Options

Comments

• motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 May 2017 at 3:07PM
    Options
    calog wrote: »
    I share concerns of OP on this, later down the line diesels will be penalised.

Diesel car sales are slumping, new car sales figures show this.

As with everything else we will have to find ways of transporting goods more efficiently or swallow additional costs.

Where are you getting the impression its a slump?

Diesel car sales have peaked - and rightly so. Far too many people saw them as the default choice and they arent. There are now very viable economical petrol variants now in existence that have become more popular If all that means diesels return (rightly) to the realms of high mileage drivers then thats absolutely fine with me.

We'll see sales decline gradually, but its by no means a "slump"
  • calog
    calog Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maybe slumping was too strong a description but they are definitely falling, recent media stories state this repeatedly since other stories of increasing pollution in city centres.
  • Robisere
    Robisere Posts: 3,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have to say upfront that I have been a Motability driver for the last 22 years (and very grateful for it). In that time I have driven petrol and diesels, the last and current cars being diesel. I served in the Army for 12 years and was a workshop foreman for many years before injury and disability, so I have driven my share of differently-powered vehicles. The diesels I drove in the past were a very different beast to those of the present. I remember carrying out the first diesel emissions tests for MOT certification: many of the (then) popular diesel engines failed, especially some of the older Leyland diesels.

Details here of those diesel engine cars which pass the Euro 6 limits:
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/37-popular-diesel-cars-sail-7808803

This is how Auto Express sees it:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/consumer-news/90816/euro-6-emissions-standards-what-do-they-mean-for-you

Basically, engines fitted after September 2009 must pass Euro5a tests. Engines after September 2014 must pass Euro6 diesel tests. Euro 6 is a dramatically low NOX content of 80 mg/km.

As to the OP's question: where you live, how many miles a week you drive and the environment you regularly drive through, should have a bearing on whether you buy a petrol or diesel car. Also look at the lists linked above to decide upon the year of a diesel engined car.

For example: I live in rural Lincolnshire. My nearest large supermarket is a 44 mile round trip, nearest city is Lincoln, a 60 mile round trip. I regularly drive anything up to 250 miles a week, mostly through villages and small towns. A diesel is ideal for me. However, if I lived in a large urban area and covered less miles per week, I would have a petrol engined car.
    I think this job really needs
    a much bigger hammer.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Diesel car sales are slumping, new car sales figures show this
    Then please share these "figures" to back up this claim of yours.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Maybe slumping was too strong a description but they are definitely falling, recent media stories state this repeatedly since other stories of increasing pollution in city centres.
    According to the SMMT sales of diesel cars hit a new record in March this year although there has been a slow down in all sales since the new VED rules came out on April 1.
  • motorguy
    Options

The media are trying to whip up a story.

They've a big headline this month about how theres been a massive drop in new car sales in April, and last month they had a big headline about the massive increase in PCP / PCH agreements for new cars in March and citing this as an example of how car finance was out of control.

The reality was that new car sales generally were UP in March because people were trying to beat the tax increases, and they are DOWN this month compared to the same month last year because people bought a month early.

Cars taken on finance was only UP in March because new car sales were UP - it wasnt evidence of some massive trend.

Where there is a viable alternative to a diesel variant - for example where theres a new super-economical 1.0 litre turbo petrol variant available, then yes people are quite rightly moving to petrols. Thats just the way the market is moving because of advances in the last 5 years in petrol car economy NOT because theres some sort of anti-diesel movement happening among buyers.

The problem is people may develop an anti diesel stance because of what they read in the papers, NOT because the papers have picked up on and are reporting on an anti diesel stance among people.
  • motorguy
    Options
    neilmcl wrote: »
    According to the SMMT sales of diesel cars hit a new record in March this year although there has been a slow down in all sales since the new VED rules came out on April 1.

Exactly - but the papers chose to use this piece of information to whip up a story that new car finance had hit a new record high (OBVIOUSLY it did because new car sales were up), and now they're using the same information to say new car diesel sales are DOWN in April.

So either they've people who are clearly !!!!!! trying to analyse trends, OR they're purposely trying to whip up new scandals.

They're already talking about a new "car finance scandal" where people were "mis-sold" PCP deals. No doubt they'll support that by wheeling in some gimp on minimum wage whos bought a new BMW and will be wanting to "blame" the dealer for "making them buy it" therefore he feels he should be entitled to com-pen-say-shun.
  • andrewf75
    andrewf75 Posts: 10,421 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Cars taken on finance was only UP in March because new car sales were UP - it wasnt evidence of some massive trend.

But surely car sales have been strong because of PCP deals not the other way round. Wages are stagnant, people have probably less spare money than ever, but are still buying cars only because of PCP deals, the whole invention of which is to keep people buying cars!
    Like anything (as we moneysavers know) its best for our individual finances to avoid the temptation of buying new stuff all the time, but at the same time it’s essential for the economy that we do!
  • motorguy
    edited 18 May 2017 at 11:18AM
    Options
    andrewf75 wrote: »

But surely car sales have been strong because of PCP deals not the other way round.

Yes. But thats not what i said. I said that the newspapers were reporting the finance agreements were massively UP in March - and they cited this as an example of how car finance was out of control. Whereas the reality is finance agreements were up because new car sales were up during March because people were buying in advance of the tax changes.

Those same newspapers now have stats in for sales during April which are down (because people bought in advance of the tax changes in April) but are chosing to interpret that as "diesel sales are DOWN". :rolleyes:

They're whipping up a story. If they put enough spin on it, people start to believe it and act on it.

Wages are stagnant, people have probably less spare money than ever, but are still buying cars only because of PCP deals, the whole invention of which is to keep people buying cars!

Yes, for many people a PCP or PCH deal is an effective way of wrapping up the depreciation, warranty and often servicing costs into a set monthly payment with they can budget for.

That is not a problem in itself. The problem is the misuse of that by people overcommitting.

Like anything (as we moneysavers know) its best for our individual finances to avoid the temptation of buying new stuff all the time, but at the same time it’s essential for the economy that we do!

This site is not about not spending money, its about getting the best deal when you do. If people can effectively use a PCP or PCH payment then there is no issue.
  • Tammykitty
    Tammykitty Posts: 1,005 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    All fossil fuel burning vehicles are on their way out. Its only a matter of time. However as long as there are petrol cars there will be diesel cars too.

Diesel should never have been the default choice for fuel type that it had become and if we're seeing that rebalance back to those who get a financial advantage from running on it then great.

If you're doing 10-12,000 miles a year then you should never have been driving a diesel in the first place.

Thats evidence of re-education, not that diesel is "on its way out".

I think that is too much on a generalization and imo really only applies if you are buying expensive newish cars (under 5 years old).

I used to do one 150 (75 mile & return) mile journey a week plus a few short journeys (so about 9,000 miles a year)

At 35mpg - that's 256 gallons of petrol
    at 55mpg - that's 164 gallons of diesel

At £5.00 a gallon (£1.10 a litre) - that's a saving of £460 a year
    Plus £100 cheaper tax

Those savings more than counteract the increase maintenance costs and the increase cost of purchase cost of a second hand diesel (I paid £500 over the insurance value of my 7 year polo, to replace with a very similar polo in diesel)

I now do 18,000 miles a year, so very glad I changed!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure