PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2012 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I've got to add another spend today which will take me up to £105 but that includes lots of meals in the freezer already and DR sausages coming on Saturday so we should be ok.
    I had the oven on for some sausages for dinner so I made some flapjacks to use the oven so Flo wouldn't tell me off :rotfl: I put some chocolate chips in but they melted - I was disappointed till I tried one just now - they're way too nice to be good for me!
    Leftovers tomorrow as DD working late
  • MrsCD
    MrsCD Posts: 1,791 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Xmas Saver!
    edited 11 June 2012 at 9:12PM
    cleggie wrote: »
    Hey guys :)

I have a load of bacon to use up, so am wondering what you would use it for (to go into main meals for dinner)?
    The only thing i can think of is carbonara, but we all hate carbonara! Any ideas?

You could make Pan Haggerty - it's sliced potatoes, onions and bacon all layered in a dish with some veg stock and cooked in the oven until soft. There are lots of regional variations of this.
    Or you could make some broth with whatever veg you have, chopped bacon, veg stock and barley, lentils, peas etc. - just whatever you have that will go mushy to make a thick broth :)

I thought I was going to have a NSD today, but I went with DD2 to MrA's and I bought some ice cream and scampi for DH. Will update sig after I've done the 'proper' weekly shop tomorrow!
    2024 Fashion on the ration 32/66 used
  • debbiedeejay
    debbiedeejay Posts: 504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Little spend of £3.50 on garlic pizza bread and bacon yesterday. Both now eaten,bacon stretching over three meals x two people so not too bad,although really should not have bought them but they helped to make quick meals.

TTFN
    Crazy Clothes Challenge 2012 £57.20/£100,CCC 2013 £68.67/£100 ,CCC 2014 £94.32/£100
    *Frugal Living Challenge 2012, 2013, 2014*
    GC 2014 Jan £154.14/£180;Feb £103.49/£180;Mar 117.63/£160
  • An old recipe that has been passed from my Grandma is Bacon Hot pot. It’s a quick, cheep and easy meal. It is scrumptious

You will need

1 Onion - Chopped

Potatoes – Sliced in to disks

Bacon (fat not removed as this adds flavour to stock)

Salt and (white) pepper

Method

· Fry onion and bacon in a deep frying pan

· Remove bacon and keep warm

· Put potatoes layered in pan followed with salt and pepper ( I like lots of white pepper)

· Continue layering potatoes and S&P

· Put bacon on top

· Add water and bring to the boil – cover top of pan with lid leaving a large area for steam to escape so liquid can thicken

· Serve with cooked frozen peas and buttered bread

Variation

Instead of salt and pepper add a stock cube

This is one of my family favorates - kids love it

Enjoy
    MrsCD wrote: »
    You could make Pan Haggerty - it's sliced potatoes, onions and bacon all layered in a dish with some veg stock and cooked in the oven until soft. There are lots of regional variations of this.
    Or you could make some broth with whatever veg you have, chopped bacon, veg stock and barley, lentils, peas etc. - just whatever you have that will go mushy to make a thick broth :)

I thought I was going to have a NSD today, but I went with DD2 to MrA's and I bought some ice cream and scampi for DH. Will update sig after I've done the 'proper' weekly shop tomorrow!

My mum used to make this all the time when I was growing up; my grandad was Welsh and I think it was a Welsh version although we always just called it 5 minute potatoes - but it was basically the same as Purpleshelia's recipe.

I make it now for my LO's and it's always clean plates and full tummy's, even the fussy DH loves it.
  • Aldahbra
    Aldahbra Posts: 317 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    mrsplymdaz wrote: »
    Hi,

As far as I'm aware the calcium content is the same for different dilutions of milk, so FF has the same calcium as Sk, only the fat content is reduced.

XK :)

Yes, it is true for skimmed/semi/whole but it won't stay the same if you add water to it, the content of calcium per pint will drop.
    "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence."
    ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
    Weight loss challenge:j: week 1 :(
    target 8lbs in 4 weeks
    Grocery Challenge June: £100/£500
    left to spend £400
    Declutter June: 0/100
    NSD 6 June/6 July: 0/2
  • sonastin
    sonastin Posts: 3,210 Forumite
    I am just getting into Moroccan flavours, can I ask what sauce you got?

I think there are probably too many ingredients to warrant me buying them individually just for me, but I am happy to get a jar of something, thank you!

The brand is Alfez and its an Apricot and coriander Moroccan Tagine Sauce. I've seen other flavours of Alfez sauces in one of the really big SMs I sometimes use - either Mr T or Mr A can't remember which. My usual Mr A doesn't stock it and my usual Mr T used to do the Apricot and coriander but they don't seem to stock it any more. Don't tend to go to Mr M very often these days but that was where I first found these to try. Before I got adventurous enough in the kitchen to have a go at DIY.

Ingredients are: tomato, water, olive oil, sugar, apricots, rice flour, coriander, garlic, salt, mint, paprika, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, cumin, lemon powder, parsley, caraway, pepper, citric acid. Have quite a few of these in the cupboard so might just have a go at throwing something together...
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    I haven't spent anything since the weekly shop on Saturday. No plans to get anything until at least Saturday, although we're going for a picnic on Sunday... Have stuff that will do for a picnic, but we may want to get a few bits - I'll have to see.

As of today, my daily budget is £3.46, so going up all the time! It was only £3.30something when I started looking at the figure. This is ok, especially as I don't have to cater Christmas this year. Well, I'll need to do tea for me and the children, but not the big ole dinner. That always seems to cost loads, because of the extras you 'have to have', just cos it's Christmas!!

Money is very tight for this month now - still have to pay for the dentist (hopefully just a check up), AND the overtime I should be paid this month hasn't gone through. It's fine, as I'll get it next month, but I kind of wanted it this month!

Hoping to spend as little as possible for the rest of the month. There are two weekends left, so hoping for £30 max between them. That'll raise my daily limit to nearly £4 if I can manage it! It's become a bit of a personal challenge now!!

Have a good day all, keep those delicious sounding recipes coming!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    :) excuse my ignorance but could someone pls tell me how to make my own oven chips , i read on one of the threads a woman casually saying she made her own oc but i didnt know you could do that i thought they went through a factory process or something, anyway i have just emtyied and cleaned my deep fat fryer in preparation on going on hols next week as it was needing oil change and washed out and dont really want to refill until we come home thanks:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
  • Possession
    Possession Posts: 3,262 Forumite
    Cut up potato and baste in a little oil in a baking tray, stick them in the oven for about half an hour depending on the size of the chips at about 190 degrees. You could make them really nice by parboiling them for a couple of minutes first but I don't bother. In fact I'm so lazy I really prefer potato wedges that I don't even have to peel!
    craigywv wrote: »
    :) excuse my ignorance but could someone pls tell me how to make my own oven chips , i read on one of the threads a woman casually saying she made her own oc but i didnt know you could do that i thought they went through a factory process or something, anyway i have just emtyied and cleaned my deep fat fryer in preparation on going on hols next week as it was needing oil change and washed out and dont really want to refill until we come home thanks:)
  • craigywv
    craigywv Posts: 2,342 Forumite
    Possession wrote: »
    Cut up potato and baste in a little oil in a baking tray, stick them in the oven for about half an hour depending on the size of the chips at about 190 degrees. You could make them really nice by parboiling them for a couple of minutes first but I don't bother. In fact I'm so lazy I really prefer potato wedges that I don't even have to peel!
    :)great thanks thats brill!!!!:)
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z #7 member N.I splinter-group co-ordinater :p I dont suffer from insanity....I enjoy every minute of it!!.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure