Rights if delayed

Good morning. Apologies if this has already been covered - I have had a quick look and cannot find similar.

I have advanced purchased a ticket Harrogate to London via Leeds in Feb. this is first class on a named train, and therefore relatively inexpensive. The Harrogate to Leeds service is notoriously late so the question (whichTrainline cannot answer and Rail Enquiries won't) is, if the local train is delayed and I catch the next Leeds-London train, will my ticket be honoured or will I be asked to buy a new one?

Many thanks if anyone knows!

Comments

• yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good morning. Apologies if this has already been covered - I have had a quick look and cannot find similar.

I have advanced purchased a ticket Harrogate to London via Leeds in Feb. this is first class on a named train, and therefore relatively inexpensive. The Harrogate to Leeds service is notoriously late so the question (whichTrainline cannot answer and Rail Enquiries won't) is, if the local train is delayed and I catch the next Leeds-London train, will my ticket be honoured or will I be asked to buy a new one?

Many thanks if anyone knows!
    The ticket(s) remain valid for the whole journey.

Not only do tickets remain valid, but furthermore Delay Repay compensation applies based on the arrival time into your final ticketed destination.

This applies irrespective of combinations of tickets held.

The Rail Delivery Group (RDG) released a memo to all train companies last week, reminding them of these facts. I don't think I can attach a copy of the memo on this forum, but if you would find it useful, I will provide a link to another forum which has the document attached.
  • I am - um - 70% sure that the Guard (still the right term?) on the 'late' London train I found myself using in that situation would say 'that's fine our fault on you go' but since neither the ticket provider nor National Rail can talk any sense it would be lovely to have that memo in my briefcase so many thanks and a link would be great.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Unless your ticket states otherwise only the London leg will be for a specific train. The Harrogate to Leeds leg may be valid on any service, so if you are concerned and being late matters get an earlier connecting service.

If your booked service is late as long as the Harrogate service leaves adequate connection time at Leeds you will be able to travel on the next service.

BTW using Trainline may be convenient, but not if things go wrong. Use a train company site to book.
  • Jono111
    Jono111 Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I would not get on a train I didn't have the correct ticket for unless I was ready for an embarrassing chat with the conductor in front of the other passengers and the possibility of a fine.

If the first train is late ask at Leeds what you can do if you have missed your second train.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I would not get on a train I didn't have the correct ticket for unless I was ready for an embarrassing chat with the conductor in front of the other passengers and the possibility of a fine.

Why would you be embarrassed? You have handed over money and got a valid ticket and one company or another are not holding up their end of the bargain.
    I agree with the comment about Trainline. not only do they charge a booking fee but it is harder to deal with problems surrounding delay repay with them rather than a rail company.
  • Jono111
    Jono111 Posts: 142 Forumite
    You have a valid ticket for a departed service, not for a later service.
    The bargin you refer to was the OP agreed to catch a named service and the train company charged them a bit less than for an open ticket.

A bit like when you miss your flight you can't simply barge your way onto the next one.
  • Chino
    Chino Posts: 2,029 Forumite
    Jono111 wrote: »
    A bit like when you miss your flight you can't simply barge your way onto the next one.
    It's nothing like that at all. Clause 9.4 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel states:
    Where you are using a Ticket valid on a specific train service or train services (such as an ‘advance’ Ticket) and you miss a service because a previous connecting train service was delayed, you will be able to travel on the next train service provided by the Train Company with whom you were booked without penalty.
    I'll reference the large print version of these conditions for you as you are clearly prone to gloss over detail:
    https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/Large%20Print%20National%20Rail%20Conditions%20of%20Travel.pdf
  • Many thanks. I knew there would be a definitive answer somewhere and now we have it. I shall keep it in mind if required.
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,519 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Don't forget if you do get an earlier train to reduce chances of a missed connection and have a longer wait in Leeds you can use the LNER First class lounge.

Entrance is opposite the ticket counter in Leeds station
  • yorkie2
    yorkie2 Posts: 1,595 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    daveyjp wrote: »
    Unless your ticket states otherwise only the London leg will be for a specific train. The Harrogate to Leeds leg may be valid on any service, so if you are concerned and being late matters get an earlier connecting service.

If your booked service is late as long as the Harrogate service leaves adequate connection time at Leeds you will be able to travel on the next service.
    There are websites that allow you to specify additional interchange time at Leeds, if this is of interest.

There is no contractual benefit to departing earlier from Harrogate, but if the arrival time into London is critical, this may be useful.
    daveyjp wrote: »

BTW using Trainline may be convenient, but not if things go wrong. Use a train company site to book.
    There is no loss of rights using a third party site.

Sometimes Trainline will be cheaper than LNER and sometimes LNER will be cheaper than Trainline.

Trainline don't offer a seat selector though there are other split ticket providers who do offer a seat selector.

If the first train is late ask at Leeds what you can do if you have missed your second train.
    You would take the next available LNER train and claim Delay Repay compensation from Northern rail.
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    Why would you be embarrassed? You have handed over money and got a valid ticket and one company or another are not holding up their end of the bargain.
    I agree with the comment about Trainline. not only do they charge a booking fee but it is harder to deal with problems surrounding delay repay with them rather than a rail company.
    I agree except it makes no difference with Delay Repay who you book with. Delay Repay always goes to the train company whose train caused you to be delayed.
    You have a valid ticket for a departed service, not for a later service.
    The bargin you refer to was the OP agreed to catch a named service and the train company charged them a bit less than for an open ticket.

I do not understand what you mean by this.

I am - um - 70% sure that the Guard (still the right term?) on the 'late' London train I found myself using in that situation would say 'that's fine our fault on you go' but since neither the ticket provider nor National Rail can talk any sense it would be lovely to have that memo in my briefcase so many thanks and a link would be great.
    The briefing is available as a PDF attachment in the opening post in this thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/delay-repay-applies-to-the-journey-regardless-of-number-of-tickets-held-mythbuster.198338 :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure