Aerials

Hi all.

I have a loft conversion which my Son now occupies. He is complaining that his TV isn't getting a signal and asks me to re-locate the outside Aerial which currently affixed to the outside wall but only half way up. My Daughter gets a picture through it but unfortunately not my Son.

We have access to the original loft space but, would an Aerial receive a picture if placed there?
Kind regards Jeff. #
PS I find it strange in this digital age that an Aerial is required to pick up Freeview TV.

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    First of all how many TVs are fed from that antenna?

Secondly is there actually a TV antenna cable running to the loft conversion?
    PS I find it strange in this digital age that an Aerial is required to pick up Freeview TV.
    How else is it supposed to receive a radio signal transmitted from your local TV transmitter? Modern digital TVs work just the same as the old analogue ones did - they receive signals on certain channels in the TV broadcast band for your area, decode it and display the picture. The only difference is that instead of it being an analogue signal transmitted the transmitter sends data which the Freeview TV decodes and one physical radio channel can carry multiple TV channels.
  • Where do you live Jeff?
  • Thanks for the replies.

First of all there are two TVs running from the same Aerial which is currently outside just above a flat roof extension. My Daughters room is level with the Aerial but the other lead rises to the loft.

I do find it strange because his TV has been in working order until a few weeks ago.

We live in the Greater Manchester area with the Aerial pointing at Winter Hill which has one of the tallest masts in the Country.

Maybe there is a portable Aerial that could be placed beside the TV with a booster Signal?

Kind regards Jeff.
  • I live in Stockport and had a new aerial fitted to my chimney about 12 months ago. It was only £40 ish I think. Might be worth just doing that if you can afford it. I've never found signal boosters etc to be that effective.
  • mgfvvc
    mgfvvc Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I do find it strange because his TV has been in working order until a few weeks ago.

That suggests to me that the location of the aerial isn't the issue and something else has changed. Simply moving the aerial is unlikely to help, although, if it's a dodgy connection the disruption to the cable might solve the problem temporarily or break it completely. It's possible something has happened to the aerial itself and it needs adjusting, fixing or replacing.

It's probably best to get someone who knows what they are doing to look at it, rather than fiddling, based on advice from amateurs like me on the internet.
    Maybe there is a portable Aerial that could be placed beside the TV with a booster Signal?

That's possible, if he has a reasonably good signal. My mother's telly runs fine off a portable aerial with a booster.
  • Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I'd agree that it's most likely a connection issue. Check plugs sockets and cables. Swap any fly leads with other known good ones.

Also possible he's done a retune of the TV and it's found the 'wrong' transmitter at Moel-y-Parc... a manual tune should cure that. http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/manual_retuning

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/set-top-aerials.html is worth a read (and has info on how to wire TV plugs etc.,.)

Do check his TV works OK on another know good TV aerial outlet. It's possible (albeit unlikely) it has developed a fault.
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    For the trad terrestrial channels (BBC1,2,4, ITV1, C4, C5) the internet will suffice, e.g. via the NowTV box (or app)...
    https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-my-now-tv-box
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • chiny
    chiny Posts: 193 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    It always amazes me how dire a TV aerial system can get before it packs up. Corroded-to-white connections in the aerial block, green copper connections, water down the coax cable, even rainwater coming out of the coax plug at the TV. A "40 years in the trade" mate of mine says he has been called to repair TVs with water inside the TV as well as installations where the TV aerial had fallen into the garden months/years before.

Boosters should be a last resort, with a proper working aerial better (probably cheaper in the short and long term). Multiple TVs on one aerial is a techie can of worms but a splitter might help.

No connection with this lot which may be over-geeky but possibly of help.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,627 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    grumpycrab wrote: »
    For the trad terrestrial channels (BBC1,2,4, ITV1, C4, C5) the internet will suffice, e.g. via the NowTV box (or app)...
    https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-apps-are-available-on-my-now-tv-box
    Of course if you like watching the HD channels then it won't suffice as not all the main channel apps allow you to watch HD programming.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure