Halve broadband costs or treble the speed

Options
The key to cheap broadband is to snap up short-lived promo deals, and right now there are two corkers. As always they come with line rental, and as that's far cheaper than getting broadband alone, you could just not plug in the phone.
Read the full story:
'Halve broadband costs or treble the speed'
OfficialStamp.gif
Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
Read the latest MSE News
Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail

Comments

• Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    There's obviously something wrong with the speed checker, as it says I get 55Mb, pretty good on a line that I know can only achieve 17Mb.

Come on MSE, please sort this out.
  • Caddyman
    Caddyman Posts: 342 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Only yesterday after receiving an email from Plusnet that my broadband price would be increasing from June, did I just initiate a switch back to BT for Infinity 1 unlimited fibre, 52mbps (I currently get around 40mbps though BT rate my line to a maximum of 50mbps as it is FTTC not FTTP.

Anyway for signing up, I get the latest BT router, a £200 reward card (which I have to claim for later) and following advice from another member in a different thread, I joined Topcashback for free and hopefully I should get another £80 back later, so all in all, if I get all of the cashback, it will work out a cheap deal over 12 months. I don't use the landline anyway (I don't own a landline telephone!), so saving on calls is irrelevant.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 5,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »
    There's obviously something wrong with the speed checker, as it says I get 55Mb, pretty good on a line that I know can only achieve 17Mb.

That site belongs to broadbandchoices, not MSE (unless they're related). That said it was accurate until half way through and then decided to just double mine.
  • tronator
    tronator Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Mister_G wrote: »

Your download speed is the one next to "YOU" in purple and underneath is the "average in your area" in blue. Maybe you took the wrong one as your speed.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,926 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well, just tried it again and get 48Mb, so something not right with it.
  • keithscott1
    keithscott1 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Options
    Clicking on the BT link and it offers £125 Mastercard and not £200 as stated on the MSE site. The expiry date's the coming Thursday.

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
  • Caddyman
    Options
    Clicking on the BT link and it offers £125 Mastercard and not £200 as stated on the MSE site. The expiry date's the coming Thursday.

Yes, since I signed up to BT Infinity on 16 May and that particular deal ended, BT have now dropped the £200 reward card down to £125.

I guess I'm fortunate, even though I'm still awaiting to be transferred to BT, I will still get the £200 card as that is what the agreement was when I signed up. I've read stories of people who later went to claim their reward card which was for a higher amount, to see that when they actually started their claim, it showed for a lower amount because the deal had changed. It doesn't matter, the card for the amount you signed up to the deal for is actually sent as customers who later claimed have testified.

Anyway, my own transfer from Plusnet to BT is progressing and I haven't picked up a telephone once to talk to anyone. Even though I was still in contract (only a week left to run) with Plusnet, because of their published price rise, there's no early termination charges. All being well, I should be up and running by the end of the month. I see these days, they don't even bother to change your telephone number anymore, it just transfers between companies as long as you are staying on the same exchange.

As I also mentioned in an earlier post, definitely worth joining Topcashback. I did and will earn £80 on top of the discounts and reward card that BT are throwing at me. Taking those rewards into account and BT's own new customer discount rate and line rental, my phone call package (not that I will ever use it) and 52mb unlimited fibre and the upfront charge for the new BT Smart Hub, it comes to £12.70 a month. Not bad for 10 minutes keyboard work and being bothered to switch. :D

I'll just have to remember to switch at the end of the 12 month contract!
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,594 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Caddyman wrote: »
    I'll just have to remember to switch at the end of the 12 month contract!

So far TalkTalk and Plusnet have changed their T&C to let me escape early, I'm hoping BT do the same.

If you phone or web chat them then you can save more money by paying line rental in advance.
  • Caddyman
    Options
    With the deal I've just taken out with BT, it's a 12 month contract anyway, so the line rental aspect doesn't come into it as far as paying in advance is concerned. Indeed, I couldn't even see that option being available when I signed up online. I can't see how I could possibly have saved anything further on the deal, especially with the reward card and the Topcashback.

I have to admit, I do like using webchat for certain things. Useful for giving notice to end your contract. I did that the last time I was with BT, gave notice by webchat and the bloke in the call centre tried to tell me I couldn't do that and that I would have to speak with retentions. I told him he was talking rubbish and that I would have a record of the webchat conversation and we left it at that. I then swapped to Plusnet. Now I'm swapping back to BT, a never ending merry go round!
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    I just hope they don't sucker one in for a few months on the cheap, then raise the price, giving one month's notice to scramble around looking for a deal, or be eaten by the new price increase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure