, I believed the officer was also being spiteful towards me because I complained about her not taking my complaint seriously, not carrying out the noise investigation quickly, and the biased way in which she was handling the investigation. Therefore, I requested a different officer to carry out the investigation because I did not trust the appointed officer to come to the right decision - because of her words...attitude...and lack of importance of dealing with my complaint, but my request was refused. It has now proven my fears were right because the officer did exactly as I thought - covered up all aspects of the noise investigation.

Subsequently, I went on the local Radio Station to air my problem and frustration regarding the HMO and the Council's EH Officer’s attitude towards the investigation. Furthermore, because of a statement made in a letter from the Council, I believe they wilfully refused to tackle noise. Moreover, my own knowledge, and understanding from another HMO source…the council will cover up any noise and would not do anything because they benefit from HMOs because HMOs are the new form council houses/tenants to justify the lack of proper council accommodations not being built - hence the cover-up.

The Council/EH officer informed me; 1st recording of noise too quiet and not admissible. Therefore, I requested a 2nd recording (that would have been recorded louder) but the officer and her manager claimed the recorder broke down. Subsequently, after officer listened to noises physically…the officer claimed; noise not statutory nor loud, and do not see why Council or HMO property owner should spend money to fix noise because of officer professionalism, expertise and hearing…noises not statutory nor loud.

I am amazed that this so-called EH officer (“supposedly” an expert in ordinary domestic noise and fire doors noises, just by listening to them), did not know how I can hear fire doors noises on the first-floor hallway and bedrooms of my house, coming from the ground floor in HMO neighbour’s house. But yet this officer is an expert and a professional according to the Council. How can that be??? However, when she had physically listened to noises from my first floor, she definitely heard them for herself! Moreover, there are other aspects of officer’s professionalism and expertise that is questionable, because of other comments...she made to me. In addition, there was no recording to substantiate officer and her manager claims; that noise is not statutory nor loud.

I also learnt from an AV Engineer and an Acoustical Investigation & Research Organisation, that the Council recording equipment was not suitable to record fire doors’ noise (that sounds like Sonic Booms). In addition, according to the officer’s colleague (the recording engineer), they have never in history recorded fire doors’ noise before and that I was the first. These noises are so loud and heavy (even when wearing Headphones or Ear Defenders) they sometimes vibrate the Party Wall and can be heard ‘loudly’ in all my rooms (with all room’s doors closed) over the entirety of my 'large' 3-bedroom house; but yet, this officer claimed noises are not loud. Lies!!! Moreover, I asked officer; can you live here, or in your own house with that level of noise coming from your next-door neighbour you are expecting me to live with? The officer refused to answer. In addition, I also believe my 6 weeks’ diary recordings were ignored.

The officer assured me that she will ask the property owner to adjust closures on all fire doors and will return in a week to see if property owner complied. However, a letter from her manager stated; she asked the property owner to adjust ‘only some’ of them and had returned to the property to check owner had complied and noise has been stopped. Officer claimed, noise been “significantly” reduced, but the officer did not return to my own property to substantiate this. Furthermore, I believe that the officer did not return to HMO landlord’s property, either, to recheck doors’ noise because I was at home all that day she supposed to have returned and I did not hear any testing of doors as previously, because, the noises still remain. As you can see, the officer did not keep her promise to have all fire doors adjusted. Is this not shocking, for a trustworthy officer?

I again complained to the council that the officer did not return to my property to substantiate fire doors noise were reduced and can still be heard ‘loudly’. The council responded; it was not the council’s responsibility to get noise sorted, and the HMO landlord was only doing me a favour to adjust fire doors to make them close quietly. So, as you can see, the council’s attitude and action were not only irresponsible but also biased! In addition, from my experience of the biased way and attitude for a council officer to have acted in the way she did, I will not rule out the possibility of discrimination; because if the officer/council supposed to be all above board with its investigations, I cannot see any other way how a supposedly “professional” council officer would have lied and covered up a CRUCIAL noise investigation like that! Unless covering up noise investigations is a standard thing the council/officers does in order not to spend money to solve residence noise complaints.

Subsequently, I escalated my complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman regarding the council’s failure and negligence of not dealing honestly with the HMO fire doors noise situation. However, my experience...have shown me; the LGO could not be an independent organisation, as claimed... They seemed to act as the council's Lawyer in the way in which they agreed and defended them, 100% throughout their ‘biased’ investigation.

I am shocked and very disappointed with both Council/LGO (biased and unfair) investigations outcome, and I am still suffering from stress, depression and anxiety; and been hospitalised for 3 days with high blood pressure and a mild stroke, all because the council forced this HMO situation upon me. It is as though they have put a loaded gun to my head and waiting for me to pull the trigger - to which I understand, and it is my belief; they will be happy for me to do.

It seems the whole system is stacked against us 'Mere Mortals' - people like me, and others in similar situations, there is no justice for us, and nothing we can do about it! The councils and the LGO can do as they please and get away with it because they know we are helpless against them! Moreover, the fact that they breach our Human Rights do not matter to them. They like to talk Human Rights, but in practice, they ignore it when it comes to their unjust, unfair and inhumane acts.

The LGO investigator final decision wasn't any different from their draft decision...in spite of all my evidence I submitted in support of my complaint; they were ignored because investigator already made her mind up with her draft decision to defend and support the council - even with the lies. Moreover, the LGO investigator treated me with contempt too - by not contacting me for evidence to support my complaint before she started the investigation against the council. In addition, when the investigation had finished, the LGO officer did not contact/inform me.

I informed the council and the LGO regarding the non-suitability of the property for HMO purpose (which the council already knew about) but neither the council nor LGO did not accept it in support of my complaint. The council is at present renovating these same (prefabricated, no soundproofing, sub-standard) styles of houses (that are still council own) to meet the proper environmental standard. See pictures attached...of similar (black) house like mine and (white) house recently been renovated by the council. This proves that these properties are substandard as they are not suitable for the installation of heavy (hydraulic-spring) fire doors.

The LGO informed me that the only way I can challenge its decision is in the High Court, and if I lose, they will take me for what I have got! Why should I have to stand the expense to take Council/LGO to court, when it is their own wilful act and maladministration/cover-up that is causing my situation and suffering - to which they know they are guilty! In addition, with no legal aid and the cheapest solicitor fees at £500 for ½ hr consultation and £250 p/hr in court. How am I going to afford that on my pension? Alternatively, I would have to sell my property to pay for the court proceeding. However, there is another problem right there; I am unable to sell my property because of the (still) fire doors noise.

I have a copy of a letter from my GP regarding my health and the effect the noise is having on me, which I delivered to the council's chief executive, but of course, it was ignored. In addition, my GP also referred me to the well-being service, and as a result, I have been referred for counselling. In addition, I have also contacted the Samaritans as I've been feeling suicidal.

I am sure you and anyone else who reads about my experience will see that the whole affair between HMO/Council and the LGO is political…, profiteering, saving money, and ‘definitely’ a conspiracy! Before the HMO moved in, I had my property on the market for sale because I wanted to downsize. However, when the HMO moved in, I had to take it off the market because of the extent and severity of noise.

Now all the investigation has failed me, I have no alternative left now than to put it back on the market hoping I can sell it. However, I am struggling to sell, because, there are questions being asked by buyers regarding the legitimacy of a substandard letter from the council to support their claim, that noise is reduced "significantly"/noise not statutory nor loud. Lies!!! However, the letter was written in a way…only to cover the council, because the additional statement I asked to be included in the letter to give buyers the confidence and assurance that the noise was reduced were omitted. Therefore, because the Council/LGO did not do anything positive to stop the noise, it looks as though I will be unable to sell my property also.

Now, the EH officer claim noise not statutory nor loud, LGO covered and supported the council 100% (where I did not matter). Moreover, I am unable to sell my house, even to get away from the fire doors noise; because it seems it is the only way I am going to get away from this HMO (5+) fire doors noises. Even the (same) Council will not buy my house to house their own tenant/s.

I already contacted the Samaritans and sought counselling, but they are unable to help me, apart from trying to persuade me from taking my life.

A damning report on the Parliamentary Website regarding local councils and the LGO illegal collaborations when dealing with complaints against local councils came to my attention after drafting this report, which I found to be true due to my own experience. They operate the most perverse and publicly criticised system of administrative justice in the world! Therefore, this is why I did not stand a chance in hell against Stevenage Borough Council! It seemed these practices have been going on for a very long time, and no matter whichever political party is in power, they are all in it together. And it is obvious that none of them is going to do anything to help me nor stop these practices to give us ‘Mere Mortals’ a chance of winning against councils for their crooked ways and maladministration!

Furthermore, if the LGO is supposed to be an independent organisation - separate from the councils, shouldn’t they have carried out their own ‘practical’ investigation of the council – like their own recording equipment, etc.? This also shows; the LGO is wholly in support of the councils, whether right or wrong.

The entire thing regarding Council's regulations is neither here nor there! It seems that there is Council HMO fire doors regulation to protect the tenants from fire. In addition, there supposed to be noise regulation to protect me from noise. However, as one can see, when it comes to HMO/fire doors noise, these regulations are upheld. But, whenever it comes to the regulation for my protection from these fire doors noises, I do not matter!

I know my MP and Councillor/s have the powers to act and can take 'positive' action to get me out of this situation that Stevenage Borough Council has inflicted upon me. But they all washed their hands, passed the buck and chose not to do anything!

I recently had to vacate the bedroom/study nearest the party wall, because of the noises which also includes playing of loud music - so loud...I wouldn’t have survived with that level of noise if I’d stayed in that room.
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Countfox wrote: »
    Jimmy_Boy, your experience...sounds similar to mine:

My fight...against my local Authority & the Local Government Ombudsman (LGO). They’re not independent of each other...

The following is my experience with my local Authority and the LGO, regarding House in Multiple Occupation (HMO), (to which I’m sure you will find shocking). But, MPs & Councillors don’t care... and none of the tabloids won’t print my story, nor even part of it.
    I’m suffering because of HMO neighbour noise and my local Council and the LGO. My treatment from Stevenage Borough Council’s Environmental Department & the LGO has been unfair, unjust and appalling! Moreover, they have violated my human and civil rights.

I'm a 71-year-old male and been fighting with neighbour HMO property owner/Stevenage Borough Council & the Local Government Ombudsman for Justice and my (basic) human rights since November 2015. It is regarding (5) heavy hydraulic-spring fire doors and (1) extra main entrance/door fitted in a prefabricated, sub-standard 3-bedroom house built in 1960 that I believe is not suitable for HMO/heavy fire doors. Two of these doors – (1 fire door and the extra main entrance/door) fitted only 1 meter away from the very thin party wall that divides us. The council's Environmental Health officer did a biased, covered up, flawed investigation of the fire doors noise. Because I knew the outcome and decision of the investigation were biased/flawed (in favour of the HMO property owner), I then escalated my complaint to council’s stages 1, 2 & 3 investigations, where officer's manager supported the officer.

At the early stage of the investigation, I believed the officer was also being spiteful towards me because I complained about her not taking my complaint seriously, not carrying out the noise investigation quickly, and the biased way in which she was handling the investigation. Therefore, I requested a different officer to carry out the investigation because I did not trust the appointed officer to come to the right decision - because of her words...attitude...and lack of importance of dealing with my complaint, but my request was refused. It has now proven my fears were right because the officer did exactly as I thought - covered up all aspects of the noise investigation.

Subsequently, I went on the local Radio Station to air my problem and frustration regarding the HMO and the Council's EH Officer’s attitude towards the investigation. Furthermore, because of a statement made in a letter from the Council, I believe they wilfully refused to tackle noise. Moreover, my own knowledge, and understanding from another HMO source…the council will cover up any noise and would not do anything because they benefit from HMOs because HMOs are the new form council houses/tenants to justify the lack of proper council accommodations not being built - hence the cover-up.
    The Council/EH officer informed me; 1st recording of noise too quiet and not admissible. Therefore, I requested a 2nd recording (that would have been recorded louder) but the officer and her manager claimed the recorder broke down. Subsequently, after officer listened to noises physically…the officer claimed; noise not statutory nor loud, and do not see why Council or HMO property owner should spend money to fix noise because of officer professionalism, expertise and hearing…noises not statutory nor loud.

I am amazed that this so-called EH officer (“supposedly” an expert in ordinary domestic noise and fire doors noises, just by listening to them), did not know how I can hear fire doors noises on the first-floor hallway and bedrooms of my house, coming from the ground floor in HMO neighbour’s house. But yet this officer is an expert and a professional according to the Council. How can that be??? However, when she had physically listened to noises from my first floor, she definitely heard them for herself! Moreover, there are other aspects of officer’s professionalism and expertise that is questionable, because of other comments...she made to me. In addition, there was no recording to substantiate officer and her manager claims; that noise is not statutory nor loud.

I also learnt from an AV Engineer and an Acoustical Investigation & Research Organisation, that the Council recording equipment was not suitable to record fire doors’ noise (that sounds like Sonic Booms). In addition, according to the officer’s colleague (the recording engineer), they have never in history recorded fire doors’ noise before and that I was the first. These noises are so loud and heavy (even when wearing Headphones or Ear Defenders) they sometimes vibrate the Party Wall and can be heard ‘loudly’ in all my rooms (with all room’s doors closed) over the entirety of my 'large' 3-bedroom house; but yet, this officer claimed noises are not loud. Lies!!! Moreover, I asked officer; can you live here, or in your own house with that level of noise coming from your next-door neighbour you are expecting me to live with? The officer refused to answer. In addition, I also believe my 6 weeks’ diary recordings were ignored.

The officer assured me that she will ask the property owner to adjust closures on all fire doors and will return in a week to see if property owner complied. However, a letter from her manager stated; she asked the property owner to adjust ‘only some’ of them and had returned to the property to check owner had complied and noise has been stopped. Officer claimed, noise been “significantly” reduced, but the officer did not return to my own property to substantiate this. Furthermore, I believe that the officer did not return to HMO landlord’s property, either, to recheck doors’ noise because I was at home all that day she supposed to have returned and I did not hear any testing of doors as previously, because, the noises still remain. As you can see, the officer did not keep her promise to have all fire doors adjusted. Is this not shocking, for a trustworthy officer?

I again complained to the council that the officer did not return to my property to substantiate fire doors noise were reduced and can still be heard ‘loudly’. The council responded; it was not the council’s responsibility to get noise sorted, and the HMO landlord was only doing me a favour to adjust fire doors to make them close quietly. So, as you can see, the council’s attitude and action were not only irresponsible but also biased! In addition, from my experience of the biased way and attitude for a council officer to have acted in the way she did, I will not rule out the possibility of discrimination; because if the officer/council supposed to be all above board with its investigations, I cannot see any other way how a supposedly “professional” council officer would have lied and covered up a CRUCIAL noise investigation like that! Unless covering up noise investigations is a standard thing the council/officers does in order not to spend money to solve residence noise complaints.

Subsequently, I escalated my complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman regarding the council’s failure and negligence of not dealing honestly with the HMO fire doors noise situation. However, my experience...have shown me; the LGO could not be an independent organisation, as claimed... They seemed to act as the council's Lawyer in the way in which they agreed and defended them, 100% throughout their ‘biased’ investigation.

I am shocked and very disappointed with both Council/LGO (biased and unfair) investigations outcome, and I am still suffering from stress, depression and anxiety; and been hospitalised for 3 days with high blood pressure and a mild stroke, all because the council forced this HMO situation upon me. It is as though they have put a loaded gun to my head and waiting for me to pull the trigger - to which I understand, and it is my belief; they will be happy for me to do.

It seems the whole system is stacked against us 'Mere Mortals' - people like me, and others in similar situations, there is no justice for us, and nothing we can do about it! The councils and the LGO can do as they please and get away with it because they know we are helpless against them! Moreover, the fact that they breach our Human Rights do not matter to them. They like to talk Human Rights, but in practice, they ignore it when it comes to their unjust, unfair and inhumane acts.

The LGO investigator final decision wasn't any different from their draft decision...in spite of all my evidence I submitted in support of my complaint; they were ignored because investigator already made her mind up with her draft decision to defend and support the council - even with the lies. Moreover, the LGO investigator treated me with contempt too - by not contacting me for evidence to support my complaint before she started the investigation against the council. In addition, when the investigation had finished, the LGO officer did not contact/inform me.

I informed the council and the LGO regarding the non-suitability of the property for HMO purpose (which the council already knew about) but neither the council nor LGO did not accept it in support of my complaint. The council is at present renovating these same (prefabricated, no soundproofing, sub-standard) styles of houses (that are still council own) to meet the proper environmental standard. See pictures attached...of similar (black) house like mine and (white) house recently been renovated by the council. This proves that these properties are substandard as they are not suitable for the installation of heavy (hydraulic-spring) fire doors.

The LGO informed me that the only way I can challenge its decision is in the High Court, and if I lose, they will take me for what I have got! Why should I have to stand the expense to take Council/LGO to court, when it is their own wilful act and maladministration/cover-up that is causing my situation and suffering - to which they know they are guilty! In addition, with no legal aid and the cheapest solicitor fees at £500 for ½ hr consultation and £250 p/hr in court. How am I going to afford that on my pension? Alternatively, I would have to sell my property to pay for the court proceeding. However, there is another problem right there; I am unable to sell my property because of the (still) fire doors noise.

I have a copy of a letter from my GP regarding my health and the effect the noise is having on me, which I delivered to the council's chief executive, but of course, it was ignored. In addition, my GP also referred me to the well-being service, and as a result, I have been referred for counselling. In addition, I have also contacted the Samaritans as I've been feeling suicidal.
    I am sure you and anyone else who reads about my experience will see that the whole affair between HMO/Council and the LGO is political…, profiteering, saving money, and ‘definitely’ a conspiracy! Before the HMO moved in, I had my property on the market for sale because I wanted to downsize. However, when the HMO moved in, I had to take it off the market because of the extent and severity of noise.

Now all the investigation has failed me, I have no alternative left now than to put it back on the market hoping I can sell it. However, I am struggling to sell, because, there are questions being asked by buyers regarding the legitimacy of a substandard letter from the council to support their claim, that noise is reduced "significantly"/noise not statutory nor loud. Lies!!! However, the letter was written in a way…only to cover the council, because the additional statement I asked to be included in the letter to give buyers the confidence and assurance that the noise was reduced were omitted. Therefore, because the Council/LGO did not do anything positive to stop the noise, it looks as though I will be unable to sell my property also.

Now, the EH officer claim noise not statutory nor loud, LGO covered and supported the council 100% (where I did not matter). Moreover, I am unable to sell my house, even to get away from the fire doors noise; because it seems it is the only way I am going to get away from this HMO (5+) fire doors noises. Even the (same) Council will not buy my house to house their own tenant/s.
    I already contacted the Samaritans and sought counselling, but they are unable to help me, apart from trying to persuade me from taking my life.
    A damning report regarding Councils and the LGO came to my attention after drafting this report. Therefore, this is why I did not stand a chance in hell against Stevenage Borough Council! It seemed these practices have been going on for a very long time, and no matter whichever political party is in power, they are all in it together. And it is obvious that none of them is going to do anything to help me nor stop these practices to give us ‘Mere Mortals’ a chance of winning against councils for their crooked ways and maladministration!
    Furthermore, if the LGO is supposed to be an independent organisation - separate from the councils, shouldn’t they have carried out their own ‘practical’ investigation of the council – like their own recording equipment, etc.? This also shows; the LGO is wholly in support of the councils, whether right or wrong.

The entire thing regarding Council's regulations is neither here nor there! It seems that there is Council HMO fire doors regulation to protect the tenants from fire. In addition, there supposed to be noise regulation to protect me from noise. However, as one can see, when it comes to HMO/fire doors noise, these regulations are upheld. But, whenever it comes to the regulation for my protection from these fire doors noises, I do not matter!
    I know my MP and Councillor/s have the powers to act and can take 'positive' action to get me out of this situation that Stevenage Borough Council has inflicted upon me. But they all washed their hands, passed the buck and chose not to do anything!

I recently had to vacate the bedroom/study nearest the party wall, because of the noises which also includes playing of loud music - so loud...I wouldn’t have survived with that level of noise if I’d stayed in that room.

HMOs are neither new, nor related to the council.

HMOs are a classification of housing, which has recently changed.

In essence it is where a property is rented out 'by the room' in most cases. HMOs have for years required additional fire safety measures.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Countfox wrote: »
    It seems that there is Council HMO fire doors regulation to protect the tenants from fire. In addition, there supposed to be noise regulation to protect me from noise. However, as one can see, when it comes to HMO/fire doors noise, these regulations are upheld. But, whenever it comes to the regulation for my protection from these fire doors noises, I do not matter!
    It is ridiculous that fire doors aren't fitted with noise dampers as standard. Clearly the people who make decisions have never had to live with relentlessly banging fire doors.

Fire regulations are part of the housing act with the local council responsible for enforcing them.
    https://www.rla.org.uk/docs/LACORSFSguideApril62009.PDF

https://www.safelincs-forum.co.uk/topic/4290-noisy-door-closer-slamming-with-a-bang/
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback