NST May 2018: May the odds be ever in your favour!

Comments

• 12 NSDs - 3/12
    • Budgets - £250 food and £100 social - £89.74 food and £7.60 social
    • Continue batch cooking for the little one (remembering to include a larger variety of meals) - 3 portions of veggie omelettes and 3 portions of veggie lasagna made. Rooted around the freezer and we're running low on soup and risotto so I'll make some more of that next weekend
    • Make an extra £93 through surveys - £46.69 made to date
    • Continue building the full and final fund - £32.93 added to date
    • I'm making up Christmas gift boxes for local disadvantaged children. So far I've done two teenage boys and started on a boy 9-12 months but still more to get for him so I'll continue with that
    • Plans - safari park and dinner/new avengers movie. Will also allow for a visit to soft play and I need to take the little one swimming as we're holidaying in June and he's never been in a pool - safari park cancelled, soft play on the 12th with friend and her daughter
    • Read as much as possible - 1 book in progress, 1 book finished
    • Finish my final OU essay for this module
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Hello :wave:
    Today was definitely not a nsd. I'd planned weeks ago with my sister to take my mam out for afternoon tea, as it's her birthday tomorrow. I also had to bribe the kids with takeaway pizza to get dd to babysit while I was out. :o It was a lovely day and I am just relieved that I had my tutoring to help to pay for it. I have another couple of spendy days coming up this month as well.
    Still recording all of my spends to get a hang on things, and still being as careful as I can be given my circumstances. I'm very grateful for the nice weather though, which is helping me to keep my mood up :j
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,319 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    greent wrote: »
    Milk - yes - just freeze it standing up if it's already been opened. Maybe decant into smaller bottles if it's a large one and close to/ on its use by date :)
    One point on the milk...it may separate when it's defrosted, something do with the cream being heavier or something. Give it a shake before pouring or it will be like skimmed until you hit the bottom. :)

Hats off to you marathon runners littleskintdragon and x_raphael_xx. We'll done. Unfortunately, I'm not a runner as much as I'd like to be. But my running fitness dissappears so quickly and then it's hard to build up again. That's why I started triathlons. Shorter runs and cycling and swimming mixed in which I'm better at. Have you always run? I only started tris in my mid thirties. Sorry for going off topic.
    I used to think people who run were nutters. Then I was 17 stone and decided to do something about and signed up to the gym. The instuctor wrote me a plan, which included running on the treadmill, and I found I loved it :D been running (mostly) ever since, about 14 years.

Sorry for missing the last couple of days. Been so tired the last couple of nights.
    Had a lovely couple of days off, yesterday I did parkrun then went to the gym for a PT session. BF worked on Donnas run, and apart from some top soil and sewing the seeds its done.
    Today I went out with Duncan for a run, then sunbathed the rest of the day.

[FONT=&quot]Money[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]know your income and outgoings. Haven't spent yet :D

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Me[/FONT][FONT=&quot] time:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Look after yourself. Revive an old hobby. Exam practice. Haven't practiced today.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Move[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Two runs and a PT session :)

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Activation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: What spurs you on to keep on the path? Been listening to more podcasts and weightloss progs.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Arm[/FONT][FONT=&quot] yourself [/FONT][FONT=&quot]: Whether you opt to work more or to spend less in order to achieve your goal, stand firm against the naysayers. Been keeping up with the surveys.
    Planned spends this month - £20 tattoo deposit.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]You[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Today I am grateful for a day with no 'to-do's and a chance to lie in the sun.
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    19 NSD: 6/19 NSDs Achieved.
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Minimalism: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Day Four, 4 items. - Freecycled a cat carrier the prevoius owners had left in the loft. 2 Hoodies for the charity shop, and binned the carry bag my boxing pads came in (Never going to use it again)
    Day Five, 5 items - T-shirt, skirt, dress and phonecase for the charity pile. Unused hair stuff for the bin.
    Day Six, 6 items - Two old bras, a pair of holey socks and a drawer smelly for the bin. Lightup shoe laces (joke xmas gift from bro) also for the bin. Running belt for the charity pile.
    [/FONT]

Check in every day. Here I am finally! :o[/FONT]
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Kerry_Woman
    Kerry_Woman Posts: 3,133 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 6 May 2018 at 9:21PM
    NSD: 4/19 NSD achieved today.
    Motivation: To be more mindful regarding spending. This is going to be ongoing. So far doing ok with not doing emotional spending and not spending without thinking.
    Money: The budget for each category is done.
    Me time: Just read 2 of my books and wordsearch.
    Move: Walked from/to bus stop to Mum's grave.
    Activation: This thread at the moment.
    Arm yourself: Will have to stand strong in my quest against consumerism and acquiring more. Still doing this. Kept this under control today.
    Donation to charity: Done for the month.
    You.
    Grateful for:
    Having a nice chat with brother and sister on the phone.
    Lovely weather to walk in and for having the windows open in the flat.
    Having a very chilled out day and evening.
    Having enough rest/sleep.
    Spent time watching Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back/Return of the Jedi. Really love watching these films.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
  • Puddleglum
    Puddleglum Posts: 851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've had a spendy day today. Tomorrow sees the start of a mini, 4week detox, so lots of food that I'm going to have to steer clear of has been eaten (can I live without eggs and coffee?).

Much work has been done.

Currently grateful that I'm not as drunk as the carousing people outside. There will be a few headaches there tomorrow but not here. The weather was fantastic today.
    "A thousand candles can be lit from a single candle without shortening the life of that candle."

I still am Puddleglum - phew!
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Motivation: Short term goal - paid £10 to CC from flebay sale
    Money: Didn't spend anything at photography exhibition last night and managed free parking. Popped to Asda - had planned a roast but waaay too warm to be cooking that. Had Nand0 marinated chicken with savoury rice, coleslaw, hm per1na1se, hm potato salad and warm flatbreads & salad. Also bought much needed PJs, shorts and boxers for DS2 & 3 (they don't actually have many new clothes - lots of handmedowns)
    Move: yep - lots of here and there in house and garden again

Activation: What spurs you on? - garage tidying today brought forth lots of recycling (bottles from EOs) and some pretty paper and coloured raffia which I can use on gifts. Also used a box and some packaging paper on a flebay sale. OH cleaned and tidied caravan ready for possible sale and found an old notebook of mine and a large new pack of funky plasters which I thought I'd left in America in 2016! :)

Arm yourself :Fell over a bit today - but DS3 did need some more boxers, DS2 has no summer (short) PJs and DS3 had only 2 pairs of shorts. Also bought some bedding plants (bargain 3 trays for £5) to put in pots and pretty the place up. The garden and porch should be joyful :)

You. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful.
    * finding pretty raffia and paper in garage to use on gifts
    * beautiful weather
    * line dried washing
    * funky patterned plasters being found! :)

19 NSD:2/19.

Foodbank/ charity donation of £5. - monthly DD to WWT. 2 bags of items donated to shoebox appeal - new bag started today

Pay to your debt/savings FIRST and live off the rest. - done

Plan the month: every single day: what you are doing, what you are eating, especially with the Bank Holidays and half term, birthdays, anniversaries. - sort of - have written in work days, day when collecting DD from uni, DS3's, my mum's, my sister's, my aunt's and bestie's husband's bdays... Am not going to plan food, though).

Check in every day. here :hello:
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • bizzie
    bizzie Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Quiet day at home enjoying the weather. No spending, though have made a list of bits needed for the week ahead, now at NSD #4/19.
    Grateful for washing dried outside, time to do puzzles and day off tomorrow.
    Groceries: Personal Spend: 0 NST NSD Goals for 2024:Self: Health: Wealth :
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Hi all :j

Motivation:
    what is your personal motivation for joining in with the turtles? My motivation is to cut down on the unnecessary spending and pay for some renovations to this property. In order to do this I think we need to be saving money by doing any jobs we can realistically (!) do ourselves. Not much done on this front today although DSHs efforts with the weedkiller plus the hot sun seems to be seeing off the weeds in the path. Failed a bit with unnecessary spending as bought a top from a FB selling site ( I know! I know!) when I a) should have had an NSD and b) have more than enough tops grrrr. In my defence it was only £14 posted & by using PayPal I realise I have a fair balance in there..

Money: know your income and outgoings. All DD bills should have gone out by now and I am going to add up our income, that won't take very long.. so far have done one grocery shop, have receipt for that to hand. Grocery bill so far £25.43. Just cat litter & a couple of other things today, need receipt from DH. No groceries today, ate what we already have in & plan to continue as far as possible.

Me time: look after yourself. Get enough sleep; eat well; move; do things you enjoy. A bit of this today but had to do a lot of clearing up this morning as DDs friend came to pick her up & wanted to see the kitten. They then went off to Manchester till tomorrow so peace reigns. Too hot to garden but did some knitting this evening.

Move: being active benefits your body and your mind. You know that. Now do it. Only moving to do cleaning, feel very tired though.

Activation: what spurs you on to keep on the path? Have not done much decluttering but have identified some items to sell to a fellow collector. Just need to find out how to price, which will be tricky as rare items & not available so need to research somehow. Did some sorting of winter bedding clothes etc trying not to feel overwhelmed but it's difficult when there is so much stuff - grits teeth, onward & upwards! Pile of DHs old polo shirts to go.

Arm yourself : you have chosen to follow a path that many mock and despise - that of ridding yourself of debt and financial constrictions in order to be free; free to choose what to do with your money and time, not enslaved to repaying or to other people. Glad we are not bothered about 'keeping up with the Joneses' - have done that a long time ago but really do not care any more. It's how some people validate themselves & that's fine, but not for me. We are now free from paid work commitments but spent many years getting there, wish it had been sooner.

You. Are you happy in yourself? Know what brings you joy, what cheers your heart, what makes you pause and wonder. Don!!!8217;t just stop and smell the coffee in the morning; practise stopping and looking around throughout the day. Appreciate what you have. Be grateful. Gratitudes for the nice weather, for progress, for cute kitten & lovely dogs, for help & support on this forum, for flowers blooming, for peace & quiet, for DH.

NSD s still 3/19 so far

Check ins: 6/31

Not done charity donation yet but will arrange asap.
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    SFD number 2 yesterday. Used cashback voucher from my credit card for fruit, veg and ice lollies. Walked the dogs, did aqua aerobics, mowed the lawn and had a BBQ at my parents :) Today should be another SFD as I!!!8217;m swimming and then walking :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • laurenh1
    laurenh1 Posts: 769 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Good morning all,

So still on NSD #2. Yesterday was a fail because I had to go back to Clark's AGAIN because my sons replacement shoes rubbed again. luckily this time the lady was fab & I really think these ones will be a much better fit. They were £2 more though .

Did lots of baking yesterday & made some lovely treats . Used up my lemons & for lemon drizzle and made one for my friend. Left over chicken went into a stir-fry for tea!

Local duck race later so walking there about 12 ish to make sure we get a good spot.

I hope everyone is having a lovely weekend :o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport