Wren Kitchens - Possible Fraud?

Hi, I have an issue regarding Wren Kitchens and would like some advice on resolution.

I purchased a circa £10,000 kitchen from Wren which was delivered on 26th May 2017. There were several issues with the parts provided, specifically; all worktops had serious manufacturing faults, and an incorrect cupboard door was provided. I understand that problems such as these can arise therefore I contacted Customer Services. After providing photographic proof of these issues Wren supplied replacements.
The significant issue I have now encountered is regarding the supplied handles. The installation had been completed by my kitchen fitter and I noticed the handles that had been supplied were incorrect. I immediately contacted Wren & informed them of their mistake and asked for them to send the handles that I had specified and paid for as per our contract. I was told in no uncertain terms that I was outwith the allocated '28 days' time limit and that I would have to buy a new set of handles for circa £200!
I am incredulous that a large company such as Wren Kitchens who must spend a considerable amount of time and money on their public perception would make a decsion such as this. Which in effect will turn a happy customer into a justifiabily aggrieved party.
In regards to the law and their '28 day' time limit, surely this part of the contract does not outweigh the core of the contract which is that they must supply me with the items chosen and paid for. Their logic would state that if they supplied me with an empty box for £10,000 and I didn't contact them within 28 days, they would be within their rights! Surely this is incorrect and this behaviour/decision is essentially fraud?
Any advice regarding my legal position and possible routes to resolution would be greatfully recieved.

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 July 2017 at 7:49PM
    What do their terms and conditions say about checking you have the correct goods on delivery ? I think you'll find it says that you have to notify them within a certain timeframe, which you are now past.

Where does fraud come into it ?
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Mistakes do happen. It's one of those things.

You knew a cupboard door was wrong and some work tops were substandard. Did that not make you think 'better check the rest of this, just in case!'

Plus you didn't even noticed until all the handles had been finished? Am I guessing correctly?
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Read your contract, having read it if you can find in any way Wren have been dishonest or made a false representation then think about fraud. Until you have evidence of that there's no fraud.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    meer53 wrote: »
    What do their terms and conditions say about checking you have the correct goods on delivery ? I think you'll find it says that you have to notify them within a certain timeframe, which you are now past.

Where does fraud come into it ?

Being in the T&C's does not necessarily mean you're stuck with it. Especially if those T&C's are contrary to the position of law.
    2(d): Time limits on claims
    5.7.1. If a contract is to be considered balanced, each party’s rights must remain
    enforceable against the other for as long as is reasonably necessary, as well as being adequate in other respects. The general law allows a period
    of six years (five years in Scotland) for making claims for breach of
    contract91 where the parties have not agreed a definite period between
    themselves, and this may be regarded as the benchmark of fairness.

5.7.3 Prompt notification of complaints is desirable because it encourages
    successful resolution and is therefore to be encouraged. But taking away
    all rights to redress is liable to be considered an over-severe sanction for
    this purpose.

5.7.4 Where the consumer’s statutory rights are at issue,92 any fault found in
    goods or digital content (which is paid for either directly or indirectly) within
    six months of the date of sale is generally assumed to be the business’s
    responsibility unless it can prove otherwise. It is therefore particularly unfair
    and misleading for terms to seek to exclude or limit the consumer’s right to
    redress for faulty goods or digital content during the first six months after
    purchase. As noted above (in part 1 ‘other legislation’ on the CPRs) the use
    of misleading terms may give rise to enforcement action as an unfair
    commercial practice.

5.7.6 There is similarly likely to be no objection to wording that encourages
    consumers to check to the best of their ability for any defects or
    discrepancies at the earliest opportunity, and take prompt action as soon
    as they become aware of any problem. Concerns do not arise so long as
    there is no suggestion that the trader disclaims liability for problems which
    consumers fail to notice.

OP go back to them and inform them that they are in breach of contract, they remain liable to provide a remedy for up to 6 years and that they may be committing a criminal offence by misleading consumers about their rights. Tell them they can either send the correct handles or you'll be making a claim against them for £x (whatever it would cost to source the handles) plus any and all reasonable costs incurred due to their breach.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • In no way does their stipulation of a '28 day' time limit trump the core of their contractual obligation to me the customer. Which is to provide the goods selected and paid for in the contract. Going by this '28 day' limit logic, would it be alright for Wren to supply me with an empty box for £10,000 and if for some reason I couldn't check it until the 29th day then that would be a case of hard luck "Read the small print".
    I just find it hard to believe that what appears to be a large reputible company would act in this way over a set of handles. Wren obviously recognises that a significant proportion of their business is generated via word of mouth and this seems like a terrible way to treat a customer.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    M.Wood wrote: »
    Wren obviously recognises that a significant proportion of their business is generated via word of mouth and this seems like a terrible way to treat a customer.

Another thread about Wren Kitchens:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3461405&page=16
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    I'm totally shocked you received such bad service from such a wonderful company that has never ever had any complaints.
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

• harrys_dad
    harrys_dad Posts: 1,997 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    M.Wood wrote: »
    I am incredulous that a large company such as Wren Kitchens who must spend a considerable amount of time and money on their public perception would make a decsion such as this. Which in effect will turn a happy customer into a justifiabily aggrieved party.

Especially as you are the first "happy customer" of Wren Kitchens I have ever read about on here or any other consumer forum. I would have thought they would offer you a completely free kitchen as you are so rare.
  • hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 13 July 2017 at 11:55AM
    Surely they must have satisfied customers.??
  • Sicard
    Sicard Posts: 851 Forumite
    hollydays wrote: »
    Surely they must have satisfied customers.??

Anyone? Is anyone there?
    You know what uranium is, right? It's this thing called nuclear weapons. And other things. Like lots of things are done with uranium. Including some bad things.
    Donald Trump, Press Conference, February 16, 2017

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport