Average Electricity Costs Poll

1363738394042»

Comments

• We've moved in to a 4-bedroom semi-detached house in November with only electric heaters (elegance radiators) and we pay the landlord directly for electricity, which he currently charges us 12p unit (+VAT), we paid £263 for December just for heating (1800+ units) and an additional £150 for domestic electricity (note: the heating is on it's on supply with a separate meter)

I've just found this thread so you'll have to excuse me, I've not read through all 400+ posts.

Are we paying too much? :money:

Cheers,
    Ears.
  • amtrakuk
    amtrakuk Posts: 630 Forumite
    Rebob wrote: »
    In my house, 3 bed detached, there are 2 adults and a child. We have storage heaters and an immersion heater for the water. Our bill over the year is around £55.

Guessing you mean £55 a month? Either way well done. Mines about double that for a 3 bed end terrace.
  • amtrakuk
    rich123x wrote: »
    sse have just told me they are upping my payments to ...................................are you ready for this ..................................£244.00 per month for a tiny 2 bed bungalow!!!!!!!

Have you just switched to them? I had the same thing with EDF. It turns out because I switched to them in the the 4th quarter (winter) their computer measured my consumption over winter and assumed that was more normal usage. I've still got the letter;

Your payments are changing
    · We’ve changed your monthly Direct
    Debit payment amount to: £420.00
    · This change will be effective from
    01 May 12

Even the operator at the call centre was surprised and agreed it was high. After some joking about the figures and giving my meter readings for the 4 previous quarters we settled the DD should be about £105 a month.

Might be worth a go. Also if you don't have one, if you can shell out a few quid might be worth getting an energy meter. Even better while your on the phone to your energy company ask to see if they can send you one free of charge. I find mine vital now I've learnt to use it ;)
  • amtrakuk
    edited 9 February 2014 at 3:44PM
    DogEars wrote: »
    We've moved in to a 4-bedroom semi-detached house in November with only electric heaters (elegance radiators) and we pay the landlord directly for electricity, which he currently charges us 12p unit (+VAT), we paid £263 for December just for heating (1800+ units) and an additional £150 for domestic electricity (note: the heating is on it's on supply with a separate meter)

I've just found this thread so you'll have to excuse me, I've not read through all 400+ posts.

Are we paying too much? :money:

Cheers,
    Ears.

12p + vat a unit for the heating sounds about right, Im paying 11p a unit + vat + 22p/day standing charge for isupplyenergy. My total lekky for the house (hot water and cooking etc) works out about 35-40 units a day with the heating on timers or 65-70 units a day with them on 24/7 clicking on and off with their thermostats. Can you turn them off or fit timers? It makes a huge saving. In summer I use about 10-15 units day.

The £150 axillary supply does sound a bit steep. Is the hot water on the aux supply or on the heating supply?

Just thought you can switch the rads down a notch will save a few £££ to
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    "We've moved in to a 4-bedroom semi-detached house in November with only electric heaters (elegance radiators) and we pay the landlord directly for electricity, which he currently charges us 12p unit (+VAT), we paid £263 for December just for heating (1800+ units) and an additional £150 for domestic electricity (note: the heating is on it's on supply with a separate meter)"
    (Quoted from your message - pressed the wrong buttons I think)

As far as I know, VAT on heating is 5%, but your figures suggest he is charging 20% - not an expert so I'd check that out.
  • Made me re-think my supplier! I'm paying way too much!
  • royroy1
    royroy1 Posts: 20 Forumite
    I am amazed that people can get their electric for anywhere close to £30 a month, so please share with us all which company you are with? and how you can get it so cheap?

I am paying around £270 a month for electric and gas, last months bill was £180.13 for electric (991 units) and £82.11 for gas (190 units), I've checked all the comparison sites and am in the process of switching but couldn't find any options that would save me more than a couple of quid. My bills are a struggle and I would love to know how to get them cheaper, so please share.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure