PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

New Year, New Plans and Hopes

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
First Post I've been Money Tipped!
edited 25 January 2018 at 11:32AM in Old style MoneySaving
Good Morning chums ,well as its almost the end of 2017 what things would you like to see change for the better in the coming year.
Not so much resolutions, as they are far to easy to forget, and break. But actual plans, hopes and dreams ,be they small or large and why

I am hoping to detox my study of all the old rubbish accumulated over the past year , the projects started, and not finished. The books collected, yet not read.

The upcycling to be done in my conservatory, no more shilly-shallying that stool will get finished off sanding, undercoated and top coated .

The shelf I bought to be put up will jolly well get put up .The mirror that I stuck around with masking tape will be painted and hung. The print I bought back in April will be framed and hung up.Tubs in the garden will get planted with tomatoes instead of bulbs to save me some cash.

enough prevaricating, this is my master plan for 2019, so come on chums what's yours.

doesn't have to be big can be a to-do job that just hasn't been done Pick a few out and write them done and get motivated :):):)
Lets see how many of us can polish a few of them off

JackieO xx

Comments

• Topher
    Topher Posts: 640 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 December 2017 at 11:34AM
    STOP thinking of shopping as a hobby activity.
    Consider where money is going out of the house (keep a cash book).
    Have emptier bins. (Household waste bin, Compost bin, Glass Tin & Plastics bin, Cardboard bin, & Paper collection bag). This involves considering what materials come into the house, packaging, re-using etc.
    Lower expectations for gifts given and accepted. (Big ticket gifts could be experiences e.g. Mums could be taken out for posh afternoon tea).
    Re-capture sadly deteriorated cooking/baking skills, build up a new (now vegetarian) repertoire.
    Pantry. Go back to basics with our stored food choices use up, note mistakes and temptations that were never realised as completed dishes. We know what we like & use.
    Go through habitually hoarded stuff and try to change mentality over why I have it all (a complicated way of saying de-clutter).
    Determinedly make space for the Happiness hints as expressed by Logan Le Plante.
    Keep a diary and record of self challenges to log success.

As for TO DO:
    Make tartan wool cushion covers, Write. Make a garden planting plan and do it. Regularly spend time with family & friends (on one-to one meet ups) Catalogue Mum's collectible dining set and dispose of it profitably).
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Continue going to yoga at least once a week
    Less internet more reading books
    Also planning to make the study a cosy place to be - it is being remodelled in January and i want to make it less "storage room with desk" and more "cosy work room with hidden storage".
    My father died two weeks ago and in some ways my life will be easier (doesn't take away my sadness, obviously), as i had to factor in monthly visits and regular phone calls. I aim to use this extra time wisely in looking after myself, mentally and physically and making my life a little simpler.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    not set my full list yet but off the top of my head

smile more .....2017 i haven't done a lot of that
    become a face to face befriender for age Uk
    dump the attitude hoovers in my life (mostly done in 2017 :j but will continue)
    less on line time more real time
    read more
    plan some travel early doors then carry through
    introduce some different foods into my life
    take more care of my lovely home
    journal

well that will do for now but no doubt lots more will be added in reality....I am ready to enjoy 2018 without the baggage from years gone by :T:T
  • Well.......World Peace would be nice........:rotfl:

Great idea for a thread, Jackie.....

I do have a lot of plans.

As you know the last decade has been a time of worry, pain and sadness for me, my husbands illness and subsequent death and then the death of my parents in quick succession. Then just when I thought it couldn’t get any worse my sister turned on me. In the end I “divorced her”. that was six months ago and finally the pain and sorrow have eased and I’m ready to move forward with my life.

2018 is already shaping up well. I have my once in a lifetime trip to the Amazon, sailing on 7th January and then in July I am going to be a grandmother. First time. Wahoo.

For the rest...well when I get back from my holiday I am going to make it my mission to get out there and start having F U N. I have joined a widows group and have aldeady made some new friends.

I have resurrected a couple of hobbies ......photography and diy and have loads of ideas and projects lined up. I am going to get fitter, lose weight and start piano lessons. I am going to rejoin the National Trust.

Next year is all about learning to live again, getting out and about, meeting new people and just living life to the max.
  • I want to have more FUN too in 2018.:p I have already booked some tickets for January and was thinking about buying some more for a concert in May.

I want to go on meals out with my husband too as we have just been inside too much the past few years as he had cancer and I found out I have fibromyalgia this year. We have both been depressed as well as the health situation hasn't been great.

I want to get more healthy now my fibro seems to be somewhat under control with medication and better sleep.

I am going to eat more raw fruit and veg with daily smoothies, I stopped eating meat about 25 years ago, but have always had up and down weight and I have been comfort eating over the last few years. I want to lose weight too, but more about eating healthy to feel good.:)
    Nelski wrote: »
    become a face to face befriender for age Uk

That's nice of you.:A I did that for a charity too, not Age UK, a different one. That was over a decade ago now, where does the time go?!
  • Nonnadiluca
    Nonnadiluca Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 28 December 2017 at 1:42PM
    Like Topher, I want to continue my quest to reduce waste of every sort and generally try to lessen my impact on the planet as much as I can.
    *Make full use of the allotment and preserve as much as possible.
    *At the moment we have 2 -3 meat free meals a week, I will increase that to 4 - 5.
    *To help with the above, I will try new recipes more often.
    *Look into joining the local Transition Town group: I am interested to find out what projects they're involved with, but it does mean overcoming my discomfort with new/groups of people so I'll see how that goes!

Definitely less screen time!
    Fashion on the ration challenge 2023: 66 - 2 = 64 - 1.5 = 62.5
  • I really will, wholeheartedly cont8nue to de-clutter. This year I dabbled in the easy to de-clutter stuff and now I need to continue to remove the “stuff” from my house.
    I want to reduce expenditure without missing out on fun and experiences.
  • bexster1975
    bexster1975 Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Hi jackieO

As I am officially unemployed at the start of January, my resolution is to make my business work! ( I should say I quit my job by choice).

I will also need to stretch the pounds, at least for a few months

Bexster :)
  • ska_lover
    ska_lover Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I really plan to take better care of myself, and become more selfish.

1- Meditate more
    2 - Eat healthier, get more fit
    3 - Exercise - I do this.. but not enough
    4 - Make myself a priority
    The opposite of what you know...is also true
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Some nice ideas on here folks. :T

I don't tend to make resolutions any more - they never seem to work out - but here's a few things I'd like to do in 2018:

Print off photos of DGSs, frame them in one of those multi-aperture frames that I bought almost 12 months ago :o and hang on the wall.
    Reduce the pile of "to be read again" books and finally get them out of the house.
    Don't have a garden (just a small patio) but do have quite a few large pots that I'd like to use for food stuff (fruit, herbs, veggies).
    Continue working through my yarn stash. This year I've knitted 4 adult garments and 8 toddler jumpers so it's going down slowly but there's still a lot left. :o
    Go through my (large) fabric stash and actually make something with it :D. Any pieces I know I won't use can go to the CS.
    Try to go for a walk every day - even if it's only round the block! (I need the exercise :rotfl:)
    Like blackcatsx2, continue with the whole-house de-clutter. The kitchen is next on the hit-list! ;)
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport