Spending Review: state pension age to rise early

This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

Comments

• The French strike in the streets... Brits just seem to take it laying down...
    Them in the government dont live in the real world.. !
    Comping & Coupons!
  • I have fallen foul of this one and now have to work an extra six years for a carpy pension whilst the oober rich scum can still retire at 50 :mad::mad: :mad::mad:
    It is about time we started doing what the French have been doing for years and stand up and fight.
    Blessed are the cracked for they are the ones that let in the light
    C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z. Member #35 Butterfly Brain + OH - Foraging Fixers
    Not Buying it 2015!
  • I have fallen foul of this one and now have to work an extra six years for a carpy pension whilst the oober rich scum can still retire at 50 :mad::mad: :mad::mad:
    It is about time we started doing what the French have been doing for years and stand up and fight.

I completly agree!.. Its disgusting...
    This Government have gone mad... Whats with all the International
    aid giving?????
    Im so mad!...

What have they said about people who sit on their a$$ claiming income support... What they gonna do about them??
    Comping & Coupons!
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,889 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 20 October 2010 at 2:45PM
    I have fallen foul of this one and now have to work an extra six years for a carpy pension whilst the oober rich scum can still retire at 50 :mad::mad: :mad::mad:

Five years of the six were put in place by the last government, if there was going to be any "stand up and fight" it should have been then, not much chance of a protest over one year. (The rises up to 68 were all in place under the last Govt, the current lot are just making it sooner)

You can retire (stop working that is) at 50 or any age you want, you just cannot get a pension then. A minimum age of 55 before you can draw on a pension was introduced during the last Government so your rich friends;) cannot get their pensions at 50 either.
  • bendix
    bendix Posts: 5,499 Forumite
    I have fallen foul of this one and now have to work an extra six years for a carpy pension whilst the oober rich scum can still retire at 50 :mad::mad: :mad::mad:

Alternatively, you could stop whining, take control of your own life and save for your retirement in those intervening years, while waiting for the Government pension to kick in.

What is wrong with the British. Why is everyone such a maudling victim?
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 October 2010 at 4:03PM
    Them in the government dont live in the real world.. !
    Many would say the French dont live in the real world. Would love their lifestyle but the money has to be there to pay for it.
    I have fallen foul of this one and now have to work an extra six years for a carpy pension whilst the oober rich scum can still retire at 50
    The announcement is an increase of 1 year not 6. Its only brought forward 4 years from when it was planned to go up anyway.
    Five years of the six were put in place by the last government
    It was actually the one before the last one. It was over 15 years ago.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • bendix wrote: »
    Alternatively, you could stop whining, take control of your own life and save for your retirement in those intervening years, while waiting for the Government pension to kick in.

Agreed.

Firstly, it won't take long for all the 'I paid into it all my life and now I don't get it' merchants to winge. They need to understand that they never 'paid into' it, but actually contributed to people retired years ago. Given the huge shift in proportion of retirees/taxpayers the existing taxpayers cannot be expected to be bled to death.

Secondly, it is not as though the public has not been warned. Even Barbara Castle was trying to get the 'working masses' to understand they need to fund their own pensions!

What do you say to a 10 year old you are taking on holiday for a week, when you have given them £50 and stressed that's the lot. It has to last the whole week. Day 5, and the child has blown the lot, and wants more. Well "Tough"!
  • opinions4u
    opinions4u Posts: 19,411 Forumite
    What do you say to a 10 year old you are taking on holiday for a week, when you have given them £50 and stressed that's the lot. It has to last the whole week. Day 5, and the child has blown the lot, and wants more. Well "Tough"!
    Strangely, it works.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,458 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Whats with all the International
    aid giving?????

You're really complaining about giving a few pence/pounds a year to people surviving on a couple of dollars a day?

Sorry, but this sickens me.

Good comparison here:

http://www.cafod.org.uk/about-us/how-we-work/standards/aid-q-as

'Currently, only around one per cent of our taxes are spent on international aid (the UK aid budget for 2010/11 is £9.1 billion). Every year the UK government loses £42 billion to tax avoidance'
  • ontherrazzle
    ontherrazzle Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 20 October 2010 at 5:30PM
    bendix wrote: »

When I was made redundant, one of the first things I did was invest a large chunk of my redundancy cheque into a private pension scheme, and added to it as and when I could. Due to the economic situation I have had to watch the value of my pension fund plummeting. It has now just about managed to get back up to the value it was at over 10 years ago - and that's without taking inflation into account. Also, thanks to falling annuity rates, the pension it will buy me is about 40% of what it would have been at that time. So much for "taking control of my own life".

This latest pension news is just another kick in the teeth.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure