Unauthorised money taken mwsf.co.uk

Comments

• gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    scaredlady wrote: »
    Why if you are borrowing money would anyone need your card details. All that is required for people to put money in your account is a sort code and account number...So WHY do people input their card details. Do they not stop and think-uhm wonder why they want these details for....

Legitimate pay day loan companies do ask for card details - they use them to set up a continuous payment authority for the repayment of the loan.

Unfortunately, it appears that a lot of people are incapable (or too lazy) of telling the difference between a pay day lender and a dodgy "broker".
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,701
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 November 2013 at 8:49AM
    gb12345 wrote: »
    So what website did you enter your card details on then?

Have they also taken money from your account?
    Possibly Smile Finance
    Why have I been charged a fee?

Following your payment on our website xxx.smilefinance.xx.uk we have debit your card a one off payment.
    From the Smile application page where you tick a box to agree
    we charge a fee of £35.34 for this service and we may receive a commission from our lenders.
    and just above that
    You are entitled to a refund of the brokerage fee (less £5) should you not agree a loan with one of our lenders, for whatever reason, within 6 months of our introduction to the lender. You also have a right to withdraw from your brokerage agreement with us within 14 days, upon which we will porvide you with a full refund.
    interesting final sentence !
  • gb12345
    gb12345 Posts: 3,055 Forumite
    molerat wrote: »
    Possibly Smile Finance

That was my thought, but in their other post (other thread) they also claim to have had money debited by Loans Direct.

I doubt that they have a clue which websites they have been entering their details on due to their desperation to get a loan. It won't surprise me if they return with a whole list of other debits from their account - all of which will be "fraudulent".
  • they are a payment processor... someone else is after your money
  • Hi guys. I was too burned by these awful people -from the site SmileFinance, a site I had never used in my life - Obviously my details were passed on in some sort of illegal manner and, today, my account was charged for the total of £35.34, I was incredibly confused at first, as the debited payment showed up on my statement as "WW MWSF""... Something that left me completely baffled. After some digging around on Google, I found this forum. I sent the company a couple of emails, to no avail, and tried calling them - The number was apparently "not in use". After this I decided I wasn't going to be played and sent them the following email:

Could you please confirm that you have received my email and are willing to process my refund. If not I will be forced to open a case against you, I will be looking for a full refund, damages for breach of my statutory rights, unlawfully taking money out of my bank and will furthermore be contacting my bank to register your transaction as unlawful. Thank you,

<my name>

After this I received the following email:

Thank you for your email.

As per the terms and conditions on our website, you have the right to cancel and receive a full refund within 14 days.

Can you please complete the attached refund request form and return it to us, and upon receipt of the form, your fee will be refunded within 7 days.

Please go to <generiv website url of none-help (I am not allowed to post links as a new member)> for full terms and conditions.

Yours sincerely,

Customer Service.

I believe this email was in response to one of the previous (less threatening) emails I had sent before. However, after a minute (if that) I received this email, presumably after they had read my 'threatening email':

Dear <my name>,

We are now looking to process this email today please can you supply

Your account number and sort code so we are able to do

A BANK TRANSFER FOR YOU.

REGARDS

I informed the correspondent that I had alerted my bank that I was about to give out my bank details and that they would be keeping a close watch on my account transactions. Within the time-scale of 8 HOURS (I was at work and unable to check my bank account) I had received a FULL REFUND (the amount, as previously stated, of £35.34) from "EQI INDEPENDENT LT". I received no confirmation email that my refund had been processed, indicating to me that these sub-human scum suckers really don't enjoy refunding you what is rightfully yours and would much rather hold on to it for as long as humanly possible until you send them a posted letter to request it back - Even then I've read some other horror stories of 'month long delays', from other various forums and message boards.

I really hope this helps some people get their cash back, I was in a real panic this morning and if it wasn't for this forum I would of been incredibly stuck as where (or who) to go regarding chasing this up. Please feel free to copy and paste my exact email in order to, hopefully, getting your own money back (although, you may want to put the same jist into your own words as so they don't catch on). In fact, feel free in copying and pasting this entire message to anyone or anywhere that people are in need of a solution.

I, like many others on this forum (from what I've gathered), was very stupid and naive to enter my full bank details and card number into sites I knew absolutely nothing about. I genuinely am so thankful that only one company got a hold of my details and tried to rip me off (I entered my details into various sites a couple of weeks ago and, thus far, this has been the only one payment that has tried to scam me, if there are more suspected unpleasant surprises ahead, please do let me know!). I will COMPLETELY learn from this mistake and see it as a learning curve. Researching and looking into sites to confirm that are trusted agencies is a MUST when looking for a short-term loan, and I only wish I'd learnt this sooner, even though I do consider myself extremely lucky in this circumstance. I really hope this post helps at least one person. It makes me sick to see these fat cats leaching off of people in their time of need. Good luck, guys, and thanks so much for helping me out with all your info!

(I'm sorry this was such an essay to read)
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    To previous poster, why were you looking for a short term loan ? Speak to your bank and see what they offer. Maybe try only spending what you can afford.
  • Yeah, I've ditched the whole idea since this experience and am taking such a route.
  • Two issues:

However, FOS will only intervene if the OP first complains to the business and does not receive an outcome that is satisfactory within 8 weeks.
    What will OP eat for 8 weeks while waiting for the £36?:eek::D
    Probably the best Engineer in the World
  • fevlo
    fevlo Posts: 203
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    I think the problem here is that the OP has asked for advice but has then refused to accept what is being said as correct.

The unfortunate fact is that the OP has entered card details into a "Broker" site who have charged a fee for finding a PDL company that will lend.
    The broker has then charged the fee as set out in the T's and C's.

Its wrong that there are so many stories like this, the broker sites don’t make it obvious that they will charge a fee and when it happens its annoying and the first reaction is to jump up and down and shout fraud.

I fell foul of this myself 12 months ago when I was in a debt hole, I learned from the experience and won’t do it again.

OP, put it down as a life lesson and be careful who you give card details too. Your bank won’t want to know because you gave the card details to the broker company and the brokers have charged their fee, technically no fraud has been committed.

[STRIKE]DFD - 24th October 2015[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]DFD - 24th March 2015 [/STRIKE]
    DEBT FREE 24.03.15
  • Apples2
    Apples2 Posts: 6,442 Forumite
    I sent the company a couple of emails, to no avail, and tried calling them - The number was apparently "not in use".
    So after all that you requested your refund in writing, as detailed in the terms and conditions?

Emailing might work eventually but it is not the best method.
    Well done in getting you refund, no matter how you managed it but do keep a good eye on your account, it seems you have spread around access into your bank account to more than enough people to abuse.
    5.1 Under the Financial Services (Distance Marketing) Regulations 2004 you have a right to cancel your application within 14 days of receiving these terms and conditions and receive a refund. If You wish to cancel your application, You must write to us. In this event We will refund your fee within 7 working days of the date on which We receive your written request to cancel your application. Any such requests should be made to: MoneyWarehouse, Metropolitan House Station Road, Cheadle Hulme, Cheadle, Cheshire, United Kingdom SK8 7AZ
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure