PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The Garden Fence - proper Old Style support and chat!

Comments

• silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Hester - if you ever come 'darn sarf' the village of Bosham ( pronounced Bosum by locals) featured in Midsommer Murders and the car chase in one of the Poirot episodes.
    Agree with your TFT Monna - at least I can still do mental arithmetic faster than DGD can use her calculator!
    Have a small amount of washing to do and if it stays dry I'll have a bash at pruning the wisteria at the back of the house. It's a thug but looks so lovely in flower I put up with it, I also need to tackle a few bits of mending.
    FPK - thanks for the explanation - I too thought the colour was an indication of infection.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I love wisteria, always wanted one. Think maybe it wouldn't thrive up here though - even the Russian Vine died the third winter.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,951 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    We had wisteria on our old house. I carefully did the pruning two buds back bit every autumn. One year my OH took the hedge cutters to it :eek:

The following year it had never looked more magnificent, people used to stop and comment :rotfl:

I am soaking up sun on the terrace and have just finished my second book of the holiday :D
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    We used to have a beautiful forsythia at the end of the garden. One year OH got a bit carried away with the pruning, assuming confidently that if he "cut it right back" it would reward us with a magnificent display of yellow blossom the following year.

He now knows that doesn't work with forsythia. It died.
  • silvasava
    A little bit of serendipity - I had a visit from our robin while on the steps pruning - about 4 inches from my nose!! He's very cheeky and always hops round in case there's any food going ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Silvasava, I once had a robin like that. He used to hop around the earth that I was digging in the hope of having first dibs at anything I turned up. It's a miracle that he was never impaled on the prongs of my fork.
    He was the one who sat on my kitchen windowsill, tapping on the glass with his beak if I was a bit slow getting the goodies on to the bird table.
    On one occasion he hopped through the back door and I found him perched on the edge of the cat's saucer clearing up the leftovers while the cat watched him from the doorway with eyes out like organ stops.

I often wondered what happened when I moved away, he was my constant companion when I was gardening.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • silvasava
    Oh Monna - wonderful!! Mines not quite that brave but if our cat is in the garden too he hops out of reach and swears at her from a safe place lol
  • So I've bought Billy Elliot, Shaun of the Dead and a boxed set of Rita Heyworth, £2.48 for the lot.
    What's the betting CHS sits up late and wants to chat for the next few days.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • nannywindow
    nannywindow Posts: 3,398 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Hester Shaun of the dead is my "go to " film if I'm really down. It cheers me up no end. It's making me smile even thinking of it now :D.
    Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, but this time more intelligently
  • MMF007
    MMF007 Posts: 1,375 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 7:36PM
    So today it has been raining for about 3 hours, really tropical rain. We are sheltering on the patio (roof has been repaired).
    We thought we would do a couple of scientific experiments to while away the time.
    Experiment no.1 involved guessing the amount of boiling water to make a sugar-free jelly. We have no measuring jug and a quick browse of empty bottles (hicc :)) provided nothing of use.

I therefore boiled water in the kettle and used the markings on the viewing window as a guide. The jelly set in the fridge. When I say set I mean SET. Soooo, more water was boiled and stirred into the jelly and an hour later it seems fine. Ice cream is on standby for later (it's mid-afternoon as I type).

Experiment no.2 involved rum :D. It was agreed by all concerned (DH and I) that a blind taste test of 2 different rums at 11.30 am was perfectly legitimate. The 2 rums smelt quite distinct and did indeed taste different. Of course I prefer one and DH the other. That's OK, saves sharing!

We then moved seemlessly on to testing the choclates I brought with me, an xmas gift from a client. Can't claim any science went into this part of the late morning, we just randomly scoffed 3 each!

So, a pretty good day so far :rotfl:

In my defence, Your Honour, we did walk a 3 mile round trip early this morning, returning loaded with food (and, if the truth be told, drink :D).

And there was me saying we never drink. And it's cocktails with the PM tonight. Hicc :beer:

ETA - I like maths and don't mind our alphabet being involved, where I do get anxious is when the Greek alphabet gets involved, too !
    I have changed my work-life balance to a life-work balance. :grin:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure