Pregnant Honeymoon Cancellation

We have booked our honeymoon to Las Vegas and Mexico. It is 9 weeks away and has now been paid in full by credit card. We recently found out that I am pregnant. This means I cannot travel to Mexico due to zika virus. I phoned my travel agent on Tuesday who said we could change the destination and were going to gather together different options. 4 days later they have now advised that some of the tickets have been printed so we will no longer be able to change anything or receive any kind of refund. Any advice on what we can do here?

Comments

• daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,510 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Travel insurance claim?
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Why are they printing tickets? too early?
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I think just a travel industry term dating back to when they were actually issuing tickets. These days they are electronic records often called an "e-ticket" and this is "issued" depending on the fare conditions and a certain time before departure. The e-ticket number is allocated to the booking reservation. Nothing is printed by the airline.

I suspect in the OP's case it is more likely that the holiday package had reduced airline fares but these can be restrictive in terms of changes or refunds. If fare terms state no changes are permitted then the e-ticket can be issued quite quickly after booking or at least sometime before travel.

A degree of negotiation by the OP on other options being offered by the airline/tour operator/travel company is now necessary. It might be more down to good-will. Good luck.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Is it a package holiday?

What do the T&Cs say?

There is usually a sliding scale of cancellation charges ranging from deposit only to loss of full amount very close to departure date.

To lose the full amount on a package holiday 9 weeks before departure sounds a lot.

'printing tickets' sounds a bit odd to me.
  • cherabelle
    cherabelle Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    EmmaMcK wrote: »
    We have booked our honeymoon to Las Vegas and Mexico. It is 9 weeks away and has now been paid in full by credit card. We recently found out that I am pregnant. This means I cannot travel to Mexico due to zika virus. I phoned my travel agent on Tuesday who said we could change the destination and were going to gather together different options. 4 days later they have now advised that some of the tickets have been printed so we will no longer be able to change anything or receive any kind of refund. Any advice on what we can do here?

A couple of questions from me.

Have you provided medical evidence of your pregnancy? I am going to Mexico next Feb and queried if we tried for a baby after our wedding and I was pregnant what would happen. They said provided medical evidence was made available they would change the booking AND that the WHO said Mexico was still at risk of ZIKA?

Is Zika still a warning/risk as far as medical professionals consider (I don't know the answer to this, I am interested myself). There doesn't seem to be the media coverage of it any more of many/any new cases reported. May be worth checking with the agent whether it's still the accepted practice they change the destination for pregnant women. I suppose what I'm getting at is, it is still medically advised against travelling or is it that it's now based on personal preference whether you wish to change your plans. Both are equally valid reasons given the potential health implications of Zika, i too may be in this position in 8 months so I guess I want to know for myself too. If it is the later they may say certain requirements have to be met etc.

Keep us updated and good luck.
  • cherabelle
    cherabelle Posts: 172 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Me again,

I wonder whether the following kind of answers one of my points, in that they don't specifically advise against the travel in the way they did when it first came out. Therefore it's the agents goodwill & standard T&C's which would determine if you could change.

"As of 2 August 2017, Public Health England (PHE) no longer provides detailed travel health advice in relation to Zika virus."

Taken from here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/zika-virus-travel-advice
  • koalakoala
    koalakoala Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    It doesn't mean you "cannot" travel to Mexico.
    But if you don't want to go stay in Las Vegas??
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Travel insurance claim?

Probably wouldn't cover it - most don't now it's a well known risk, I don't think. Worth double checking the terms and conditions though.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure