Car insurance auto renewal

I normally insure each year as a one off payment. I then compare quotes after receiving renewal and call original insurer to cancel if necessary. (ie jut in case auto renewal is on)

Until now all my prior insurers charge the renewal premium either on renewal date or maybe next day.

However Endsleigh has charged the full annual premium to my card 5 business days prior to renewal date. I intend to cancel and would expect no admin fee but is this early renewal being used elsewhere or is it just Endsleigh.?

Comments

• DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ss53 wrote: »
    I normally insure each year as a one off payment. I then compare quotes after receiving renewal and call original insurer to cancel if necessary. (ie jut in case auto renewal is on)

Until now all my prior insurers charge the renewal premium either on renewal date or maybe next day.

However Endsleigh has charged the full annual premium to my card 5 business days prior to renewal date. I intend to cancel and would expect no admin fee but is this early renewal being used elsewhere or is it just Endsleigh.?

Ive not come across it due to insurers not taking money 5 days before. What is the end date is on your policy ? Is it in 5 days time ?

What does the terms and conditions say re money taken 5 days before ?

Have you spoken to Endsleigh ?
  • ss53
    ss53 Posts: 90 Forumite
    The renewal quote said that the card would be charged 5 days prior to renewal date. I missed that statement as Im so used to it happening on renewal date. (So my own fault for not reading the detail)

Will be speaking to Endsleigh shortly and don't envisage an issue getting refund as they have a 14 day cooling off period.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    ss53 wrote: »
    The renewal quote said that the card would be charged 5 days prior to renewal date. I missed that statement as Im so used to it happening on renewal date. (So my own fault for not reading the detail)

Will be speaking to Endsleigh shortly and don't envisage an issue getting refund as they have a 14 day cooling off period.

Was intrigued how soon my current insurers would take payment and its 2 - 3 days before its due to end, looks like Endsleigh use 5 days.
  • cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,264
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Just renewed mine with Direct Line, the renewal notice states:-
    Your renewal premium will be collected in the usual way, at least 7 days after your renewal date.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure