PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

tenancy woes :(

Options

Comments

• fly53
    fly53 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Options
    Ok so ive read that the conditions of the grant of tenancy is that i have house contents insurance.

Which ive found i dont have!?!?
    Dont ask how that happened. I was granted the tenancy upn that condition which wasnt fullfilled.

Does this invalidate my tenancy?

It that my fault or the agents?

Just gets better and better.
  • Slithery
    Slithery Posts: 6,046 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    It doesn't matter one jot.

It's an unenforceable clause.
  • thelem
    thelem Posts: 774 Forumite
    Options
    EA = Estate Agent (or Letting Agent)

While the written notice is important, I think it's more important that you and the agent agree on when your notice expires. That way you don't end up having to fight them in court or anywhere.

Ask the agent to explain why they think you cannot move out before 10 months, quoting the relevant terms on the contract.

I assume that they think you are only able to *serve* your notice after 8 months, but the contract clearly says: "4.2.1 shall not *expire* before the eight month of the term".
    Note: Unless otherwise stated, my property related posts refer to England & Wales. Please make sure you state if you are discussing Scotland or elsewhere as laws differ.
  • fly53
    Options
    Thanks so much for the help here i really appreciate it.

If miss quoated the text. It says "shall not expire before the end of the 8th month of the term"

I assume that same still stands?

Thankyou
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    fly53 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the help here i really appreciate it.

If miss quoated the text. It says "shall not expire before the end of the 8th month of the term"

I assume that same still stands?

Thankyou
    ok that helps a little as it does not specifically state "expire on or before"

so it appears your notice can expire on or after the end of the 8th month since that is indeed in keeping with the requirement that is does not expire before the end of the 8th month :)

so you serve your notice on (but preferably before) Feb 25th so that it gives 2 months notice aligned with the end date of your tenancy as required by your contract, and thus it expires exactly on 24th April (and you must have moved out before midnight on the 24th)

you will not find a template letter since you simply write on paper giving that date and stating you are invoking the terms of the break clause.
  • fly53
    Options
    Dear ll

I will be vacating the premises on the 24th of april 2018 which will end my tenancy.

this being having served more than two calender months notice to break before the end of the 8th month of the term.

my forwarding address is x

kind regards

me
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Dear ll

I will be vacating the premises on the 24th of april 2018 which will end my tenancy.

this being having served more than two calender months notice to break before the end of the 8th month of the term.

my forwarding address is x

kind regards

me
    Why? Are you expecting him to visit?
  • fly53
    Options
    Not really. Im just serving my break clause which lasts untill 24th april.

Though now the agent is saying my possesion started on signing the tenancy ( the 18th aug) not when i moved in. Are thry taking the mick or what?
  • fly53
    Options
    . I thought ide have to leave my forwarding address no? :)
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    . I thought ide have to leave my forwarding address no? :)

Whats going to happen if you don't?....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport