Amazon reviews - getting ridiculous

Comments

• Fakespot would mark down a cure for the common cold for 'too many positives':rotfl:
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    robatwork wrote: »
    I missed this. The answer has to be yes, as I tend to always change the order I display results by ranking. I discount items with 1 review....so if your 4 are 5* then that's still better than 80 3* reviews.

You should run your reviews through the review checker I referred to in post 1
    That's on managing your own search. I'd assumed 'ranking' was the chart placement for items. I've seen some items with really poor ratings do very well. I've been looking at TVs over the Black Friday deals and some on there with low ratings are doing quite well. That's mostly to do with people paying £700 for a TV and it not being up to scratch. When reduced to under £400 the ratings matter less.

Certainly a low rating can kill an item. I had a new item that was selling quite well and someone received the item damaged. It was sent by Amazon and they've all been perfect, so just a freak occurrence. The problem is the buyer left a one star review and it's the only one there is, I can barely give them away now.
  • RFW
    Fakespot would mark down a cure for the common cold for 'too many positives':rotfl:
    Searched all over and can't find it, is there a link?;)

I just used to check a competitor, they have 8 similar products and they all have the same amount of reviews (17) with a 5 star average and haven't been selling very long. Knowing what their product is I can't believe they'd get such a high amount of 5s, Fakespot gives them a 90% rating. So either they're surprisingly genuine or good at faking it. On the other hand my highest rated products with 30+ genuine reviews each are getting an 80% Fakespot score.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I did message about 50 people to request feedback and not one of them responded.

Purely coincidentally one that I hadn't got around to messaging left me my first 1 star, apparently despite the listing giving dimensions he thought it was going to be bigger.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • RFW
    FatVonD wrote: »
    apparently despite the listing giving dimensions he thought it was going to be bigger.
    The majority of bad feedback/reviews I've had online have been that. I've had several on one item that some thought would be bigger and some thought would be smaller.

Back when I used to be mean to customers, I sold an item that was a "6 inch long wotchamacallit", the length being part of the title. The feedback said "thought it would have been longer", I replied "Did you expect it to grow in the post?".
  • robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    RFW wrote: »
    Back when I used to be mean to customers, I sold an item that was a "6 inch long wotchamacallit", the length being part of the title. The feedback said "thought it would have been longer", I replied "Did you expect it to grow in the post?".

Could have been a courgette.
  • nickcc
    nickcc Posts: 2,265 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Get fed up with Amazon asking for reviews on Christmas presents, how the heck do I know as I've not even opened them.
  • spud17
    spud17 Posts: 4,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    RFW wrote: »
    The majority of bad feedback/reviews I've had online have been that. I've had several on one item that some thought would be bigger and some thought would be smaller.

Back in the summer I was looking for a new 80/20 fridge/freezer. One review of the model I was looking at said the fridge part was too big and the freezer part was too small. :rotfl:
    Move along, nothing to see.
  • RFW
    robatwork wrote: »
    Could have been a courgette.
    How did you know? It couldn't grow though, I had to slice it in two for it to go as a large letter.:D
  • RFW
    spud17 wrote: »
    Back in the summer I was looking for a new 80/20 fridge/freezer. One review of the model I was looking at said the fridge part was too big and the freezer part was too small. :rotfl:
    Surprising how many reviews are essentially people admitting that they're stupid.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure