PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• recovering_spendaholic
    Options
    Went to Tescos and couldn't resist buying a few bits:o Stocked up on Dog Food and then bought some Jazz apples, fuji apples, granny smith apples (none of us will eat the same apples), pears, cucumber and spring onions (mix n match Bogof). I also had to buy a new broom because DD broke the other one. Total spend was £29.46, which also included a few bits (paper, pens etc) for my office (I work from home). Sorry to bang on about it but can anyone tell me what Harry Potter stew is?
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Kadeeae
    Kadeeae Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I'm starting the "once a month big shop" this month - hoping only to have to pop to the co-op for milk, fruit & veg etc. Fingers crossed, so daunting trying to figure out a whole months goods in one go this first time! More planning this month so it will be easier come July.

Will update sig after delivery tomorrow . . . sooo scary :rotfl:
  • Ginger_Snap
    Ginger_Snap Posts: 194 Forumite
    Options
    recovering spendaholic- I have no idea what Harry Potter stew is, but could it be a sort of magic money saving stew, conjured up from apparently nothing?! (Maybe using whatever meagre ingredients to magic up a delicious meal?) Am only guessing...
  • hex2
    hex2 Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Mr T home delivery was the usual frustrating experience - half out of stock including dog food and unsalted butter and the usual stupid substitions (refused) which is very frustrating on a once a month shop. note to self - no discount voucher is worth it although I now have a £10 credit and £9 off a £90 for next month. I have had to order a Mr S for tomorrow or the dogs dont eat :cool:.

Food plan needs a major re-think as my DH will now be at home all of the time till he sorts a new job so I have to include his lunches. He is a meat at every meal person so this could be complicated and expensive! I knew all of those chickens in the freezer would be useful. He also plans to use the unexpected free time on getting fit and doing some buildings works so I am guessing extra carbs. Time to re-jig the Mr S order.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • Spiggle
    Spiggle Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi All, :hello:

There seem to be so many newbies joining which is brilliant. Welcome and good luck to you all. :wave:

We had a very quiet BH - apart from Eurovision on Saturday! - but it was lovely. Managed three NSD in a row (Sun, Mon, Tue) but had to go to MrT today to top up milk, flours for the BM and baking, cheese, butter, squash, juice, yoghurts, etc. Quite pleased as the total came to £36.95 and we shouldn't need too much more, except meat from the butchers and f&v from greengrocers, before next week. Well that's my plan! ;)

I had quite a nice surprise when I was updating my spreadsheet just now. I pay little attention to the annual budget we've set us other than to update it with the siggy. But it struck me that at the end of May we reached the end of our first quarter at which point we could have spent £750 but the total was only £686.87. Another demonstration of how fantastic and effective the support on this board is. So thank you, you are all wonderful. :A

The baking mullarkey must be getting under my skin because I got up on Monday, realised I hadn't baked with the GD on Saturday (had an appointment so she wasn't here as long in the day) and actually missed it so got on with making some! See, you all inspire me! :T

Right I'm off now. keep up the excellent work and good luck for the rest of this loooooonng month. :p

All the best,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013 :T
  • 3431Anna
    3431Anna Posts: 363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi can i join the grocery challenge please could i be put down for £200. This is only a guess and i hope to spend less, I will just have to wait and see how it goes i will keep recepits to add up for next month
    20p savers club 2013#23 83.00 (2014 numer 6,70.00 pounds) 2036SPC No 6(2013) 182.34
    2.00 savers club no 159
    SPC No 7 2036(2014) 369.[2[ SPC No 8 197.45 (no 114)
  • Lindy_-_Loo
    Lindy_-_Loo Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello, £2.00 spent in farmfoods on milk, bread and fruit juice. Havent spent much at half term as DS2 toilet training and we havent ventured far just family and had children here to play.
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • wssla00
    wssla00 Posts: 1,875 Forumite
    Options
    recovering spendaholic- I have no idea what Harry Potter stew is, but could it be a sort of magic money saving stew, conjured up from apparently nothing?! (Maybe using whatever meagre ingredients to magic up a delicious meal?) Am only guessing...

Oh sorry guys! HEE HEE.... it is a magical broth using all the old bits and bobs but also.... it has steak and an ale called the dark lord... hense Harry Potter Stew!:p
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Souk08
    Souk08 Posts: 3,240 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all, doing okay so far and menu planning like a mad thing so so far I have only spent £8.98 of my £20 budget. Wish the rest of my spending was as good as this!!!
    'The road to a friends house is never long'
  • recovering_spendaholic
    recovering_spendaholic Posts: 3,062 Forumite
    edited 2 June 2010 at 8:34PM
    Options
    wssla00 wrote: »
    Oh sorry guys! HEE HEE.... it is a magical broth using all the old bits and bobs but also.... it has steak and an ale called the dark lord... hense Harry Potter Stew!:p

ooh! does it have a recipe or do you just chuck stuff in? I had a phone call from ex dh's new partner this afternoon - she was moaning about him and the conversation (well she talked and I listened) went on for over an hour - it really threw me and I ended up giving DD2 and her friends money to go to the chippy for their tea because I couldn't face cooking or eating - so that was another £8! I must try and have NSD's until Saturday! STILL haven't done a meal plan so will have a go later.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure