The AA

2»

Comments

• vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Never forget that the AA is no longer an Institution. It is now an Insurance Company first and foremost whose priority is for their shareholders.

Be realistic. Breakdown companies don't like giving refunds. For instance if you buy a new car with 3 years free AA Cover they will "park" your current policy rather than give a refund.

Firstly ring them up with your mother in law by your side to give authority to cancel auto renewal. Be polite - it is not the agents fault. You may get a sales spiel to try and convince you the benefits of auto-renewal and that she is a Gold member with blah blah benefits. Be insistent and say that you have politely asked once, and now you are asking a second time to cancel auto renewal. Say that if you have to ask a 3rd time you will make a formal complaint. Again be mindful that the agent is only following their job script.

If your mother in law must have some form of breakdown cover and she only drives locally then consider AutoAid. If she needs the bells and whistle cover then at renewal join the RAC using Quidco or TopCashback. This will give a 45% discount on policies over £241. The next year join the AA again using a cashback website.

Remember that loyalty nowadays counts for nothing. That's why marketing budgets are driven at new customers rather than renewing customers.
    The man without a signature.
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 11 June 2017 at 11:30AM
    Sicard wrote: »
    OP I thought the companies were obliged to put in writing some time before renewal that the auto renewal was taking place. If they haven't done this then there may be better grounds for a refund.

The probably did (and the OP admits this). The fact the mother-in-law cannot read means the AA could have sent a million letters and it would have made no difference.

Sicard wrote: »
    robbing money from little old ladies

How do you know she is a little old lady? Both my parents are in their 70s. They regularly change providers to get better deals, use cashback sites, buy and sell on eBay etc. My mum would not be impressed if I called her a little old lady! My point is that just because someomne is in their 70s does not automatically made them vulnerable and frail and ripe to be taken advantage of.

The main issue here is that fact the OPs mother-in-law cannot read. It would worry me about what else she has missed due to this.

custardy wrote: »
    If she cant read,who was driving the car the cover was on?

I think it's more about being able to recognise the signs. If you have difficulties reading you can get help on the theory test so I don't know if being able to read is actually a requirement to drive!
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    bris wrote: »
    And you really believe that British kids don't leave school not being able to read or right?

Where did I make any such suggestion? The person in question is described as Spanish and it seems reasonable therefore to assume that they were educated in Spain. The British education system has no bearing on it (although clearly you missed a lesson :D).
  • She is very dyslexic, and English not first language. She has a full uk driving licence.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Gavlar99 wrote: »
    She is very dyslexic, and English not first language. She has a full uk driving licence.

So how does she read road signs?
  • bagpuss38
    bagpuss38 Posts: 704
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    We received a letter from the AA informing us of a renewal.
    However they had decided to upgrade us to a silver membership which consisted of free benefits but costs twice as much a month.
    Shall be calling them tomorrow to decline.
    SIMPLY BE-££577.11:eek:
    Very BNPL - £353.00:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family